Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel enhancement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I had the wheels on my first Porsche chromed. My 86 Carerra back when I was in college. I still regret the decision. I have to agree with the above, chrome and Porsches just don't mix.

As for wheel enhancement, I have dealt with them before and they are a first class operation, they will shoot you straight. Lots of options, check out the website. My opinion is the Champion's are one of the best looking wheels you can put on a Porsche they have many different styles.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:02 PM
golfman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a picture of the wheels that would be installed on my 06 c2s.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...131&alt=chrome
http://www.wheelenhancement.com/getp...ght%20Blue.jpg
What is the difference between this wheel or an aftermarket polished wheel?

Last edited by golfman; 09-24-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN
I recall a discussion a few years ago on the 928 Board regarding chrome finishing wheels resulting in a reduction in structural integrity.
Here's the TSB from the mid-nineties but whether it applies to the newer 996 wheels I don't know. In the parts catalog I don't see a chrome finish offered just polished so possibly?

Porsche Aluminum Road Wheels

Model Group

All 4

Part Identifier Number

4410 9011
ATTENTION: Service Manager/Service Technician

This bulletin supersedes Technical Bulletin Group 4, Number 8705, Book D, page 163.

Models Affected: All

General Information: Porsche does not approve of chrome plating Porsche aluminum road wheels.

Corrosion tests by PAG on chrome plated aluminum wheels have shown heavy pitting, especially with winter use.

The high difference in potential between the base metal of the wheel and the plating material (chrome, nickel) may cause pitting and could reduce wheel strength.

Polishing road wheels is an acceptable alternative. When polished, the wheel's protective coating is removed. To avoid corrosion and discoloration, wheel maintenance will need to be increased.

Warranty Information: Corrosion and/or discoloration due to a lack of maintenance are not a warranty matter.

Important Note: Please make a copy of this bulletin and give to your dealership's Sales Manager and General Manager.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by golfman
Here is a picture of the wheels that would be installed on my 06 c2s.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...131&alt=chrome
http://www.wheelenhancement.com/getp...ght%20Blue.jpg
What is the difference between this wheel or an aftermarket polished wheel?
The wheel you picture is chrome...+ it's an 18 inch wheel - is that what you want? Polished wheels don't have the chrome plating, they are just highly polished metal.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:16 PM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The wheel you picture is chrome...+ it's an 18 inch wheel - is that what you want? Polished wheels don't have the chrome plating, they are just highly polished metal.
The 06 c2s i bought had 18 inch wheels on it from the dealer. They changed off the 19 inch wheels before I bought it and gave me a two thousand dollar credit for taking the 18's. Which was fine with me better ride on the 18 anyway. I am just used to the chrome look I guess. Polsihed look is nice to but I am not going to change new wheels and tires out for an aftermarket wheel at this point. Wheel enhancement will send me new wheels in chrome for $850.00 and then I send them mine.

I guess I just don't see why a lot of people feel the stock wheel looks better. I think it makes the car look entry level. if anyone has looked at the link I posted earlier my car is midnight blue like the pic but it isn't a cab. I think that car looks nice with those wheels.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

As Eric Burden and the Animals once sang:

"It's my life and I'll do want I want..."

If you want chrome, then chrome it is. Make it happen.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by golfman
The 06 c2s i bought had 18 inch wheels on it from the dealer. They changed off the 19 inch wheels before I bought it and gave me a two thousand dollar credit for taking the 18's. Which was fine with me better ride on the 18 anyway. I am just used to the chrome look I guess. Polsihed look is nice to but I am not going to change new wheels and tires out for an aftermarket wheel at this point. Wheel enhancement will send me new wheels in chrome for $850.00 and then I send them mine.

I guess I just don't see why a lot of people feel the stock wheel looks better. I think it makes the car look entry level. if anyone has looked at the link I posted earlier my car is midnight blue like the pic but it isn't a cab. I think that car looks nice with those wheels.
I agree with Mastiff dog - do what you want. I seriously doubt this will be the last mod you do so if you don't like the look you can change again.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's true, you see chrome rims on everything here in California!

Even on Bentley and RR!!!!

Wouldn't do chrome myself, but my buddy had his turbo twists done at W E, and they did a great job.

They actually gave him a replacement set of already chromed rims, so he could drive away same day, and his wheels then went to be refinished for someone else to buy.

Chris.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:40 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Back to your question, I have been doing business with Wheel Enhancement for at least a dozen years, in person. These are knowledgeable, straight shooters you can trust, and I highly recommend them.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

OT

Anyone know of a good place to get it powder coated black? Or any ideas on how much that would run me?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A caution on powder coating as well. They are subjected to heat to bake on that finish. It will impact negatively the structual strength of the wheel.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

I'm dealing with Dave at Wheel Enhancement now, regarding a set of winter wheels and tires. Fast response, polite and they seem to be very competent technically. They run monthly full-color ads in Excellence mag, so they must be doing something right. Prices seem to be competitive, too.

Just MHO,

-don
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wheel Enhancement is the best.

Best of Luck, whatever you choose.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

I swapped my wife's 987S Carrera S wheels for the Carrera Sport wheels at Wheel Enhancement today!
Very nice people. Fast, efficient, no surprises. Wish everyone did business this way.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Dane k.
Instructor

They just did my Carrera Classic wheels in black,on my 06 2S.Very nice folks.What ever you decide to do about wheels,you should be very happy with them. Dane

Quick Reply: Wheel enhancement