997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006 | 08:20 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

go to the right shop and only good things will happen to your car. I do not have SPAM on my car so can not comment on effects. If do righ the car will handle much better. Lower center of gravity and such.
my car is 107mm from the ground in the front zero issues other then the front splitter.
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:24 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SB
I have a couple of additional questions:
1 - Has anyone tracked 997S with H&R springs on the car? Does the car handle well with and without PASM on?
2 - Adequate suspension travel still available or does the car bottom out sometimes? Does anyone know how much suspension travel is available in inches?
Serge brings up good points.

1. Yes, I have about 6 days pre-springs, and 4 days post-springs. I also aligned the car post-springs; front is -2 camber, 0 toe, and rear is -3 camber, smidge toe-in, iirc. PASM controls shock damping, PSM controls traction control / stability management. With PASM in normal, the ride is maybe 20% stiffer than stock. In PASM sport, it's about 15% stiffer than stock. That is, with H&Rs, the difference between normal and sport is lessened. PSM still intervenes when it feels like doing so, and the springs don't have an impact on how/when it intervenes.

2. Suspension travel is a non-issue. The H&R springs allow for less shock up-down motion than OEM springs, and I think the computer-controlled shocks adjust for the reduced travel. People have horror stories about lowering springs with mismatched OEM shocks; I don't think that's an issue with this car. Maybe on your cousin's '99 Altima, but not on a 997. I have never experienced bottoming out, and I don't drive the car gingerly.

Before springs:

Here's a PDE 997S, just like mine for comparison:

Notice the lift:

Sebring T16:

After springs:

Also Sebring T16:

Old 11-01-2006 | 09:44 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Hey, bro ... your black lowered car is bitchin' ...! Very, very nice. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout ! Why didn't Porsche do this in the first place? Euro front end crap with pedestrians crashes?
Old 11-01-2006 | 10:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

nkhalidi, I've got to get my c2s cab to your ride height! What shop did you work? Will you be at Sebring November 19th for the DE? I signed up for this event and it's my 1st. I'd like to call you and ask you some questions about what to do and expect.
thanks, Mike
Old 11-01-2006 | 11:07 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

I've had no issues at all with bottoming out and I agree with nkhalidi that the whole mismatched OEM shock thing really is not an issue with the 997. I've had it on the track (with springs) only once so far (at Sebring as well) and it felt great. I am very pleased with ride quality as well. Definitely use a reputable shop for the work though.
Old 11-01-2006 | 11:25 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota did the install and alignment for me; they've got a terrific service department. I'll be at Sebring on 11/18 with PCA, but not 11/19.
Old 11-01-2006 | 11:38 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

NICE!! Another C2S with PCCB's!! Looks close to my C2S, but no Aerokit or painted center crests. Different interior colors too. Nice to see another black with PCCB's!

Now THAT'S what a C2S SHOULD look like! Even though I have the Aerokit, I too will be going to H&R prior to winter (I hope). If I do get them prior to winter, a few pics will have to be done as well.

BTW, nice "artwork" in the garage!!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 11-01-2006 | 11:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Thanks guys. Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota did the install and alignment for me; they've got a terrific service department. I'll be at Sebring on 11/18 with PCA, but not 11/19.
\
The 18th is an instructors day only correct? That is what I was told and the website says. The 19th is the actual track day for everyone else that is not an instructor. I did not know your were an instructor. I would really like to talk with you.
thanks, Mike
Old 11-02-2006 | 10:53 AM
SB
Instructor

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=nkhalidi]Serge brings up good points.

1. Yes, I have about 6 days pre-springs, and 4 days post-springs. I also aligned the car post-springs; front is -2 camber, 0 toe, and rear is -3 camber, smidge toe-in, iirc. PASM controls shock damping, PSM controls traction control / stability management. With PASM in normal, the ride is maybe 20% stiffer than stock. In PASM sport, it's about 15% stiffer than stock. That is, with H&Rs, the difference between normal and sport is lessened. PSM still intervenes when it feels like doing so, and the springs don't have an impact on how/when it intervenes.

2. Suspension travel is a non-issue. The H&R springs allow for less shock up-down motion than OEM springs, and I think the computer-controlled shocks adjust for the reduced travel. People have horror stories about lowering springs with mismatched OEM shocks; I don't think that's an issue with this car. Maybe on your cousin's '99 Altima, but not on a 997. I have never experienced bottoming out, and I don't drive the car gingerly.

Thanks much for the info. It is really cool to see on-track before and after pictures. I didn't think that the shocks would be mis-matched to a slightly stiffer springs.

After coming form a rather stiff M3 with full-tilt suspenson upgrades, I was hoping that I could strike a decent balance by only upgrading springs and doing aggressive alighnment on a C2S.
Old 11-02-2006 | 11:27 AM
fluid15

adf & nkhalidi - your cars are gorgeous! Thx for the pics.
Old 11-02-2006 | 01:09 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by adfsouth
I've had no issues at all with bottoming out and I agree with nkhalidi that the whole mismatched OEM shock thing really is not an issue with the 997. I've had it on the track (with springs) only once so far (at Sebring as well) and it felt great. I am very pleased with ride quality as well. Definitely use a reputable shop for the work though.

I was hoping I can switch the springs myself. I a complete suspension upgrade on my M3 by myself. I don't know how involved it is with a 997. Hopefully, all I need is a spring compressor and some free time.
Old 11-02-2006 | 02:34 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Serge: I did all my E46 M3 suspension work myself as well. That car was pretty easy to work on, exposed strut hats and all. With the 997, I've done nothing more in-depth than bleeding brakes. The strut tops are in there somewhere, but I wasn't prepared to start removing carpet and panels just to get to the strut hats, especially considering that the 997 is more of a street car for me, and I didn't want to risk missing a step and having creaks/snaps/pops/bangs somewhere in the car. The H&Rs are, thankfully, noiseless. But from what I'm told, it's a pretty straightforward install; the time-consuming part is aligning. I also used to align my M3 myself, but haven't mustered up the courage for the 997.

And springs/alignment only are a PERFECT compromise setup for the 997. You and I come from similar cars; I assure you it'll work well. Heck, if you're in S. Fla, you can take my car for a spin and see what you think.

mdrums: The 18th is for both instructors and solo drivers; I'm solo, not an instructor. I do, however, have recs for instructors if you're interested. I sent you a PM.
Old 11-02-2006 | 03:51 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Serge: I did all my E46 M3 suspension work myself as well. That car was pretty easy to work on, exposed strut hats and all. With the 997, I've done nothing more in-depth than bleeding brakes. The strut tops are in there somewhere, but I wasn't prepared to start removing carpet and panels just to get to the strut hats, especially considering that the 997 is more of a street car for me, and I didn't want to risk missing a step and having creaks/snaps/pops/bangs somewhere in the car. The H&Rs are, thankfully, noiseless. But from what I'm told, it's a pretty straightforward install; the time-consuming part is aligning. I also used to align my M3 myself, but haven't mustered up the courage for the 997.

And springs/alignment only are a PERFECT compromise setup for the 997. You and I come from similar cars; I assure you it'll work well. Heck, if you're in S. Fla, you can take my car for a spin and see what you think.
Cool, now I'll just need to check if I can clear the driveway.
Old 11-02-2006 | 04:48 PM
golfman
Instructor

Guy's Thanks for the reply's and the pics. I will have it done now. Got the estimate today. $379.00 for H&R springs $540.00 for labor and $215.00 for realignment.

Is that about what everybody paid?
Old 11-02-2006 | 07:08 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Thanks fluid15!

I had an E46 M3 as well and would occationally indulge in DIYs....pretty easy car to work on. To be honest, I was a bit of a chicken with the 997 and brought it to Champion to do the springs. $1230 with springs, labor and alignment. A little pricey but they know what they're doing (piece of mind factor).

Quick Reply: Lowering the Car