Sponsored by:

Sooty left tailpipes revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:53 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sooty left tailpipes revisited

Took my 06 2Cs up to Ser Man so he could assess the sooty left tp issue. Car w 4200 miles, runs strong, no cel, somewhat lumpy idle (I assume normal), oil use maybe 1 qt 3-4 k mi at this point, no smoke. First line of defense was "I can't do anything about that, it's all computer controlled". We checked two other cars, both showed evidence of the same thing. He took a picture of my car to send to Porsche for their input. My thinking is that this must be a systemic problem as it is too consistently on the left for it to be randomly related to a bad ring, cylinder, injector, etc in a particular car. I thought it could be a function of the cold start system but he says that should be properly adjusted by the comp. I was advised that P "will not pay for compression check" and did not push the issue. I explained my concern was not aesthetic in nature but was for the running /reliability of that bank of cylinders. He checked for TSB/updates and said there were none. I did not ask for plug check yet, will await P's response. Any thoughts or updated experiences here would be appreciated. I will update this if anything significant happens. Trying not to be obsessive here but it seems something must be going on. Gerry
Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would visit a emmision testing center and try to get them to analyse the exhaust. Maybe you will be lucky and the tailpipe in question is spitting out levels that are not acceptable. This would REQUIRE Porsche to fix it. Even if it isn't, it should confirm what the imbalance is.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seem to remember someone on a UK forum noticed sooty tailpipes on the left and the next thing was that the car needed a new engine.Will have a search later and post up a link
Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Marsellus Wallace
Seem to remember someone on a UK forum noticed sooty tailpipes on the left and the next thing was that the car needed a new engine.Will have a search later and post up a link
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/296756-997-engine-replacement.html
Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Yes I have seen this. Situation is quite different but it certainly gives one food for thought. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same rough idle issues but also had intermittent flashing CEL. After 3 trips to the shop they replaced my engine. I hope you get a better result than I did. Well really I guess a brand new engine is a pretty fair result, but it is disconcerting when they tell you that they are replacing the engine.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Had the same rough idle issues but also had intermittent flashing CEL. After 3 trips to the shop they replaced my engine. I hope you get a better result than I did. Well really I guess a brand new engine is a pretty fair result, but it is disconcerting when they tell you that they are replacing the engine.
997 S?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

actually a 2004 996. Not the same engine, but appears to have some of the same issues. I kept getting a misfire on the #4 cylinder which was the cause of the flashing CEL's. The actual cause of the misfire is somewhat a mystery. It was clear they could not, or did not want to fix so a new engine was the solution. I just got it back this morning. Glad to have her back. It has been in and out of the shop for most of the last month.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:32 PM

Glad she's back and well!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I would visit a emmision testing center and try to get them to analyse the exhaust. Maybe you will be lucky and the tailpipe in question is spitting out levels that are not acceptable. This would REQUIRE Porsche to fix it. Even if it isn't, it should confirm what the imbalance is.
This is an interesting idea.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
MMD
Banned

Here is Porsche Club expert opinion from their website-----------

I'm getting heavy black soot on the right exhaust only. It's bad enough to coat that area of the body near the right exhaust pipes. I'm not noticing any smoke. I've broken the car in carefully. Oil consumption is exactly 1 QT/1000 miles. I've added 3.5 QTs in 3500 miles. Any recommendations or thoughts as to the cause?

You might be using oil only in maybe one cylinder on the right bank and that is giving you the black soot on the exhaust. Wait until you have about 6000 miles on the engine and see if the soot goes away after the engine breaks in. If is doesn't, I would do a cyl leakage check on the right side. There might be a ring problem there

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 8/8/2005
Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Here is Porsche Club expert opinion from their website-----------

I'm getting heavy black soot on the right exhaust only. It's bad enough to coat that area of the body near the right exhaust pipes. I'm not noticing any smoke. I've broken the car in carefully. Oil consumption is exactly 1 QT/1000 miles. I've added 3.5 QTs in 3500 miles. Any recommendations or thoughts as to the cause?

You might be using oil only in maybe one cylinder on the right bank and that is giving you the black soot on the exhaust. Wait until you have about 6000 miles on the engine and see if the soot goes away after the engine breaks in. If is doesn't, I would do a cyl leakage check on the right side. There might be a ring problem there

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 8/8/2005

And just WHY would you do a leak down test on the RIGHT side?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Drmark
Racer

My experiences may be of some help. I have sooty tailpipe on the left (looking from the back) on my UK 9000 mile 2 year old C2S. It was burning oil too so got two new breathers under warranty. Oil consumption has slweed to 500 ml per 1000 miles but still soot. Dealer spoke to Porsche UK who gave me new exhaust on that side. 100 miles later sooted up again - now dealer wants it back in " for "a couple more tests" for Porsche Germany who are "considering replacing my engine". Will keep you posted. Car runs well, some smoke on start up (mostly cold) from that side.
Mark
Old 09-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Has this issue been corrected for late 06's+?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
Has this issue been corrected for late 06's+?

Thanks

Don't think so... My April 2006 997S has the same issues. One side (right) has much more soot than left. Dealer said I put too much oil in. Buttheads!

Anyway, car runs fine and idle is fine (except once when it felt like it was going to stall while driving) so I'll have them check it again at my next service (8K to go).

Quick Reply: Sooty left tailpipes revisited