Sponsored by:

Porsche PDE cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:11 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche PDE cars

While looking for some slightly used 2005 Carrera, I came across a "Porsche corporate" car. On further inquiry, I was told that this car had been used on the PDE. Also, since this car has never been titled, It will come with 4 Yrs 50,000 mile warranty.
Question to the fellow members, Should I be concerned about buying the PDE car. Any guidance on what kind of discount (from MRSP) should I be negotiating. Is 25-30% off the base.
lastly, if dealer & I agree on price, what other things I should be asking for or looking for e.g.New tires, break pads etc.Any thing to check on engine / transmission etc.
Thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 06:26 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

There was an extensive thread on this topic in the last 3 or 4 months..Don't think there was a concensus on whether it was a good idea, and I dont think that kind of discount was offered.....try a search on this board.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:34 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Which color is the car?
Silver are student cars in '05. Grey instructor.

The cars at PDE are VERY WELL maintained!
They should have been gone thru and have new rubber, pads, etc.

If you decide, I'd request a DME read out for Type 1 (rev limiter/ no problem) and Type 2 (mechanical over revs).

Old 09-10-2006, 12:43 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

I attended both PDE and PDE Masters. The cars are well maintained and the suggestion of a DME readout is a good one. I would not purchase one unless it was signfiantly priced below retail. I know we got our moneys worth out of 2003 996's and a TT Cayenne when we attended the programs four years ago.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:44 AM
svinaik
Advanced

Default Thank you all

Originally Posted by DHinkle
I attended both PDE and PDE Masters. The cars are well maintained and the suggestion of a DME readout is a good one. I would not purchase one unless it was signfiantly priced below retail. I know we got our moneys worth out of 2003 996's and a TT Cayenne when we attended the programs four years ago.
Your input has given me good data to work with. I am feeling good about the possible condition of the car (assuming that DME read out is good). I am also convinced that unless this car is offered at significant discount, it is not worth buying. These days, all the local dealers are offering $8-$9 K off the cars in the lot and I am sure that they will offer even better price if they see a real purchase. So, unless there is a proper financial incentive to purchase a 2005 MY PDE car, there is no good reason to.

Alternatively, I have already been offered $ 6.5K off a brand new 2007 order car and I can go for a minimally optioned car to cut down the financial exposure.

Either way, I will post my final outcome on this.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:33 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Default Thanks MJones - PDE car is Atlas Grey

Originally Posted by MJones
Which color is the car?

If you decide, I'd request a DME read out for Type 1 (rev limiter/ no problem) and Type 2 (mechanical over revs).

Does it mean that this car would have been always driven by Instructor?. As you suggested, I have asked for the DME readout. Sales person was surprised that I had such a knowledge because he did not have any clue what it is !!!. He did promise to get this report from their service dept.

Can you also please guide what to look for on that report. Does any indication of Type 2 means future problem ?.

Thanks for making me sound like very knowledable to Sales folks.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:13 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Default Thanks MJones - PDE car is Atlas Grey

Originally Posted by MJones
Which color is the car?

Does it mean that this car would have been always driven by Instructor?. As you suggested, I have asked for the DME readout. Sales person was surprised that I had such a knowledge because he did not have any clue what it is !!!. He did promise to get this report from their service dept.

Can you also please guide what to look for on that report. Does any indication of Type 2 means future problem ?.

Thanks for making me sound like very knowledable to Sales folks.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Hi Svinaik,

The PIWIS system tester now breaks down Type 2 overrevs (for the 997 DME 7.8) according to this list:

Number of ignitions, range 1-RPM Range 7,300-7,500
Number of ignitions, range 2-RPM Range 7,500-7,700
Number of ignitions, range 3-RPM Range 7,700-7,900
Number of ignitions, range 4-RPM Range 7,900-8,400 (Some damage)
Number of ignitions, range 5-RPM Range 8,400-9,500 (Damage)
Number of ignitions, range 6-RPM Range 9,500-11,000 (Damage)

Anything past Type 2, Range 3 can point to possible valve/piston contact, which is not good... have the tech at the dealer's take you through the PIWIS output.

-don
Old 09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by svinaik
Does it mean that this car would have been always driven by Instructor?. As you suggested,
For PDE classes in '05 that would be case.

Quick Reply: Porsche PDE cars