Sponsored by:

Leather Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather Question

I recently discovered a 4" long scuff mark in the leather side bolster of the driver's seat back, on the door side of the seat. The interior is black full leather and the seat is a sport adaptive btw.

Regardless of how it got there is there a way of hiding the scuff so it doesn't show?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There should be high end leather/upholstery shops your dealer likely uses that can dye the swatch of leather that is scuffed. I had this done on an Audi S4 and the scuff mark was completely undetectable.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:31 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheepskins!!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. The placement of the seat belt is such that it rubs on the side bolster and sands off the finish. I am going to take it up with the dealer & PCNA at the 20K service. The dealer took pictures of it several months ago and nothing has been done yet. If and how this design blunder will be addressed is unknown. The only guarantee is multiple emails, letters, dealer visits, etc.

I(and probably many others) have a problem with the cabrio wind deflector interfering with the sport seat back and it took six months of emails and dealer visits just to get them to acknowledge the design problem. The resolution was that they were not going to do anything. It is highly unlikely that this misfit has been corrected and I suspect that cars are still being produced with this design defect.

The wear appears unavoidable. The only practical solution I see is a sacrificial panel of matching leather or other material, perhaps fastened with double faced tape.

Fixing it will not be efficacious, it will come back.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my adaptive sport seats, and the dealer had the problem fixed at their cost by an independent contractor who visits their business. I have reprogrammed my seat to a more posterior position when I unlock the car, get in, then hit the number 2 buttun to get into driving position. My impression was that sliding across the bolster on ingresss and egress might be contributing to the wear, though five months and five thousand miles seems a bit early for this kind of wear. The location of the wear was the same as yours, though not as severe.

Jerry
Old 11-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Leatherique makes all dyes for leather and mostly can match any leather. They also have some pads that can assist in removal of the scuff. It may take the Rejuvinator oil to soften the area enough for it to relax so you can best repair it.

You'll need to send Leatherique a sample to match color exactly if they do not have one on file.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 11-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil G.
There should be high end leather/upholstery shops your dealer likely uses that can dye the swatch of leather that is scuffed. I had this done on an Audi S4 and the scuff mark was completely undetectable.
Correct.A good leather repairer should be able to repair the scuff so it is undetectable.I had a small scuff on the back of my seat and the guy mixed and matched the terracotta colour by eye(no easy task),and repaired it in about an hour.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another technique for removing superficial scuffs in leather is Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean. Damn thing really works.

Quick Reply: Leather Question