Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the board - have 997 turbo on order, re-thinking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 AM
quiet911
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the board - have 997 turbo on order, re-thinking.

hi guys/gals. i currently own a 03 seal grey metallic C4S, and have a slate grey 997 turbo on order for delivery in late October. i LOVE my C4S. Recently drove a 997 C4S, and was blown away by it. i'm unable to test drive a turbo - and now i'm thinking about getting out of my deposit for the turbo and getting an 07 C4S (maybe with x51, maybe not). also, my soon to-be-wife is not terribly stoked on the cost of the turbo. not that this is altering my decision

just curious what people would do in my position... thanks and cheers.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well personally, I am a fan of non-turbo engines and hence I never considered a 997TT. Having driven a couple, including one lap on the Ring, it is a very fast car. Took me 3 minutes to get use to the AWD because it's that good. Still I would not trade my X51 997 C2S. I don't track at all in the US and the extra 130+ hp doesn't do me any good in the mountain roads. And I'm no fan of AWD. My buddy loves his turbo cos he can keep up with WRXs and lancers and knowing he has 480hp to call on.
The X51 997 isn't that much cheaper, maybe 15-20% less. And while the S cars are not mindblowingly powerful, they are hardly anemic in HP. So the real question for you is, is 140hp worth $30k to you?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Just traded my C4S for a TT.

I had put a supercharger on my C4S to make it faster, and it was very fast. But still not a TT in many ways.

PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

As much as I like the TT, and based purely on aesthetics I far prefer the clean look of the C4S. It's just a nice package. The turbo's intakes and spoiler are just not for me. I do however know that just plain old design issues may not be what one may want to base their decision on but for me it is an issue. Then there is also the issue with turbo lag etc that put me off a bit. Until there is a DSG and a less lag turbo the TT is not for me. Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:33 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Wait for your turbo. If you like the C4S you will absolutely love the turbo.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Man if she is the "soon to be wife", and she is already trying to make your decisions for you on how much of your money you spend on your car imagine what happens when you do tie the knot. Take the turbo and when she wants you to sell it tell her hell no ;-). Seriously best wishes on your pending numptuals.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Wait. It will be worth it, believe me.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Man if she is the "soon to be wife", and she is already trying to make your decisions for you on how much of your money you spend on your car imagine what happens when you do tie the knot. Take the turbo and when she wants you to sell it tell her hell no ;-). Seriously best wishes on your pending numptuals.

That's pretty funny. I had a similar experience as a young man (Now that I am old).

I made the dreaded mistake of purchasing a sailboat without consulting the fiance. I lived in a harbour in Southern California and my back yard walked down to my dock on the main channel.

Well, did I catch a ration for that move. Seemed like the boat I purchased with my money was too expensive for her taste, especially since what I had was now hers?? ALthough I had been doing just fine with my finances up to that point in my life, it seems I didn't really understand my finances like I thought!

A week later I told her to keep the ring. Then I got in my sailboat and went for a little jaunt to Catalina.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Wait. It will be worth it, believe me.

Every time I see your car... my impression about the TT is swayed somewhat. It is beautiful!

Well I will keep an open mind. Bring on the DSG box and Porsche may get some more of my money.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

If your penchant for normal aspiration trumps the thump of the Turbo, then would suggest rather than allow Porsche options to expand a 997C4S, simply step up to the 997GT3....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
If your penchant for normal aspiration trumps the thump of the Turbo, then would suggest rather than allow Porsche options to expand a 997C4S, simply step up to the 997GT3....
Best advice yet.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:13 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I am not a fan of AWD in sports cars, but since you seem to like it, the turbo might be a good choice for you.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Personally, I find the 997tt to be overkill. Many of today's turbo buyers simply want to have what they perceive as the 'ultimate Porsche.' This is a sign that Porsche marketing has really gotten to them. Who could possibly use 480 PS in the USA? I drove an older turbo many years ago and it was fine at the time with the power production it obtained. Today's normally aspirated 911s are incredibly well engineered and over 80% of the 997 drivers of today can't possibly wring out of them most of their potential,--and certainly not on public roadways. The 911 in general is a strange beast. To Europeans it's a quick way to get to far off business meetings and to shorten the time to your vacation villa (much like we in the states would use a small private plane) but within the USA you will find that the straight 997 or 997S has more than ample power to get you up to 65 or 75 with ease and around slow left-lane hogs.

I took my neighbor out for a quick 30 minute ride in the car. He's a German emigrant now retired who worked as an auto mechanic for many years, mostly on VWs and Porsches. He knows how the early 911s drove, like I do, and we both have a considerable respect for the incredible handling and performance of the 997 autos. We took some of the Road and Track test routes north of LA in Santa Barbara to include San Marcos Pass (Route 154) and better yet, the OLD San Marcos Pass road and put the car through a complete shakedown. He had a tremendous respect for that car both before we left on this little 30 minute excursion and later, he was quite overwhelmed at the performance of the car. So someone who has several hundreds of thousands of miles beneath his belt in 911s, this latest 911 is head and shoulders above anything Porsche could cook up in the past. But you can't take every road like it's a test track, having over 100 more HP would be simply overkill. If you can drive a 911 close to its limit (not yours) and feel secure doing so then perhaps a turbo is for you, but there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough. I would think your money would be best spent learning to drive a 997S closer to its limits than to get into something that only a handful of people on this earth can drive at its limits. The limit will always be you, and not the car.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

It's your money, get what you want. There are plenty of girls out there who would love that thier husband drives a Porsche. My fiance doesn't like Porsches. He's more of an classic muscle car guy but he appreciates my interests. He knows I'll be getting a Porsche and is fully supportive of that goal.

Last edited by Sunshine; 09-19-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:20 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Best advice yet.
looks like he wants awd since both cars he is considering are awd.
doesnt state anything about a preference for natural aspiration.
you bought a turbo.
i don't get why that would be the best advice?
even though it's what i have coming.
jeff

Quick Reply: new to the board - have 997 turbo on order, re-thinking.