2007 997S Order

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
GREBNET
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 997S Order

Im trying to configure an order for a 2007 997S

I have ruled out the Sport exhaust as it is a lot of money for a little more noise with no performance benefit.

Im trying to decide about the sport chrono package. The order guide and Porsche website are vague about what the extra controls ie lights , locks and climate control are. Can someone with this explain what these extra controls/settings are ? I am not thrilled about the dashboard "bubble".

Anyone have the sport seats ? ...I will be the sole driver..Is the Electric seat package worthwhile ?

The extended Navigation is it worthwhile ? I am going to at least get Regular Navi.

The Stainless Exhaust tips...worthwhile or can I get after-market if I wish I had later.

I am not getting the phone module but like the multifunction wheel.. Is that worthwhile just for radio controls/...

Am I missing any other must haves ????

Thanks everyone ...I only want to do this once...

Trading in a 2001 Boxster S
Old 09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Individual memory
The individual memory allows extended vehicle settings to be made via PCM.
These settings are individually assigned to the respective ignition key. Each time the key is inserted in the ignition lock, the stored settings are automatically activated via PCM.
The following individual optionsare available:
• Daytime running lights on/off
• Comfort lighting duration adjustable from 10 seconds to120 seconds
• Rear wiper automatically on/off (this allows the driver to select whether the
rear wiper should execute one wipe cycle when reverse gear is engaged
if a wipe cycle was executed on the windshield within the preceding 40 seconds)
• Automatic climate control: save basic setting (e.g. 73°F, fan set to maximum output and defrost on)
• Unlocking opens all doors or just the driver's door
• Autolock: off, on upon ignition or active after moving off
All settings can be made in the “Individual Memory” menu, which is
called up via “Set” in the PCM main menu.

Sport Seats
Very good.
Two choices:
Manual
It is based on the six-way standard seat and offers improved lateral support. This is achieved with higher side pieces in the seat cushions and backrest as well as extended support in the shoulder area. Other features of the sports seat include firmer padding and a sportier design.

Adaptive
The adaptive sports seat represents a further step towards an individually
adjustable sports seat. It combines the advantages of the fully electric 12-way
seat with the increased lateral support and design of the sports seat. It also
offers four-way side piece adjustment so that the interior dimensions of the
seat cushion and backrest can be enlarged or reduced independently
of each other. Unlike static sports seats, adaptation enables the seat to be co-ordinated to the driver. Also includes Adjustable lumbar support
Old 09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GREBNET
I have ruled out the Sport exhaust as it is a lot of money for a little more noise with no performance benefit.

Im trying to decide about the sport chrono package. The order guide and Porsche website are vague about what the extra controls ie lights , locks and climate control are. Can someone with this explain what these extra controls/settings are ? I am not thrilled about the dashboard "bubble".
I find it amusing that people will rule out PSE because "there is no performance benefit" but will consider Sport Chrono even though there is no performance benefit.

To answer your questions, I bought PSE and ditched SC. I found extended Navi to be worthless to me (I rarely use the standard navi, but a few have liked the extended). Sports seats are nice, but if you're a cruiser and don't need the bolsters, the electric seats may be more comfortable (especially if you are not small-framed). I don't fiddle with the console often enough to consider the multifunction wheel worthwhile (even with the GSM phone module), and PSE comes with stainless tips.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Some thoughts:

Seats.. get the basic ones and manual control to save money and weight Seriously they are just as comfortable imo to the sport/sport adaptive. Only thing to be wary of is if you are broad shouldered and/or have a few extra pounds they may feel a bit small.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:29 PM
GREBNET
6th Gear

Im not convinced about the sport chrono mode either. 1st I dont like the "bubble" and doubt I will ever use it. The Sport button with a different throttle response , is this accessible any other way or does it kick in if being driven hard ?
I do like some of the personalization ( as nicely explained by MJones...Thanks), Can I access daytime running lights or comfort lighting elsewhere.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

We fondly refer to that unique feature associated with the Sport Chrono package on the dash as the 'wart'.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Im not convinced about the sport chrono mode either. 1st I dont like the "bubble" and doubt I will ever use it. The Sport button with a different throttle response , is this accessible any other way or does it kick in if being driven hard ?
NO
I do like some of the personalization ( as nicely explained by MJones...Thanks), Can I access daytime running lights or comfort lighting elsewhere.
NO..without SC, settings DRL, Locking, Comfort lighting, only be changed by a tech at the dealer with the PIWIS system tester
Hope this helps
Old 09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
GREBNET
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
We fondly refer to that unique feature associated with the Sport Chrono package on the dash as the 'wart'.
does anyone ever use the "WART"
Old 09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Curt P
Advanced

One thing about the electric seats is that if you have the manual
sport seats( thats what I have) the right hand mirror does not
adjust downward when going into reverse. It is a feature
that I miss having, Makes parallel parking easier and safer for
your wheels
Curt
Old 09-05-2006, 05:14 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Also the electric option has a power lumbar in both seats....
Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 PM
rmira
Instructor

The PSE delivers an intoxicating sound, and you can turn it off via a button on the console. Other after market exhaust systems are available, and probably as good, but you can't turn them off.

I added PSE after buying the car.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

As far as the Sport Chrono option goes, this excellent article in Total 911 explains the option very well:

As for the seats,...if you are considering the adaptive sport seats make sure you are comfortable in them...they are a nice option but not everyone's frame/habitus is comfy in them. 'Test Drive' each type of seat at your local dealer. I have the power seats and love them...I do not slip on them at all in 'sporty' driving mode.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts

I love the adaptive sport seats and the regular NAV....use it even just in map mode. I actually use the SC - definitely to make the individualized adjustments, but also just to keep time when I drive somewhere. But it's definitely the least practical and useful part, except that Porsche brilliantly linked it with individualized adjustments (which otherwise the dealer can make, so it's no big deal).
Old 09-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Im trying to configure an order for a 2007 997S

Anyone have the sport seats ? ...I will be the sole driver..Is the Electric seat package worthwhile ?

The extended Navigation is it worthwhile ? I am going to at least get Regular Navi.

The Stainless Exhaust tips...worthwhile or can I get after-market if I wish I had later.

I am not getting the phone module but like the multifunction wheel.. Is that worthwhile just for radio controls/...

Am I missing any other must haves ????

Thanks everyone ...I only want to do this once...

Trading in a 2001 Boxster S

You're asking all the right questions.

(1) The Porsche Sport Exhaust is more noise with no performance gain, but it does eliminate the poseur look of the fake quad tips,--on the stock S exhaust. Also, some times it is nice to hear the engine,--and you will always have the ability to muffle them at will.

(2) Sports Chrono. This little button changes the characteristics of the car considerably. Seriously, go out and test drive a 997 with it before you decide. I found that it is extremely useful,--and a safety issue. You WANT max responsiveness from your accelerator pedal.

(3) If you do any distance driving the sport seats with electrics will allow you to change the position while underway,--a bit easier than fiddling with mechnicals. Not for the occasional P-car drivers.

(4) I suspect the Extended Nav option was really made for the Cayenne market,--it will take you off road to any lat/long you plug in. I think it is useful for finding places that are not yet in their street database. Rarely used in some regions of the world, but invaluable in others. The thing keeps working and tracking even if off recognized roads.

(5) With the PSE you don't need chromed tips.

(6) I, too, did not order the phone option but with the navigation option I consider the multifunction wheel essential equipment. Otherwise you are reaching over to the console all the time. With the buttons you can get more out of the assessories. You can always add the phone (666) later.

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise)(Türkis-Blau)
06 Natural Leather Brown
V9 Black Top
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery
Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PSE is hard to beat from 5-7k RPM's. If I had no PSE it just wouldn't be the same. But there's the thing, I can turn it on and off at the push of a button. If I'm not doing a spirited drive I don't care for the burbbly extra sound back there. If you can get your aftermarket exhaust to have that same option then go for it.

Quick Reply: 2007 997S Order