Sponsored by:

Update: Phone Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:36 AM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Phone Module

I realize this has been written about in serveral posts, but there doesn't seem to be consensus about what works and what doesn't work. Here's my experience:

1. 64k Cingular sim card would not work. Just got a message saying "Searching Net" (presumably searching for network).

2. Other posts seemed to indicate that a 32k Cingular card would work. I checked several Cingular stores, but none had any 32k cards left, so I wasn't able to verify if this would have worked. (I wanted to use Cingular since my wife and son are already on that network, and I could have been added to their account less expensively than setting up a new account).

3. Went to T-Mobile store. The salesman knew all about the issue, and said that several Porsche owners had purchased sim cards for their phone modules. (since it wasn't much extra, I also got an inexpensive phone, although it of course won't work unless I take the sim card from the car). As others have indicated, if this isn't your primary account, you can merely forward your primary phone to the phone number on the sim card.

4. T-Mobile card works great.

5. The phone module works well, imports phone book, mutes upon incoming and outgoing calls, receives text messages, etc.

Although technology can be cool, things aren't quite perfect yet. Just spent the last hour figuring out how to convert purchased WMA music to mp3 for use in the CD player (but that's another story).

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:44 AM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you get the time , I would be interested in your method of converting purchased music to MP3...Thanks..GR
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 AM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GR997S
If you get the time , I would be interested in your method of converting purchased music to MP3...Thanks..GR
Will do. I think I'll just do another post in a moment.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 AM
DJB
Instructor

Im from Aus, so excuse me if I am wrong. Cingular doesnt work beacuse its a CDMA based Network and T_mobile is GSM which is what is compatible with the PORSCHE.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:44 AM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DJB
Im from Aus, so excuse me if I am wrong. Cingular doesnt work beacuse its a CDMA based Network and T_mobile is GSM which is what is compatible with the PORSCHE.
In the U.S. Cingular is GSM, as is T-Mobile. Not sure why it wouldn't work.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
gmaier
Intermediate

Try a new Cingular "3G" SIM card. My older 64k card didn't work, either; I got a newer "3G" card, and all was well. You can get a replacement SIM at any Cingular company store or reseller. They're about $25, unless you can convince someone to give you one for free (more likely to happen at a Cingular store than at a third-party reseller).
Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

How about this - T-Mobile is a German company and Cingular is not, hmmm. maybe we have a conspiracy.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:52 AM
MHK
Instructor

I use T-Mobile and it works fine. What I am most amazed at is the ability to talk on Speaker phone, with the windows up, but the Cab top down, and the caller on the other end can hear me fine. I wish other Mfg can make there systems work as well.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I signed the contract with Cingular I made the salesman put the his SIM card in his phone in my car. His worked fine and now mine does too.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:00 PM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gmaier
Try a new Cingular "3G" SIM card. My older 64k card didn't work, either; I got a newer "3G" card, and all was well. You can get a replacement SIM at any Cingular company store or reseller. They're about $25, unless you can convince someone to give you one for free (more likely to happen at a Cingular store than at a third-party reseller).
Thanks. I'll look into that. Are these phone specific or will they work in most phones (e.g. a RAZR)?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I had a long discussion with a manager at Cingular earlier this year about getting a 32k card, but they had none, so I did the next best thing, I bought one from e-bay. There was a seller that had a stockpile of 32k cards for 50 cents (plus $5 for shipping). Cingular said that they would not guareentee that the card would work, as there were regional codes on some of the 32k cards (ie west coast/east coast) but the seller stated that the cards were national. I wonder if Cingular has some regional differences (or if your phone module may be different?) as many of us have Cingular and 64K cards and it works fine.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rfdjr58
Thanks. I'll look into that. Are these phone specific or will they work in most phones (e.g. a RAZR)?
They should work on most GSM phones, if not all.

Quick Reply: Update: Phone Module