Xpel vs Invisible Mask Lens Protector Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Xpel vs Invisible Mask Lens Protector Comparison

I've had a lot of bad experiences with breaking lenses on Houston roads, so on my past 997, and my new 997S, I have decided to try to protect the headlight lenses with the commercially available lens protector systems. On my first 997, I bought the Xpel system. Then through my feeblemindedness, I forgot where I bought the Xpel system, and bought a competitor's product from Invivible Mask for the 997S. When I recieved the Invisible Mask product, I was dissapointed with how thin the product was compared to Xpel, and also that the product lacked instructions and a squeegee tool to install it. Invisible Mask will not take returns, so I am stuck with the product. However, through the good fortunes of RennList, a fellow member had a spare set of Xpel protectors, and sent them to me. I've taken some photo's so you can all see the differences. Also, I would like to pay forward the good graces of our fellow member, so if you would like the Invisible Mask product, just PM your address to me, and I'll ship them to you.

Here is a look at the Xpel package. Note the white rectangle in the middle of the package. This is a squeegee that is included to help with installation.

Here is the Invisible Mask product. I realize you can't see much in the photo. All four of the pieces are there on the white paper backing.

Xpel includes instructions on the package.

There were no instructions in the Invisible Mask package. Their web page includes instructions on installation of their clear bra product. These instructions are fine, and I'm sure they apply also to the headlight protectors. Still I prefer to have them sent to me with the product.

Finally, a comparison of the thickness of the two products. Invisible Mask on the left, Xpel on the right. I'm sorry you can't make out the Invisible Mask better, but it is just too thin to get a good image of it.

Does the thickness matter in protecting the headlight lenses? I can't honestly say I know for sure, but at least in my mind the difference seems like it should matter. I can tell you from experience with having installed Xpel before, that once installed, you can not see them at all from a distance of more than about 4 feet.

I hope this information is useful to everyone. Again, PM me if you would like to have the Invisible Mask product sent to you gratis. They will fit any 997 or 997S.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Where did you buy the Xpel ? Doing a quick quick search I only found Autosport. TIA
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried 2 products. One was advertised on the auction site and was a rather thin sheet applied with a wetting solution and shifted into place after squeeging out the water. I had to throw that away; couldn't get it to work because of the curvature of the lens.
I tried a second set from Griots Gararge and was impressed. This is a much thicker sheet that has adhesive, once positioned it smoothed out nicely and is virtually transparent. much, much better. Don't remember the exact name of either one
Old 11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Autosport is who I bought the Xpel from. Not only do they sell what I think is the best product, they also have the best price. no affiliation
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dndodd
Where did you buy the Xpel ? Doing a quick quick search I only found Autosport. TIA
www.xpel.com

You can order directly from the manufacturer online.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:27 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thanks for the responses.

eom.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 130 Posts

Does anyone manufacture protections for the fog lights? These are low and positioned to take a beating..

Thanks

Matt
Old 11-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor. Get a clear bra with full hood coverage. You will be much happier.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:17 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I got a set from Giots. It looks similar to the thickness of the expel product and also is made by 3M But it did not come with a squeege. Also the directions were poor. My only issuse was that one of the cut outs was just a few mm too large which i didnt notice So it just ever so slightly "over hangs" the top of the light. Cant cut it...to short to cut and it would look worse b/c it wouldnt be precision cut. The other side was perfect. So test them out verry carefully before application. Little bit tricky to apply where the light curves on top. The air bubbles are a PITA. I used the alcohol method which allows some manipulation and readjustment before permantent stick occurs.

However, the package came with covers for the foglights and turnsignals so that was good. But no regets about it now.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Does anyone manufacture protections for the fog lights? These are low and positioned to take a beating..

Thanks

Matt
Both he Xpel and the Invisible Mask kits include fog light/turn indicator protectors. I"m sorry I didn't mention that. Also, for what it is worth, the price is actually cheaper at www.Autosport.com than it is from the manufacturer.

Someone mentioned a clear bra. I have had three installed over the past year on two different vehicles (long story). None of those have included headlight covers. At least from my experience, the headlight protectors are considered an additional service, and unlike the clear bra, they are an easy diy project.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
SYMA
Pro

Looking at the picture on the bottom mglobe the film on the right side is very dull and yellow compared to the much clearer film on the left. I believe this will interfere with the true color of the xenon lights. They may not appear as bright and blue as they should.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

The film on the right (Xpel) has a brown paper backing on it. The Invisible Mask on the left has white paper backing on it. I can assure you from my previous install that the Xpel film is completely clear.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM
SYMA
Pro

Oh ok. It looked so yellow. Good.

Quick Reply: Xpel vs Invisible Mask Lens Protector Comparison