Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurley Haywood on the tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Porky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tip is so great, why are Porsche working on a replacement AND why didn't they offer it on the Carrera GT - could save some poor blokes USD 20,000 a pop for a replacement clutch - check the CGT room - New clutch thread.

Lastly, I reckon Porshe got a great deal on their tips from the suppliers and are going to milk it as much as they can and they introduce the PDK - so all those who love tips will want the next best thing!

You can trust Porsche that much - they went against all their marketing last year on the 987 cs Cayman engines by putting the same engines in both cars! That upset a lot of folks who would have loved the extra horses in their Boxsters.

Mark my words the PDK is only around the corner.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would care what anyone else thinks about their purchase decisions.

The Haywood quote makes perfect sense to me.

I bet 95-99% of the population can't drive well enough for the standard to make a difference. For these people, the automatic is easier, and thus they may well be faster with the automatic.

What are your goals for driving? Do you get 100% out of your car now? I bet 95% or more of us don't even get 80% out of it. If my assumption is true, then it doesn't matter from a performance aspect whether you get a stick or an auto.

If it doesn't matter, then you should get what you want . . . what makes you happy. Everyone else's opinion is irrelevant . . .
Old 10-21-2006, 07:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoney
why do you think porsche charges more for the tip........................?????? they know its a more advanced piece of technology. which it is. all these die hard stick guys need to chill out about it. respect to all.
Dude, you said it all! Chill people!

I'd also like to ad that I bet most all of you IF you did a track day would be faster with the Tiptronic weather you believe it or not. Yes the 6 speed is fun and you can go play boy racers and all. However for me I am stuck with having to drive some sort of auto or clutchless tranny.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by B-Line
Yes, tips perform better, yes, girls can drive them..
Hey . . . this girl loves her 6 speed!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:11 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A novice would be faster with tip since they would not know how to match revs. An experienced driver would be much faster in the 6 speed. F1 tranny is a different story but Porsche does not make those.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:18 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Since most of us cannot get 99% of the performance out of our cars, we are better served purchasing Honda Civics.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:38 PM
himichael
Instructor

i drove a porsche tip. blech! it's just a slushbox. feels like a slushbox. does not do what i want when i want. my 6 speed does what i tell it to do. and don't tell me you can make the tip do what you want. "if i stomp on the accelerator just so, it will downshift." that proves my point: i downshift and upshift exactly as i deem appropriate, not when the car thinks i should.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:18 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
...99.99 percent of the driving public is better served with an automatic transmission--it's just easier....
HH is 100% accurate. 99.99% percent of the driving public (non-porsche owners) should drive automatic. The .01% left are Porsche owners
Old 10-22-2006, 07:27 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
I think 0.8 sec is off by about an order of magnitude... that's 800ms.

The BMW SMG shifts in 80ms in Sport Mode / Level 6. I drove my buddy Steve's M3 yesterday, out Novato Blvd in San Rafael, CA from 101 to the Cheese Factory and back. I was _very_ impressed. We scared the living sh_t out of some cows, too...

When Porsche has a DSG, we'll see. I love the fact that the SMG will roll backward on a hill... it's a servo-controlled manual trans without a clutch pedal. Strange concept at first, becomes incredibly intuitive in minutes. And if you must, the auto mode is... well, full freaking Automatic. Best of both worlds.

-d
One thing I must say is I *love* my SMG. I'm a very comfortable manual driver, but the SMG is really the best of both worlds - when I am driving aggressively it performs as well as any manual, and when I would like to just drive in traffic, changing gears is only a click away. That being said, the "automatic" mode on the SMG is absolutely garbage. It is so damn unintuitive it's ridiculous!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
HH is 100% accurate. 99.99% percent of the driving public (non-porsche owners) should drive automatic. The .01% left are Porsche owners
Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

I haven't read the latest Christophorous, but if Haywood said that regarding the non-turbo 997, I've lost all respect for him. The automatic is simply NOT faster, especially around a racetrack, and you don't have to be a pro to realize it. The automatic is heavier, less efficient, and has taller gearing. Those are facts, not biased opinions or outright marketing BS.

If you aren't capable of driving a manual, or just choose not to, that's fine...it's your $73-140k to spend as you please. But to argue that a non-Turbo 997 automatic is somehow faster and/or more advanced than the manual only demonstrates ignorance. And, yes, I own a 997 with Tiptronic and I drive it on the track, so I do know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the Tip does shifts faster than many stick drivers, even porsche ones. And the ability to use left foot braking allows you to get on the throttle a bit earlier as well coming out of a corner. The taller gearing depending on the track saves time from not shifting as much, even with the slight acceleration loss from the heavier tip.
The rocker switch I must admit is a mixed bag. convenient but so easy to mi****.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icon
you gotta remember boo!
hurley is on porsches payroll
And he is so full of himself that he cannot imagine anyone but him being able to properly downshift
Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
...the ability to use left foot braking allows you to get on the throttle a bit earlier as well coming out of a corner. The taller gearing depending on the track saves time from not shifting as much, even with the slight acceleration loss from the heavier tip...
I see you're in LA as well. Which organizations do you usually run track events with?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

It would be interesting to take 2 identical 997's to the track,one tip,one manual,and do a comparison with drivers with varying racetrack ability and compare laptimes.

Quick Reply: Hurley Haywood on the tip