Sponsored by:

Slow coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 AM
avdiscolo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow coolant leak

Took my '06 911 C2S into the dealer on 8/16 because the coolant level was at the top of the letters on the reservoir below the min mark (maybe 0.5"). The dealer did a pressure test and found no leaks. This morning I checked the coolant level and it was below the bottom of the letters on the reservoir (maybe 1" below the min mark). I'll be taking it in again, of course.

Anyone else had this problem?

Everything else on this car is so perfect.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:16 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Are you checking it at the same temperature each time? Have you noticed any drips or other signs of a leak?

Andreas
Old 09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
avdiscolo
Advanced

Yes, I check it in the morning parked in the same place everytime. I have not noticed any drips on the garage floor. No obvious signs of a leak inside the engine compartment.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check the front for signs of leaks , when the cars hot pay attention for smells, they are best indication of coolant leaks you cant see. Look for a sweet stink if you dont know what antifrezze smells like
Old 09-11-2006, 12:31 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a slightly similar problem....coolant level droping.
Turned out to be the Cap that would not hold pressure and would bleed down.

New cap - problem solved.

Apparently leaky cap is not an un-common problem
Old 09-11-2006, 05:00 PM
rmira
Instructor

I had a coolant leak, the dealer said the hose attached to the waterpump had a cut in it. It may not be your problem, because you said no drips on the garage floor - I had some.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:58 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I had a slow, 'no-sign-of-leakage-on-floor' coolant leak not too long ago.
Then it decided to go bigtime one fine day. Had to tow the car,
and it turned out to be a bad coolant hose under the car.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:06 PM
avdiscolo
Advanced

I talked to the dealer service technician this morning, and he said that you should check the coolant level while the engine is warm after depressurizing the system (opening the cap or opening the pressure release valve). When he depressurized the system, the fluid level rose significantly above the min line, maybe even to the max line.

This contradicts what the manual says: "When the engine is cold and the car is level, the fluid level must lie between the "MIN" and "MAX" markings."

I've been checking my coolant level as per the manual, and I'm assuming the manual is right. Why the technician would say this?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 AM
avdiscolo
Advanced

After the third time taking my car back to the dealer, they finally decided that the missing coolant had to be going somewhere, and started investigating the motor. They drained the oil and pressurized the coolant system again, but did not find any noticiable leak. They said that one of the spark plugs did not look quite right. After more investigation, they are replacing the head gasket. I just got voicemail from them yesterday, and have not talked with the service advisor about what they found to cause this repair.

The dealer has a very good reputation, but I am still very disappointed with the outcome. The car only has 6800 miles on it.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As posted a few months ago, I had a very small coolant loss with no noticable leak. would fill it above minimum, and it would dop below after a drive. Always checked cold. Finally after about a month, a small leak from front radiator right side on garage floor. Two hoses were replaced, not related to the extra center radiator on my X51
Old 01-16-2007, 10:59 AM
avdiscolo
Advanced

I have never seen or smelled coolant. The coolant loss, while relatively small, has been occurring from day 1.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by avdiscolo
I have never seen or smelled coolant. The coolant loss, while relatively small, has been occurring from day 1.
I was also told that some of the lines that run from front to back are covered by the "fairing" on the underside and if there were a small leak you wouldn't necessarily see any indication on the garage floor. The fluid would be caught on the fairing and eventually evaporate.

Quick Reply: Slow coolant leak