Sponsored by:

Seatbelt swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Seatbelt swap?

Has anyone done a seatbelt swap (i.e. black for red, etc.) AFTER receiving the car? I am considering it since Brandywine Porsche is having a 50% off labor deal and I am going there already for H&R springs to be installed.

I want to swap in red belts.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep in mind that the color belts will show all dirt. I know, I know, it LOOKS great, but I passed on doing Red Belts on my Guards C4S Cab once I saw them in person. They look great, for a few weeks.

Same for silver and yellow. If you don't drive it much, no problem. If you do, expect to see dirt and marks on them.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Dro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost 6000 miles on my C2S in about 4 months and the red belts look brand new. no marks or scuffs at all. I would deffinately do it over again.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Now I just need to figure out how much $$$ and if it's worth it to me...

Eric - any word on the iPod integration??
Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 PM
gxlex
Intermediate

I'm also interested in swapping my belt and with the 50%off labor it a great deal. do you know the cost of the red seatbelt?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Keep in mind that the color belts will show all dirt. I know, I know, it LOOKS great, but I passed on doing Red Belts on my Guards C4S Cab once I saw them in person. They look great, for a few weeks.

Same for silver and yellow. If you don't drive it much, no problem. If you do, expect to see dirt and marks on them.
Eric -

I bet the owner of the car with red belts was "clean" challenged (caveat: I obviously don't know the guy... just playing the odds here). I've had red belts on my 993 for the last 4,000 miles. No dirt; I don't know where it would come from.

If the car's clean, the belts are clean.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gxlex
I'm also interested in swapping my belt and with the 50%off labor it a great deal. do you know the cost of the red seatbelt?
Yeah the Red Seatbelts are $800 USD for 4, that's what I found. It includes/is the whole seatbelt module/locking mechanism, not just the nylon.

I know I'm buying them no questions, and I've had coloured belts before--never had problems with fade or dirt.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cleanme
Yeah the Red Seatbelts are $800 USD for 4, that's what I found. It includes/is the whole seatbelt module/locking mechanism, not just the nylon.

I know I'm buying them no questions, and I've had coloured belts before--never had problems with fade or dirt.
Where is that quote from? My dealer quoted me quite a bit higher for just the parts.
Thanks
Allan
Old 11-27-2006, 12:52 AM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sharptt
Where is that quote from? My dealer quoted me quite a bit higher for just the parts.
Thanks
Allan
I got that quote from Suncoast Porsche, it's just parts as well. Yeah it's definitely a good price my local dealer was asking $1150 USD ($1300CDN) so even though I have to pay shipping/duty it's a good deal!

EDIT: I'm phoning them tomorrow so I'll let you guys/gals what's up and to confirm some things.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

At $800 for a set, it'll depend on whether the labor is relatively quick. At $1000+, the attraction of red belts becomes less important. Consider that I will have H&R springs purchased and installed for less than that...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:08 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My own personal philosophy just to give you another perspective... I'll take advantage of a special or deal to improve the performance of my car, but never for aesthetics. Before deciding on ordering my 07C2S I looked at some leftovers on dealer lots. Anything with colored belts I ignored - just not in me to pay more for the same seat belts just in a different color. Even on some where the discount basically gave colored belts for free (saw some with silver and red) I still wasn't interested. You might go through the trouble of changing perfectly good black belts for red ones and a year from now if you decide to get a GT3, the next guy might say "if only it didn't have those red belts". I'm not saying that's typical, but just look around and see how many people even paid $550 to have colored belts put in up front to determine what the general market feels about them. I'd also rather not have them taking apart something as important as seat belts at the dealer. If you are determined to spend say $1000 on seat belts, think if there is another performance modification you can do for that... Then again, if you have your heart set on it, do what makes you happy. If you really can't decide, consider writing a check for $1k to your favorite charity - it's that time of the year ;-)
Old 11-27-2006, 01:15 PM
KANSAS997
Instructor

I did the conversion to red... Love it, no dirt issues. Actually I pulled my rears out after about a month of having them because I put in the Techquipment rollbar. So I have a new set of rears in red that are sitting in a box in my basement... Hint, Hint...Clue, Clue...anyone!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:36 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KANSAS997
I did the conversion to red... Love it, no dirt issues. Actually I pulled my rears out after about a month of having them because I put in the Techquipment rollbar. So I have a new set of rears in red that are sitting in a box in my basement... Hint, Hint...Clue, Clue...anyone!
PM Sent! Dibs!

RonCT it is true some people might not like the red belts and that $800 could have been used for something else is completely true. But for me, not having that contrast in my car and the aesthetics are killing me. It's a big bullet to bite but once I 'swallow' it I'm sure I'll forget about the price
Old 11-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Ron - you make some very good points...

I am going to be spending about $1K to get my H&R springs installed/aligned. If I spend another $1400 (plus the $1K I would have spent on seatbelts), I can get the Tubi exhaust I am jonesing for... AND keep my warranty.

The best point you made was about the stealership installing safety equipment.... *shudder*
Old 11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cleanme
I got that quote from Suncoast Porsche, it's just parts as well. Yeah it's definitely a good price my local dealer was asking $1150 USD ($1300CDN) so even though I have to pay shipping/duty it's a good deal!

EDIT: I'm phoning them tomorrow so I'll let you guys/gals what's up and to confirm some things.
Suncoast also gave me quoted me higher than that around a month ago. Supposedly list price is 437.50 per belt so I'd be surprised to see a set of 4 for "only" $800.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt swap?