Sponsored by:

Multifunction steering wheel in 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Multifunction steering wheel in 997.2

Why is it not an option for manual tranny? Suncoast only offers with paddle-shifters.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Multifunction Switch Control Kit - Manual Transmission

Originally Posted by murox
Why is it not an option for manual tranny? Suncoast only offers with paddle-shifters.
I was wondering the same, then saw this item:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...newproductpage

Let me know if you buy/install -- esp. if you install it on your own...

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
murox
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spectro28
I was wondering the same, then saw this item:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...newproductpage

Let me know if you buy/install -- esp. if you install it on your own...

Cheers,
Marc

Cool, thanks for the link! I definitely won't be installing it myself. I'd likely deploy the airbag and knock myself out.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Too bad its only for the 2010+ cars. 2009 you are still SOL
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murox
Cool, thanks for the link! I definitely won't be installing it myself. I'd likely deploy the airbag and knock myself out.
LOL. Ok, then, let me know how you like it and how many hours of labor the dealer charged to install - I really miss this from my BMW (find myself going to adjust the volume a LOT).

I did read another post that suggests you can keep the airbag from going off by dIsconnecting the battery...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM
murox
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spectro28
LOL. Ok, then, let me know how you like it and how many hours of labor the dealer charged to install - I really miss this from my BMW (find myself going to adjust the volume a LOT).

I did read another post that suggests you can keep the airbag from going off by dIsconnecting the battery...

Will do. I'll probably order it after Christmas.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Too bad its only for the 2010+ cars. 2009 you are still SOL
Manual transmission cars still used the old 997.1 steering wheels in 2009; multi-function was only available with the triangular airbag, not the 'sport' steering wheel with round airbag.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

won't this do it for 2009 manuals?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//2010MSW.html
Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RH512
won't this do it for 2009 manuals?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//2010MSW.html
Yup.... well almost. I think for the 2009's you would have to add some module and a slip ring related part (there was a thread somewhere on that).

So for $2000 in parts, you can install the new style wheel. I'd also want the heated wheel option... which is my primary motivation for an upgrade. So it will likely end up at $2500 in parts (plus fact that I purchased the XPA Sports wheel that will be a takeoff.. not sure how much if any I can recover of that cost.

Labor extra.

I really do like my older style thicker (XPA?) sports wheel - the plastic bit of the spoke doesn't penetrate the wheel circle on these. A cosmetic thing, but one near to my heart.

I need to go to the dealer and feel these wheels to see how the thickness compares to my XPA Sports wheel.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2010 C2S coupe with PDK. I just spoke with my local P-Dealer service department about installation of the PDK Multifunction Switch Control Kit, as found on Suncoast. I asked him if all 2010 C2Ss with PDK would have the necessary electrical connections in the steering column in order for this MF switch control kit to be functional and he stated that it was entirely possible that my 2010 C2S may NOT have this necessary connector, in which case they would have removed the steering wheel (not necessary according to Suncoast), and the airbag only to find out that the necessary connector is not present. Question: can anyone state categorically that the 2010 C2S with PDK (coupe) will indeed always have the necessary connector for the MF switch control kit to operate properly. And, secondly, does the steering have to be removed in order to install this MF switch control kit?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:43 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Balloonmeister
I have a 2010 C2S coupe with PDK. I just spoke with my local P-Dealer service department about installation of the PDK Multifunction Switch Control Kit, as found on Suncoast. I asked him if all 2010 C2Ss with PDK would have the necessary electrical connections in the steering column in order for this MF switch control kit to be functional and he stated that it was entirely possible that my 2010 C2S may NOT have this necessary connector, in which case they would have removed the steering wheel (not necessary according to Suncoast), and the airbag only to find out that the necessary connector is not present. Question: can anyone state categorically that the 2010 C2S with PDK (coupe) will indeed always have the necessary connector for the MF switch control kit to operate properly. And, secondly, does the steering have to be removed in order to install this MF switch control kit?
My dealer put one on my '09 PDK car - actually the entire wheel as the kit didn't exist back then. I mentioned to them reading about needing some additional bits and they said they'd never heard of that. And nothing else was needed. Can't imagine that a '10 would be less simple. That and Suncoast seems really good about figuring out the solutions they offer, before they offer them.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this install myself last fall. I bought the MF faceplate from Suncoast when it was only $199 and now the price sure have jumped significantly. It took me about 1.5 hour to install. The toughest part was to gently remove the old faceplate without scratching the leather. You must disconnect the battery before doing anything to avoid a concussion from the airbag. There was an instruction on www.6speedonline.com but I don't have the link. After you swap the faceplate you still have to bring the car to the dealer for them activate the MF function. My dealer charge me 1 hour of labor for that. If you rarely tinker with your car then this is not a DIY project for you.

John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 11-11-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I did this install myself this spring. I bought the MF faceplate from Suncoast when it was only $199 and now the price sure have jumped significantly. It took me about 1 hour to install. The toughest part was to gently remove the old faceplate without scratching the leather. You must disconnect the battery before doing anything to avoid a concussion from the airbag. There was an instruction on www.6speedonline.com but I don't have the link. After you swap the faceplate you still have to bring the car to the dealer for them activate the MF function. My dealer charge me 1 hour of labor for that. If you rarely tinker with your car then this is not a DIY project for you.

John
Thanx, John. From your post I conclude the following:
1) The proper connections were inside of your steering wheel assy to connect the MF connector to
2) You did not have to remove your steering wheel to install the MF face plate
Are these correct?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

1) All connectors are under the airbag; only 3 plugs and ground connector. 2 for airbag and other for the PDK paddle and MF function.
2) No need to remove the steering wheel. Just double tape the leather and plastic to avoid cuts and dents.

Here is the link http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...997-2-a-4.html
John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 11-11-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Here are couple photos of the original face plate. The blue, yellow and ground is for the airbag and the large orange connector is for the PDK paddle and MF function.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Multifunction steering wheel in 997.2