Sponsored by:

Wheel enhancement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:49 PM
golfman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel enhancement

I am thinking of having the wheels on my 06c2s chromed by wheel enhancement. Has anyone dealt with them ? Do they do a good job on the chroming?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by golfman
I am thinking of having the wheels on my 06c2s chromed by wheel enhancement. Has anyone dealt with them ? Do they do a good job on the chroming?
You can't beat their service -great guys. No chrome please!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I have bought wheels from them for my 996 and no issues, delivered as promised. Chrome, well I can't comment on that but if you like it then who cares what others think.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:51 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
I have bought wheels from them for my 996 and no issues, delivered as promised. Chrome, well I can't comment on that but if you like it then who cares what others think.
I care what others think. They think you should not put chrome wheels on a Porsche
Old 09-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I know that but in CA they put chrome wheels on everything!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The guys at Wheel Enhancement are great. I have purchased a few sets of wheels from them with no problems.

However, I agree with the other posters....think twice about the chrome wheels.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:28 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Maybe the engineers in the group can chime in here, but I recall a discussion a few years ago on the 928 Board regarding chrome finishing wheels resulting in a reduction in structural integrity. What you may really want is polished wheels, as this will not compromise the wheels themselves, especially if you ever want to track the car.

Jerry
Old 09-24-2006, 12:21 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Do anything, but for gosh sakes, don't chrome it, please.

Save that for the Harley...
Old 09-24-2006, 01:47 AM
golfman
Instructor

Maybe I am mistaken but I am talking about a polished wheel. I would call it chrome maybe I am wrong. I have chrome or polished wheels on my h2 hummer and my corvette. They look very sharp IMHO. I see lots of the aftermarket wheels that look the same way. Are they not chrome ? Is there another term to use here ? So am I to understand you guys are saying leave the wheels alone as stock or are you guys says dont use those wheels buy aftermarket polsihed wheels.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:39 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 458 Posts

I think they are saying don't go with the chrome. But it really is your choice. But think twice if you're going to sell or trade the car as you definately will at some point. It will probably lower your value at some point however.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you have your wheels polised to a high shine they are going to be a lot of work to maintain. If you have them chromed there is little daily maintenance to keep them up. However, when you chrome a set of wheels you are clearly looking for just the image thing, because they add additional weight to the car,--and in the unsprung weight area, you will actually impact performance, negatively.

Personally I think the chrome look takes a beautiful car and declasses it considerably. (Would you chrome the wheels on a Bentley Continental GT?) But that is the rage in the LA area,--everything is chrome. It's fine for a Hummer or a Corvette, but not really for a Porsche.

But understand, this is merely one man's opinion.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm in the "no chrome" camp as far as Porsches are concerned. Have seen pics of chromed wheels on a 911 and didn't like the look. Wheels painted to match the car color can provide a nice enhancement. But IMO don't take a finely engineered and very stylish car and put chrome wheels on it. If it were me (and it's not) I'd consider enhancing the "look" (and possibly the performance) with front or rear aero options instead.

Just my $0.02, for what it's worth.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 AM
pgwilliams
Intermediate

I purchased a set of Fikse FM 10s from them. They know everything about offset and what wheels and tires work with the many different Porsche models and the customers preferred driving style. They went out of their way to get me my wheels in time for a track event. I highly recommend them.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:15 AM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Polishing is a better option than chroming. Chrome finishes cannot be repaired after road damage and are susceptible to corrosion from deicing salts.

I am of the opinion that polished wheels, either satin or high polish, are very attractive. Chrome is too flashy.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Maybe I am mistaken but I am talking about a polished wheel. I would call it chrome maybe I am wrong. I have chrome or polished wheels on my h2 hummer and my corvette. They look very sharp IMHO. I see lots of the aftermarket wheels that look the same way. Are they not chrome ? Is there another term to use here ? So am I to understand you guys are saying leave the wheels alone as stock or are you guys says dont use those wheels buy aftermarket polsihed wheels.
Go to www.wheelenhancement.com and you can see lots of pictures of chrome wheels.

Quick Reply: Wheel enhancement