Sponsored by:

Lowering the Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 AM
golfman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the Car

I was thinking of using H&R springs to lower the car. Will that effect the ride of the car very much? If so is it worth doing? I am worried about changing the handling of the car in a negative way.

I can't stand the amount of height from the tire to the fender so I would be doing this only for the look.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

This question has been raised since about 1950,--for all Porsches. Everyone wants to lower their Porsches. It was aggrivated by Federal bumper heights, and other issues. Some of it is caused by Porsche's perspective that US highways are unsuitably maintained for our Porsches, and thus being lower would damage a lot of things. As a result, they have struck a compromise. They hold the US cars up a bit higher than they can potentially be lowered,--and they have tailored their handling adjustments accordingly.

Any shop can adjust your car lower, but fine tuning it to deliver the same performance is more of an art. Good specialty shops can do that, but you are sometimes getting into a difficult area. You may compromise your handling for the appearance.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:01 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The answers to your questions are not really and yes, respectively. Do a search; there are quite a few people here with H&R springs.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

'Search' will help you; lots of info/posts on this topic.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Golfman...........Why?????
Old 10-31-2006, 05:37 PM
quantimouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by D.D.
Golfman...........Why?????
Uhm, isn't it obvious from what he wrote?

I can't stand the amount of height from the tire to the fender so I would be doing this only for the look.
Lowering your car too much can have negative effects, so to say there is no effect on ride is pretty off. It really depends.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Per the H&R Springs, I am very pleased with them. I had them installed at Champion about a week after I received the car. I believe the C2S's are a bit lower to start with but I really thought that the reg 997 without PASM was riding very high. I had some reservations such as ride quality and making the car look "slammed". I really wanted to make sure that the car kept its classy look and I didn't want daily driving on less than perfect roads to cause cavity fillings to shake loose. Anyway, the ride quality is very close to stock and in some cases might be even better. The car feels more hunkered down and seems to have less body-roll in corners. Regarding the "look", I feel that it enhances the profile of the car and does not give it a cheesy slammed look. From my perspective, the only negative attribute is that you need to be a bit more careful regarding "dips" when exiting parking lots or steep driveways as the rubber striping under the front of the car tends to rub the pavement more if you don't go slow. In addition be weary of those concrete blocks used at the front of parking spaces as they will definitely cause damage to the front of you car if you pull too far forward (this can at times obviously happen at regular ride height as well). Last thought...make sure you get the car re-aligned after you install the springs.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:58 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowering your car too much can have negative effects, so to say there is no effect on ride is pretty off. It really depends.[/QUOTE]
Oh.......Ok.....Still don't get it?? Just for looks???? Performance???? Whatever...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
mxa4250
Intermediate

Thumbs up pic please

adfsouth, thank you for your post. I am looking to install H&R springs as well.
do you have pics of your car before and after?
I would really apprciate that.

thanks

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Per the H&R Springs, I am very pleased with them. I had them installed at Champion about a week after I received the car. I believe the C2S's are a bit lower to start with but I really thought that the reg 997 without PASM was riding very high. I had some reservations such as ride quality and making the car look "slammed". I really wanted to make sure that the car kept its classy look and I didn't want daily driving on less than perfect roads to cause cavity fillings to shake loose. Anyway, the ride quality is very close to stock and in some cases might be even better. The car feels more hunkered down and seems to have less body-roll in corners. Regarding the "look", I feel that it enhances the profile of the car and does not give it a cheesy slammed look. From my perspective, the only negative attribute is that you need to be a bit more careful regarding "dips" when exiting parking lots or steep driveways as the rubber striping under the front of the car tends to rub the pavement more if you don't go slow. In addition be weary of those concrete blocks used at the front of parking spaces as they will definitely cause damage to the front of you car if you pull too far forward (this can at times obviously happen at regular ride height as well). Last thought...make sure you get the car re-aligned after you install the springs.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't find the "before" ones but here are some "after" pics:
Attached Images    
Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to agree that when I first looked at the '07 C4S, I tho't ... "Wow, this is at SUV height!". There were several Porsches in the showroom and I walked around measuring with my fingers between the top of the fender arch and the top of the sneaker.

Wow ...!!

There is "substantial height" here, folks. (I believe I remarked on this some months past.) Seems some cars are a bit ... a bit ... lower, but not elegantly so.

I care for the look of Porsche's "generic 911" profile a great deal. I've had over a handful of these great cars. I've always (or nearly always) wanted my cars lower than delivered. The Gov't seems to step in from time to time to make the car higher here in the States while the rest of the world (ROW) enjoys a more aesthetically appealing profile.

When I purchased my 993 C4S a couple years ago, the first mod I wanted to do was reduce the SUV height to ROW (or RS height). I was able to find a vender that made the necessary components (in Belgium) ... most were Porsche or a Porsche supplier for ROW ... and had the job done.

I love the way the car looks. It also rides better ... not harsh, but very sporting. The car corners flatter as well. But, it's the look that really makes me happy.

Was it cheap? No ... not really. The car had new shocks, new springs, new sways and all the stuff that goes with that. The car was realigned and 4 corner balanced ... new sneakers hooked up in the rear as well. Well ...., I believe it was north of $4K. But, it's still the best mod I've done.

I'd love to drop my-yet-to-be-delivered 2007 C4S 1.5 inches or so. But, since I'll be 'renting', I'll probably just keep it at the stock level with which it will be delivered. (Sigh ......)

But, if I owned the car, I'd drop it. But, I'd do it properly and well sorted, too.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:41 AM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Can't find the "before" ones but here are some "after" pics:
Can you please post high res pics.... thanks.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
SB
Instructor

I have a couple of additional questions:
1 - Has anyone tracked 997S with H&R springs on the car? Does the car handle well with and without PASM on?
2 - Adequate suspension travel still available or does the car bottom out sometimes? Does anyone know how much suspension travel is available in inches?

Thanks

Serge <> NY
Old 11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
mxa4250
Intermediate

adfsouth,
Thanks for the pics. your car looks awesome. I decided to lower mine. this is how the car should be built.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If someone is just throwing on some lowering springs aren't the main factors (1) damper and spring rate compatibility and (2) potentially limited camber adjustability leading to more rapid tire wear?

My 993 is set up with lowered springs and there appeared to be far less camber adjustment left afterward. This was done by the PO but the Porsche service dept. was able to give me a pretty nuetral camber setting with my last alignment to help with what was some very poor tire longevity.

Quick Reply: Lowering the Car