Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like the dealer just does not want to do the install and stand behind it. Is anyone aware of any such proclamation from Porsche NA or AG to the dealers? Nav TV is in FL, no sure where though. Ask them when you call for a local shop recommendation. The install is quick and not that intrusive.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:47 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if Nav-TV is going to release any firmware updates that would allow this to send iPod video to the nav screen, too? I don't intend to watch videos while I'm driving my 997, but it might be a nice thing to have for the kids, when they're in the back seat or in my wife's CS. Also, did the scrolling performance improve, at all, with the video iPod?

BTW, I just spoke with Eric, at Custom Installations; he said he should be getting some more units in, next week, though Nav-TV raised the price of the kit to $620 + 2 hours labor. Total cost, therefore, seems to be about $800, which is certainly not cheap for just iPod integration. Hopefully, Nav-TV will release other features, too, that can be used with the same unit.

Last edited by gmaier; 08-31-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 AM
drex
Track Day

mdrums --

i'll be installing most prob the dension unit but would assist you in doing one (NavTV or Dension) if you are interested...

-d
Old 09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 140 Posts

I wish I had the writting talent So do you think this will be a user installable (is that a word?) product? Can't wait to hear more....

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-02-2006, 08:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaier
Do you know if Nav-TV is going to release any firmware updates that would allow this to send iPod video to the nav screen, too?
You would be in violation of DTLA rules/regulations/laws/requirements (re: unleash a pack of vicious lawyers....try working with them if you don't belive me) if you were to send digital video unencrypted over the MOST network; in order to do so, you must use DTCP/encryption. This will not debut until the release of PCM3 headunits and MOST nodes.

You CAN however interface analog video (say from your iPod) to the PCM, as NAV-TV has done previously. Obviously, an analog transmission falls completely outside the jurisdiction of the DTLA.

No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....I'm just one of the poor SOB's who actually have to design electronics around all these requirements.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:17 AM
nav-tv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
You would be in violation of DTLA rules/regulations/laws/requirements (re: unleash a pack of vicious lawyers....try working with them if you don't belive me) if you were to send digital video unencrypted over the MOST network; in order to do so, you must use DTCP/encryption. This will not debut until the release of PCM3 headunits and MOST nodes.

You CAN however interface analog video (say from your iPod) to the PCM, as NAV-TV has done previously. Obviously, an analog transmission falls completely outside the jurisdiction of the DTLA.

No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....I'm just one of the poor SOB's who actually have to design electronics around all these requirements.
ltc (name?) is MOSTly correct. Porsche (cayenne only), Range rover, Jaguar, Audi and certain Mercedes vehicles all use good old analog video over coaxial cables to distribute video (TV Tuner, DVD, DVB) throuout the vehicle while the audio is streamed via MOST.

Some Mercedes Vehicles (2004-2006 w220 and w215 S-Class and CL-Class) use unencrypted MPEG-2 Video streams over MOST from their TV Tuners. I guess they found the legal loophole for that purpose.

unfortunatly the 997 PCM2 radio, unlike the Cayenne radio, does NOT support any form of video other than an intrusive modification to the LCD itself. I was succesfull in doing such a modification, but the level of intrusion will undoubtly void the radio's warranty, and I do not recommend taking this risk since these HU's are NOT without problems as is.

moni / NAV-TV Corp.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:27 AM
nav-tv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I wish I had the writting talent So do you think this will be a user installable (is that a word?) product? Can't wait to hear more....

Thanks

Matt
User installable ? DIY friendly ? I would say so. it's all up to your level of confidence in handling the vehicle's interior and following instructions (over the phone or printed once someone takes their time to compile a manual).

We have optional plug and play connectors to avoide tapping the only 2 wires (ground and +12V) needed for the interface. otherwise connecting the MOST ring (openning one fiber, connecting it to the OPi-P, inserting the OPi-P fiber to the radio MOST connector) is all that's required. routing the iPod connector is up to you: glove box, center console or the ashtray for the non-smokers.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by nav-tv
unfortunatly the 997 PCM2 radio, unlike the Cayenne radio, does NOT support any form of video other than an intrusive modification to the LCD itself. I was succesfull in doing such a modification, but the level of intrusion will undoubtly void the radio's warranty, and I do not recommend taking this risk since these HU's are NOT without problems as is.
Does this mean video ipod-to-PCM is not going to happen, at least for the average consumer? I got the impression that a unit was on the way, either from your team or the Denison folks.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:23 AM
drex
Track Day

moni-

was very interested in your unit, and can document the install very readily, but it seems to me that the dension unit provides any auxillary audio interface to their unit, and the nav-tv one does not.

correct me if i am wrong here.... or if in the future will there be an upgrade to add a an aux input?

sent you an email. sometimes, a product that works and is available is better than no product at all....

thanks!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:32 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation Urgent Request.

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
I know I posted this under another thread but...
Sir,
Did you pay for all those MP3 songs?

Sincerely,
Metallica

Old 09-03-2006, 04:29 PM
nav-tv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drex
moni-

was very interested in your unit, and can document the install very readily, but it seems to me that the dension unit provides any auxillary audio interface to their unit, and the nav-tv one does not.

correct me if i am wrong here.... or if in the future will there be an upgrade to add a an aux input?

sent you an email. sometimes, a product that works and is available is better than no product at all....

thanks!

take a look at the picture on page 1,

it clearly says "AUX IN" , so YES, the OPi-P has a set of analog audio input in addition to the iPod audio / interface.

moni
Old 09-04-2006, 03:06 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

take a look at the picture on page 1,

<snipped>

it clearly says "AUX IN" , so YES, the OPi-P has a set of analog audio input in addition to the iPod audio / interface.

moni
Maybe you missed my post - could you comment on the availability of any kind of video input?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ltc (name?) is MOSTly correct.
Thanks.

Porsche (cayenne only), Range rover, Jaguar, Audi and certain Mercedes vehicles all use good old analog video over coaxial cables to distribute video (TV Tuner, DVD, DVB) throuout the vehicle while the audio is streamed via MOST.
Yes, and there is an issue with this approach (cost, vehicle level EMC, etc), but mainly the issue of latency causing the audio to be slightly out of sync with the video....some people are very sensitive to detecting this.

Some Mercedes Vehicles (2004-2006 w220 and w215 S-Class and CL-Class) use unencrypted MPEG-2 Video streams over MOST from their TV Tuners. I guess they found the legal loophole for that purpose.
It is likely that since they are receiving analog TV signals, then DTCP/DLTA allows analog content to be transferred via the MOST network. There is also a 'loophole' regarding sub 48KHz sample rate streams and the use of S/PDIF can also be employed (as was done in the MOST infotainment implementation in the Mercedes Maybach....one of my favorite projects)

unfortunatly the 997 PCM2 radio, unlike the Cayenne radio, does NOT support any form of video other than an intrusive modification to the LCD itself.
moni / NAV-TV Corp.
Nor will the upcoming PCM3 allow for this as well. PCM3 will transfer all content (audio, video, command/control/status) via MOST (MOST 1 ~25Mb....no one has found a need for MOST 2 ~ 50Mb quite yet) and all peripherals will be proper MOST nodes.
The MOST Cooperation really screwed the pooch very early on by allowing the OEM's to write proprietary extentions, thus making it virtually impossible (for most) to design an aftermarket MOST compliant node. They have since recognized this and are trying to open the standard to allow for aftermarket MOST devices, but I don't think it's going to get the full support of the (German) OEM's.
And with the sale of Oasis (the foks who brought you both D2B and MOST and develop all the MOST IC's and development tools) to SMSC, I'm not really sure what's going to change.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:28 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

///Mous3- Yes I did pay for all of my content. The most important step when setting up iTunes is to ensure that all CD's downloaded all in MP3 format. the default setting in iTunes is AAC. Once you have downloaded a CD in AAC, you can convert the song/songs to MP3 but depending on how large your library, this could take a while. Also, iTunes creates a copy so now you have the same song in AAC and on in MP3. You can find this setting under burning options within iTunes. This is really only relevant if you plan to make MP3 CD's which will play in my 06' C2S Cab and/or if you use SONOS at home like I do.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:28 AM
drex
Track Day

thanks for answering, moni. i'll think i'll pull the trigger on this since the Dension unit is unavailable...

Quick Reply: iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics