Sponsored by:

Reviving the car after a dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving the car after a dead battery

On Sunday I came out to find a fully discharged battery (the headlights were left on), so I pluged it into my battery maintainer for a few hours and the car started right up. In the manual it indicated that the PSM should clear itself, which it did. The PSAM however is not working. The SPORT mode will activate, but the PSAM will not. Any suggestions on how to clear this fault short of scheduling a dealer service.

Thanks,

JFS

Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a dead battery you have to jump the front hood to get it to open. You do that by hooking jumper cables to the fuse box. It's covered in the Manual and easier than one would think.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
If you have a dead battery you have to jump the front hood to get it to open. You do that by hooking jumper cables to the fuse box. It's covered in the Manual and easier than one would think.
You can do the same thing with the Porsche battery maintainer that plugs into the cigarette lighter - avoids getting into the fuse box.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:45 AM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My battery was dead this morning after not driving the car for about 40 days. Used the pull out red terminal method to open the hood and charged the battery overnight. Started up the car and had PSM and PASM failure and the sport mode will not activate either. I'll take it for a drive later and see if anything resets. Hope I don't have to make a 3 hour round trip drive to the nearest dealer to have everything reset. Anyone using the more common battery maintainers that are available instead of the Porsche branded ones?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 899 Likes on 502 Posts

what's the deal here - this car can't sustain a dead battery without having a dealer visit to reset the ECU?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sound like your steering angle sensor needs to be calibrated, drive the car aroudn the block in a circle and it should calibrate and youll be good to go
Old 10-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

The PASM cleared itself after driving for several minutes and restarting the car.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
My battery was dead this morning after not driving the car for about 40 days. Used the pull out red terminal method to open the hood and charged the battery overnight. Started up the car and had PSM and PASM failure and the sport mode will not activate either. I'll take it for a drive later and see if anything resets. Hope I don't have to make a 3 hour round trip drive to the nearest dealer to have everything reset. Anyone using the more common battery maintainers that are available instead of the Porsche branded ones?
Why bother with another brand? The OEM maintainer costs about $60 and works very well. Since you don't live near a dealer, call Sunset Porsche in Oregon (not a sponsor).

It is very easy to use and will end your dead battery. I used it frequently on my 993 which sat often.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:59 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
Why bother with another brand? The OEM maintainer costs about $60 and works very well.
Because you're only paying for the name when you buy the Porsche battery maintainer. Porsche doesn't design them nor build them, so why overpay for a simple device like that? It sells for about $70 over here.

Originally Posted by SamG
Anyone using the more common battery maintainers that are available instead of the Porsche branded ones?
I bought a Sears Diehard battery maintainer that sells for $29.99 and that's what I currenly use to keep my battery charged while my car is in storage. It's every bit as good if not better than the Porsche branded charger. It's got the cigarette lighter adapter and three indicator lights to let you know charging status.

It's just a friggin trickle charger, folks. The Sears Diehard name has a solid reputation in battery products. Never knew Porsche to be in the battery business. Ticks me off that Porsche must think that people are stupid and blinded by their name that they are willing to fork over twice what a product is really worth. I wouldn't be surprised if the same OEM that makes them for Sears makes them for Porsche.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Because you're only paying for the name when you buy the Porsche battery maintainer. Porsche doesn't design them nor build them, so why overpay for a simple device like that? It sells for about $70 over here.

I bought a Sears Diehard battery maintainer that sells for $29.99 and that's what I currenly use to keep my battery charged while my car is in storage. It's every bit as good if not better than the Porsche branded charger. It's got the cigarette lighter adapter and three indicator lights to let you know charging status.

It's just a friggin trickle charger, folks. The Sears Diehard name has a solid reputation in battery products. Never knew Porsche to be in the battery business. Ticks me off that Porsche must think that people are stupid and blinded by their name that they are willing to fork over twice what a product is really worth. I wouldn't be surprised if the same OEM that makes them for Sears makes them for Porsche.
Agree - I use a Battery Tender bought at Pep Boys. Hooked up the plug to the terminals and it's easy access to attach the charger.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Started the car yesterday morning after charging it overnight. The PASM failure cleared itself before I could back out the garage and the PSM cleared up after driving out the driveway. What's really funny is when I started the car the night before and got the failures (didn't drive it) the stereo and clock appeared to have lost station memories and time, but after charging overnight everything was back to normal.

I asked about other brands of battery tenders because I have one left over from my motorcycle days and didn't feel like buying a new one if I didn't have to.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:19 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a Battery Tender all of last winter with no problems.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, but I have the PORSCHE of battery maintainers ... you Die Hards can't say that!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 899 Likes on 502 Posts

where is the Sears product made, versus the Porsche product.

If its made in china, its junk - all their electronics are junk.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
vancecarter
4th Gear

walmart sells a "Black & Decker" for under $20, comes with 3 options, cigar lighter adaptor, clips & hardwire to battery, 1 or 2 watt charge and a polarity lite. I have 3 and they work fine

Quick Reply: Reviving the car after a dead battery