Sponsored by:

iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:47 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts
Default iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics

I know I posted this under another thread but thought since it is the first pics, I would start a new thread for the just pics. I apologize in advance if this annoys anyone.

Please see the pics below. To activate the ipod menu, click on the CD button twice much like you would if you had the CD changer which you will no longer be able to keep. For those of you who have the multi-function wheel, the right spin wheel and return button will work the iPod menu if you are in the Audio menu and the iPod is engaged. The radio controls will also work. That was a bonus discovery. As for the "Info" screen, I remember seeing song text in the INFO section before. I know the pic below shows empty text, but this may be due to the fact that I did not let the ipod sync long enough. I have found the more music you have, the longer the intial functionality takes to load. I have a 60g iPod with close to 40g on it. Enjoy the pics and feel free to fire away the questions.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 AM
dadams1598
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks nice! Where does the I-pod conect(and store) in the vehicle? Also how much was the install with adapters?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:29 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

I had the lead connector sent to the glovebox. I connect the ipod in the glovebox and leave it there. The part and install was $600 and the install takes about 45 minutes. 30 after you have done it once or twice. Since I had 5 different units before all of the bugs were works out, my installer became a pro very quickly.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 AM
msh26
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you mentioned some downfalls. Any significant features that seem to be missing?

Maybe some more commentary on the unit?

Great pics, thanks!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:54 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That looks nice I can't wait to get one on my car, your techart steering wheel btw is BEAUTIFUL, very jealous of you interior.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:07 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

The downfalls experienced were related to getting one of the first units. Since my car has Nav, Sirius SAT radio, and telephone i had issues since nav tv did not have a test car with all of these features. Once nav tv got a car in their shop with all of these features, they quickly worked out the bugs. The bugs were the unit not waking up each time the car was started and the SAT radio screen did not load. You had to turn the radio off and then on again and then the SAT radio would display.

As for functionality, the only issue I have is that the buffer does not hold alot of memory. When you are scrolling thru artists, albums or songs, the buffer will only hold about a page and a half of info. Once you scroll to the end of the page, the system takes 2-4 seconds to refresh to the next page. I have steering wheel controls so this is not that big of an issue but for those that are forced to reach the far right radio ****, this would become annoying fast. The speedo display is useless information. That said, i would rather have the info on the main nav screen rather than in the speedo. My wife's 06' MB ipod integration only displays in the speedo. One line of data that is truncated. The over menu and navigation within the ipod is not too intuitive initially. Once you select playlist, album etc, you have to wait for the system to load the request. Once the "Track 6..." displays, that is your clue that the selection has loaded and now you must select Track List to see the list of playlists, albums, artists etc based on your last selection. Once you select your playlist, album, artist, etc, you then have to click on CD list and then select "Play Selection" Once you get use to this it is fine. Aside from what I have listed, the system works great and the sounds is incredible. Having used the Monstor FM transmitter for the last year in this car, the integration kit is unbelievable.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:09 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

997driver- thanks for the compliment. The techart steering wheel is a must have. It is stunning and the different grip positions are great. I was not thrilled with the lack of thickness in the porsche wheel options. The techart wheel is 380mm thick and much closer to my previous car, an 02' M3 Cab.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:51 AM
fayence
Instructor

How did you add Sirrius radio?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:56 AM
fayence
Instructor

Also, can you provide a link to the product you installed?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:00 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

The SAT radio module for the Cayenne actually works in the 997. Do a search as there are many threads. As for Nav-TV, the link is http://www.nav-tv.com/index02.htm
Old 08-31-2006, 09:42 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msh26
So you mentioned some downfalls. Any significant features that seem to be missing?
I'd say. It doesn't filter out the NSYNC from your IPOD.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:03 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Hey now sws1 , my wife and I share itunes. I myself am more of an audio book, NFL channel, talk radio guy. Music is somewhat lost on me.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 PM
icruze
Racer

rshanholtz,

Thank you for the pics and description. I went to the Nav TV site but wasn't able to locate the product for the 997. Did you order it directly from them?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

My installer got them direct from Nav TV. Did you call them? If you call them they will sell them to you directly.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks real nice! I hope Porsche someday soon can come up with a system that really works. My dealer said they looked into the Cayenne Sat install on a 997 and they said Porsche will NOT warranty anything electrical in the car if Sat is installed this way due to too many sensors in the front of the car were the Sat antenna would be installed to cause interferance with the cars system. Plus they said they would do it anyway but labor and parts would be $1600!!!! YIKES!!!!! I do not need Sat that bad.
Now I wish I could find a local Tampa car audio installer that could do this iPod install.

Quick Reply: iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics