Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooty left tailpipes revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by CleanSlate
Don't think so... My April 2006 997S has the same issues. One side (right) has much more soot than left. Dealer said I put too much oil in. Buttheads!

Anyway, car runs fine and idle is fine (except once when it felt like it was going to stall while driving) so I'll have them check it again at my next service (8K to go).
Sorry to hear it's still an issue. Couple of questions/thoughts.

Are you burning a lot of oil?

Have you asked to see the factory rep?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Sorry to hear it's still an issue. Couple of questions/thoughts.

Are you burning a lot of oil?

Have you asked to see the factory rep?

About a quart every 2K miles. Have 6800 currently. No, not yet. Going my local dealer is quite a mission. Loaner is not available unless you bought the car from them (bought car 300 miles away) and their appt times are not convenient for me. That's why I'm waiting until my service is due unless of course I sense, feel, or hear something beforehand.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Has this issue been corrected for late 06's+?

Thanks
Hi, 500. If I may ask, what problems are you having, are concerned about, or you just anticipating the worst? gerry
Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
And just WHY would you do a leak down test on the RIGHT side?
Thanks Mmd. P911 is reminding us that the exhaust crosses over under the car. Please keep in touch about this issue. I am starting to worry and my dealer is not real proactive. I am still waiting to hear about pics sent to "porsche" and what recommendations come from it.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drmark
My experiences may be of some help. I have sooty tailpipe on the left (looking from the back) on my UK 9000 mile 2 year old C2S. It was burning oil too so got two new breathers under warranty. Oil consumption has slweed to 500 ml per 1000 miles but still soot. Dealer spoke to Porsche UK who gave me new exhaust on that side. 100 miles later sooted up again - now dealer wants it back in " for "a couple more tests" for Porsche Germany who are "considering replacing my engine". Will keep you posted. Car runs well, some smoke on start up (mostly cold) from that side.
Mark
DrM, have been following your saga as mine has been unfolding. My symptoms seem less severe(that may not be a blessing) Ques: is your "soot" limited to tailpipe or is it on body also? We need to keep on top of this. Numbers may help Porsche pay attention. I was told "Porsche won't pay for compression check".Seems to me there are others. gpk comes to mind and at least one other poster. I wonder about the numbers of cars affected and their build dates. Keep in touch gerry
Old 09-13-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Hi, 500. If I may ask, what problems are you having, are concerned about, or you just anticipating the worst? gerry
Hi gpjli2, I'm trying very hard to find out what's going on with this issue and the hesitation issue prior to taking delivery of my 07 997 S and also trying to chime in where I can and offer some thoughts/ideas. I've owned many Porsches over the years mosty aircooled 911 and 911 turbos with my last 911 being a 996 (didn't care for it too much, lot's of problems and poor build quality). I think the 997 is a vast improvement over the 996 btw My 2006 e55 Mb also suffered from the hesitation issue exactly as the 997 have I hoping for the best with the 07 and wish all those here get their problems resolved by Porsche without any further BS from them. See the new thread I started re: Excellence...
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CleanSlate
About a quart every 2K miles. Have 6800 currently. No, not yet. Going my local dealer is quite a mission. Loaner is not available unless you bought the car from them (bought car 300 miles away) and their appt times are not convenient for me. That's why I'm waiting until my service is due unless of course I sense, feel, or hear something beforehand.

Thanks
You can ask to meet the Porsche rep without leaving your car and having to get a loaner/rental etc. especially to discuss this issue and show him the problem, just have the service mgr schedule an appt with him. I think the more of us that get the rep's attention with this, the quicker Porsche will react.

Last edited by 500; 09-13-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 500
Hi gpjli2, I'm trying very hard to find out what's going on with this issue and the hesitation issue prior to taking delivery of my 07 997 S and also trying to chime in where I can and offer some thoughts/ideas. I've owned many Porsches over the years mosty aircooled 911 and 911 turbos with my last 911 being a 996 (didn't care for it too much, lot's of problems and poor build quality). I think the 997 is a vast improvement over the 996 btw My 2006 e55 Mb also suffered from the hesitation issue exactly as the 997 have I hoping for the best with the 07 and wish all those here get their problems resolved by Porsche without any further BS from them. See the new thread I started re: Excellence...
Your input is appreciated. My car only exhibited the "bucking" problem once on 1/4 tank after long drive. It was gone the next day. I had used gas I do not normally use (Sunoco) and have never had a reoccurance before or after with Shell in over 4500 miles. Brand of gas may have nothing to do with my or others problems but who knows. My car is 1/06 build.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Your input is appreciated. My car only exhibited the "bucking" problem once on 1/4 tank after long drive. It was gone the next day. I had used gas I do not normally use (Sunoco) and have never had a reoccurance before or after with Shell in over 4500 miles. Brand of gas may have nothing to do with my or others problems but who knows. My car is 1/06 build.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Drmark
Racer

Gerry,
It has specks of soot all over that side of the bumper too. Right pipe and bumper is clean as a whistle. Will let you know what Porsche HQ in Germany come back with - expecting an answer today or tomorrow. Service from both Porsche and my dealer has been exemplary and I have ever confidence this will be resolved.
Mark
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
You can ask to meet the Porsche rep without leaving your car and having to get a loaner/rental etc. especially to discuss this issue and show him the problem, just have the service mgr schedule an appt with him. I think the more of us that get the rep's attention with this, the quicker Porsche will react.

Good point - Will try to do just that.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Carlton191
8th Gear

I took delivery of an '06 C2S on Friday of last week. The car puts out a fairly sizeable puff of grey smoke out of one of the tailpipes which only happens under a specific condition. I drive the car to work in the morning both oil and water get to normal temps...let the car sit for about 3-4hrs then when I go to start it up I get the puff of smoke...doesn't happen during a cold-start or after long period of driving...only under this specific condition. Hopefully things gel a bit more as I get through the break-in. It will be interesting to hear what Porsche has to say.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Drmark
Racer

Porsche have got back and want PIWIS and compression checks before commenting further. What is a PIWIS check? And, given the history of excessive oil consumption, smoke on start up and sooted up exhaust, have they not agreed to do one before. So far rhey have coughed up for 10 hours labour, 2 new breathers / separators and an exhaust. Would it not have made more sense to check the compression early on ... or are they hoping any faulty ring will bed in (now near 10,000 miles)?
Questions questions...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 AM
snarf
Instructor

Re PIWIS see:
http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...=&fpart=5&vc=1
Old 09-15-2006, 02:35 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drmark
Porsche have got back and want PIWIS and compression checks before commenting further. What is a PIWIS check? And, given the history of excessive oil consumption, smoke on start up and sooted up exhaust, have they not agreed to do one before. So far rhey have coughed up for 10 hours labour, 2 new breathers / separators and an exhaust. Would it not have made more sense to check the compression early on ... or are they hoping any faulty ring will bed in (now near 10,000 miles)?
Questions questions...
Checking for overrevs, looking to obscure the problem and deflect responsibility? I was at dealer this am, he sent email to Porsche, no response yet. I requested meeting w regional rep. We'll see. Good luck Mark

Quick Reply: Sooty left tailpipes revisited