Sponsored by:

Lowering the Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by golfman
Guy's Thanks for the reply's and the pics. I will have it done now. Got the estimate today. $379.00 for H&R springs $540.00 for labor and $215.00 for realignment.

Is that about what everybody paid?

Yep, right around $1100-1200 was I was quoted too.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Very informative post. Much appreciated.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have H&R springs. Honestly, I noticed very little difference in handling but I have yet to take them on a track. The ride is largely similar to stock although over extremely rough pavement (Like I-95 from Delaware to Philadelphia), the car becomes noticeably more rough and jumpy. Otherwise, I have few complaints other than the occasional scrape of the front end.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Rave
Advanced

Why??? So you're much brighter than the designers of the car, eh? One of life's great pleasures is listening to people scraping their undersides on speed bumps etc. Lower you're car if it will make some difference on the track but don't take it on the public roads. Small clearance = small p...s.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rave
Small clearance = small p...s.
And that's why the Porsche that belongs to the extremely well-endowed Rave looks like this:
Old 11-03-2006, 01:14 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rave
Why??? So you're much brighter than the designers of the car, eh? One of life's great pleasures is listening to people scraping their undersides on speed bumps etc. Lower you're car if it will make some difference on the track but don't take it on the public roads. Small clearance = small p...s.
The designers of the car are burdened by regulatory concerns, appeasing the comfort needs of its intended consumers, and compromising ride height for potential owners who may live in areas with less than ideal road or driveway surfaces.

Improving a car for one's own preferences is not an attempt to outsmart the engineers but rather improve performance for a very minor sacrifice.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Remember the Euro 997's are lower than the USA version.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBonus
The designers of the car are burdened by regulatory concerns, appeasing the comfort needs of its intended consumers, and compromising ride height for potential owners who may live in areas with less than ideal road or driveway surfaces.

Improving a car for one's own preferences is not an attempt to outsmart the engineers but rather improve performance for a very minor sacrifice.
Thank you...well stated!!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This question has been raised since about 1950,--for all Porsches. Everyone wants to lower their Porsches. It was aggrivated by Federal bumper heights, and other issues. Some of it is caused by Porsche's perspective that US highways are unsuitably maintained for our Porsches, and thus being lower would damage a lot of things. As a result, they have struck a compromise. They hold the US cars up a bit higher than they can potentially be lowered,--and they have tailored their handling adjustments accordingly.

Any shop can adjust your car lower, but fine tuning it to deliver the same performance is more of an art. Good specialty shops can do that, but you are sometimes getting into a difficult area. You may compromise your handling for the appearance.
Hey Edgy - where do you take your car for the art work?

(I gotta' change my avatar & sig so you guys know I'm also a 997 owner.)

Quick Reply: Lowering the Car