Already did a search...997 Cab Top issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 PM
esef
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Already did a search...997 Cab Top issue

Hello everyone,

I've driven the car for less then a week now I have to say it is ADDICTIVE. I just want to hunt down curves wherever I can. I catch myself taking the long way home in search of good roads.

Last night I drove with my top down and left it down all night in the garage. This morning I put the top up before heading to the office when I noticed a loud rattle in the soft top. The best I can tell is some sort of tab that has loosened right where the middle cross frame brace that goes across the top. I checked the felt lining under the other cross frames it the felt feels attached to the bar. On the other hand, where I hear the rattle, the felt seems to be detached and droop away from the bar.

I already searched the board and couldn't find the exact same problem and also checked the TSBs but didn't find anything there either.

I didn't pay attention before this happened but is this "normal" and just one of those things living with a convertible (this is my first soft top). I plan to take it to the dealer but I was wondering if this is something I can fix myself.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by esef; 10-04-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

The only problem I have had is that the plastic cover that hides the central hook mechanism on the soft top came off while I was putting the roof up and hit me on the head!Soon clipped back into place and hasnt been a problem since.Did have a little squeak from the roof but the dealer cured it with some silicone
Old 10-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Jeff911S
Intermediate

Default please tell me your interior color, whas it specially ordered?

??
Old 10-04-2006, 05:30 PM
esef
Instructor

No, it the sand leather
Old 10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
esef
Instructor

OK, took a closer look while I had a few minutes of sunlight left. It looks like there is a U shape plastic "clip" that runs the width of the soft top that is supposed to clip on the the metal bar. That has popped out. Even though I tried to pop it back in it will not stay. Seems not tight enough. One more item to add to the list of problems. Never had so many problems with a brand new car right off the bat...maybe I have been lucky so far. At least all the problems are minor or cosmetic. Hopefully I get to have a Porsche loaner ;-)
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats been a recuring issue on 997s not to bad to ix about 2 hours at the dealer, pull the headliner and resecure the support and adjust the tenion on the headliner
Old 10-04-2006, 10:11 PM
esef
Instructor

Agreed, the enjoyment is worth the small hassles. Thanks all.

Ed
Old 10-11-2006, 04:55 PM
mcurtisal
Track Day

I had this same problem. The first time in, the dealer tried to re-attach the headliner. Second time, they replaced the headliner. Now, 2 weeks later, it came loose again. Called the dealer and they want to replace the headliner. Anybody else have this problem and found a reasonable fix?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I too have the same problem. I have an 06 C2S convertible with 7000 miles and the same thing happend to me. The roof started to make noises and then noticed that something was hanging from beneath the lining. I took it to the dealear and they told me that they have to replace the whole headliner and that they have to order it. I will keep you posted once the delear fix it.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find documentation/Instructions/Illustrations or a DIY on removing the headliner as well as information on cab top hardware for adjustments on a 997.1 C4S?

During my ownership history, I've brought it in twice to hve rattles/squeaks resolved and after a year the noises return. So would like to know how to resolve myself.

Quick Reply: Already did a search...997 Cab Top issue