Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
I tell you what:
Lets put two engines on a test stand.
Run one at a constant.....say ~ 4000 RPM
Cycle the other continuously from 2000 to 7500 RPM

Which one do you think will last longer ?
Point taken Rolf but during breakin I would have thought the idea is to put gentle wear on all the gears and their relevant components... hence the cycle approach. But... I'm no expert nor mechanic.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
I broke in my '05 C2S by the book. Strictly followed the RPM limit. And she had an RMS replaced (easy, painless) after dipping oil basically from day one.

While waiting for my C4S to come in I read in AutoWeek that the Porsche break in period is a "CYA" policy by the manufacturer after years of data showed a very high incidence of new 911 driver error under 2000 miles. It is a very precise car. It does exactly what you tell it... and garbage in, garbage out after all.

So, after 16000 + miles in the C2S and a successful PDE master's class, as well as some careful thought about the matter, with the C4S I have driven her like I stole her. She likes it. I like it. Beautiful music.

Personally, I believe that far, far worse than exceeding the RPM limit under 2K miles is "lugging" these flat sixes at low RPM in too high a gear. Do not "lug" the motor... live happy.

Johnny I don't remember seeing that girl in your avatar in the Tequipment catalog!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:48 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed the Break-in recommendations. The car used about 1/4q of oil during the 2k miles. Since then, very little oil usage with 11k on the speedo. However, according to a good senior Porsche Tech, Porsche test their brand new engines to redline before they're mounted. Sounds like all engines have already touched that redline before the car is delivered.....
just my 02....
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Johnny I don't remember seeing that girl in your avatar in the Tequipment catalog!
Me neither... I'd have ordered 5 of them.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
Not to sound contradictory, but I am of the belief that if you are to go 'by the book' then why not follow all the suggestions including the recommened oil change frequency which would take you up to 20 000 miles (depending on driving conditions) before change .

As a side note, as somewhat of a science major, we have been taught to never believe what we read without evidence to back up a statement. I have yet to read a scientific explaination as to why the 4200 RPM and 2000 miles were picked as breakin numbers (especially since in 1998, the milage amount was 1000 miles for a similar (but smaller) boxer engine). On the other hand the other camp of 'drive it like you stole it' (provided appropriate warm up) has tried to show engines/pistons/seals/rings broken in this manner to be better than limiting the RPMs during the breakin period. Their evidence seems scientific, and though not double blinded, does make sense (especially the point of the 1st 50-200 miles being the most important/critical period of break-in). That being said, I think that if the engine is appropriately warmed up, taking the car to 5000, 6000 RPM will do no damage (I mean really, what scientific basis is there in limiting RPM's when the engine is warm? Similarly doesn't Porsche red line the engine during the engine oil bath during the factory build?) The best suggestion is to do what you feel most comfortable with. If the aggressive breakin is what you want to do, just follow the suggestions that were in the previos threads.
I've built and broken-in quite a few engines. They run tight and hot at first. Porsche's 4200 RPM and 2,000 miles is arbitrary, but it's probably well beyond the break-in point. They have to draw a line somewhere. Increased revs puts more stress on the engine. Metal bends and stretches and gets weaker as time passes, along with hot/cold cycles. During break-in, you want the metal to fatigue and bend and stretch to a small degree. This produces "give" in the engine. Something's gotta give or else it will break. This is partially the reason for break-in. You'd rather have the rods stretch than break.

"Drive it like you stole it" works, but if you do that at 0 miles, you'll wear the engine prematurely, I don't care if the engine is warmed up.

The reason why Porsche may redline their engines before completion is not for the good of the engine. They are trying to immediately identify a problem so as not to put a bad engine out there that will cost them more in the long run. It's a necessary evil. Since their engines run 200,000, 300,000 or more miles, they know they can accept this wear to save money in the long-run. If Porsche had lifetime warranties on their engines, they would not do this.

Five hundred miles used to be the properly break-in time, but with today's synthetics, we need more. I'd vary the engine revs from 1500-4200 during the first 1000 miles, using no more than 50% of the engine power at any given RPM. Change the oil and then start running the engine pretty good after that (80% for 500 miles). The remaining 500 miles and 100% can and should be used to run the engine "like you stole it." At this point, you'll be stressing the remaining components of the car, such as bushings, body panels, seats, etc.

I should also mention that a 3,000 mile trip is only good if you make sure you cold/hot cycle the car enough times to complete the break-in process. Running the car non-stop does not give the car a change to expand/contract for break-in.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The reason why Porsche may redline their engines before completion is not for the good of the engine. They are trying to immediately identify a problem so as not to put a bad engine out there that will cost them more in the long run. It's a necessary evil. Since their engines run 200,000, 300,000 or more miles, they know they can accept this wear to save money in the long-run. If Porsche had lifetime warranties on their engines, they would not do this.

Five hundred miles used to be the properly break-in time, but with today's synthetics, we need more. I'd vary the engine revs from 1500-4200 during the first 1000 miles, using no more than 50% of the engine power at any given RPM. Change the oil and then start running the engine pretty good after that (80% for 500 miles). The remaining 500 miles and 100% can and should be used to run the engine "like you stole it." At this point, you'll be stressing the remaining components of the car, such as bushings, body panels, seats, etc.

I should also mention that a 3,000 mile trip is only good if you make sure you cold/hot cycle the car enough times to complete the break-in process. Running the car non-stop does not give the car a change to expand/contract for break-in.
Thanks for a sensible bit of information which for me will be the way to go.

Are you saying that you would reccommend changing the oil at the 1000 mile mark?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I told my dealer that I wanted to change my oil now that I've got almost 2000 miles on my 997S and they told me I would be wasting my money but they will change the oil and gladly take my money.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I've built and broken-in quite a few engines. They run tight and hot at first. Porsche's 4200 RPM and 2,000 miles is arbitrary, but it's probably well beyond the break-in point. They have to draw a line somewhere. Increased revs puts more stress on the engine. Metal bends and stretches and gets weaker as time passes, along with hot/cold cycles. During break-in, you want the metal to fatigue and bend and stretch to a small degree. This produces "give" in the engine. Something's gotta give or else it will break. This is partially the reason for break-in. You'd rather have the rods stretch than break.

"Drive it like you stole it" works, but if you do that at 0 miles, you'll wear the engine prematurely, I don't care if the engine is warmed up.

This really makes the most sense. I never considered the hot and cold cycle. I think it is also important not just start the car and drive it around the block. Get it hot and get the oil temp up to normal. Especially if the air temp is cold. I'm really picky about that with any engine.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
I told my dealer that I wanted to change my oil now that I've got almost 2000 miles on my 997S and they told me I would be wasting my money but they will change the oil and gladly take my money.
I know the dealer will tell me the same thing. Maybe OT here but what about this 20,000 miles in between changes? That's a long time. Is synthetic oil that good?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:02 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Me neither... I'd have ordered 5 of them.
Hey Johnny, will you PM me the rear view of your avatar, please? <g>

DAAAAAMMMMMMMMN! She is spectacular!

-don
Old 09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
I know the dealer will tell me the same thing. Maybe OT here but what about this 20,000 miles in between changes? That's a long time. Is synthetic oil that good?
No way, synthetic oil is not that good. Most people recommend 7,500 miles for synthetic. There is a whole other topic regarding oil change intervals, but for this purpose, I'm only talking about break-in.

There is one major problem associated with keeping break-in oil in the engine for too long:

Engines are assembled with lots of different grease and oil compounds. For example, there is usually special camshaft lube that is not like motor oil and is required for break-in of the camshaft lobes. There is usually heavy grease applied to some needle bearings, during assembly. I've seen valve springs coated with a sticky oil substance that is clearly not engine oil. And then you have some parts that are actually painted or have some paint overspray due to manufacturing. Also keep in mind that many of these parts are exposed to airborne particles during assembly, such as dust. Some of these parts simply have a very thin layer of soap residue leftover from cleaning. So all these components are going to mix together when the engine breaks in.

How do you get all this stuff out of the engine? Changing the oil is the only way. Yes, synthetic is almost that good, but it is not good enough to actually clean the oil and remove dirt.

The other problem is rare, but I have seen it, and it has to do with the oil filter. When an engine breaks-in, you get a lot of metal shavings and metal debris that comes off into the oil. The oil filter catches most of the bigger pieces, while the drain plug magnets catches the rest. Some stays in the oil in liquid form and bypasses the filter, causing no real damage. A problem can occur, however, wherein the large pieces of sharp metal, under pressure from the pump, can puncture a hold in the filter and let some of the pieces out into the oil system. This can lead to a reduced lifespan or possibly serious engine damage for obvious reasons. A good filter, like the ones on a P-car, should not have this problem, but it can happen. I would change the filter after break-in for this purpose, along with the oil of course.

So, if you don’t want to change the oil at 1,000 miles, I would for sure change the oil and filter at 2,000 miles. After that, 7,500 miles seems to be an accepted oil change interval for most engines running synthetic.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Thanks, that answers my question. I just don't understand why Porsche does not recommend the obvious.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:17 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

The break in is not for the motor, its for the "mating" of all the different moving components of the car.

Cars these days are built in pods in different parts of the factory or maybe even at a sub-contractors. Transmissions in one pod. Engine in another. Suspension in another, etc etc etc.

When moving parts that are manufactured away from each other are finally assembled together , it is important that they mate up properly and this is primarily why all manufacturers stress a break in period.

Your doing more damage to a motor lugging at 2-3000rpm. You have to run it throughout its entire rpm range, once it is fully warmed up.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:52 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

murphyslaw1978 - I'm curious, would you mind sharing your professional background/source of knowledge? No offense meant.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
murphyslaw1978 - I'm curious, would you mind sharing your professional background/source of knowledge? No offense meant.
Most is based on experience, non-professionally. My father ownes a engineering shop and I worked there for many years in high school and college. My college major was mechanical engineering, before I changed it to electrical engineering, and at that time, I was rebuilding engines and working on cars, trucks, tractors, etc. for fun. Two favorite classes were "strength of materials" and "fluid dynamics."

Quick Reply: Break in period