iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 AM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
This thread is killing me.
What kills me is the "it's a few weeks away from release" line that has Denison has been issuing for what seems forever.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by icruze
What kills me is the "it's a few weeks away from release" line that has Denison has been issuing for what seems forever.

Yes, and they admitted they jumped the gun. It was 'released' but when I got that call and was all excited, I thought that meant 'ready for purchase' when it really meant released for final testing. Sucks, but that's what reality is. The person who issued that statement is no longer there, not sure if that is due to this issue or something else, but I know the unit is in testing, and it has done well so far.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 PM
icruze
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Yes, and they admitted they jumped the gun. It was 'released' but when I got that call and was all excited, I thought that meant 'ready for purchase' when it really meant released for final testing. Sucks, but that's what reality is. The person who issued that statement is no longer there, not sure if that is due to this issue or something else, but I know the unit is in testing, and it has done well so far.
Eric,

FWIW, my comment was not directed at you or your company but rather at Denison. I appreciate the group buy opportunity you have offered. I will likely wait until reviews are in on both units before I purchase.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:38 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I spoke with Moni at Nav-Tv yesterday. They were able to replicate the first issue (display not switching song display on main menu) I am having and will work on the remaining issue (no display within INFO/CD INFO) Monday when they have a test 997. I want to reiterate how well Nav-Tv responds to issues. Great outfit. Although I have been waiting a while for them to figue out a back-up camera solution and removing the lockout of navigation functions if the car is moving for my father's 2006 Cadillac DTS. I wanted him to get the A8L, his bank account dictacted otherwise.

I hope to have good news from Nav-Tv early next week for the two small remaining bugs for my 06' C2S Cab.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:50 PM
golfman
Instructor

I must not understand. Why would I pay $600 to $800 to intergrate my ipod when I could use fm wireless modulation and hook it up for less than $50.00. If the major benefit is using the onscreen display in the car then I think that is a little too much. If you could play video on the pcm that would be cool and worth the money to me. Just my 2 cents

I used wireless modulation to hook up sat radio and it works great. Comes in as clear as any radio station would. I know some have said that you lose signal quality that way. I am sure that is true. But how much are we talking about. I know from being in the car stereo business years ago that the human ear can only recognize so much of a difference. If anyone is interested in pics of the sat install I did I can post them. Really simple and looks good.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:24 PM
W211
Racer

The convenience of an integrated iPod system:

1. Music will stop and pick up with ignition, no need to turn on or off the iPod.
2. You can hide away the iPod never having to worry about theft and access.
3. You can skip songs safely using your dash or better, from the steering wheel.

While I would be ok with satellite radio connected to an FM station, I won't find the solution good enough for iPod. Playing my iTunes library involves far more navigation than satellite radio.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:13 PM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by W211
The convenience of an integrated iPod system:

1. Music will stop and pick up with ignition, no need to turn on or off the iPod.
2. You can hide away the iPod never having to worry about theft and access.
3. You can skip songs safely using your dash or better, from the steering wheel.

While I would be ok with satellite radio connected to an FM station, I won't find the solution good enough for iPod. Playing my iTunes library involves far more navigation than satellite radio.
I agree with that but the cost issue is what I can't agree with. By the way if you guys want to intergrate the ipod and you dont have nav in your car get a tom tom 510. It intergrates with the ipod and the stock stereo and if you have a bluetooth cell phone it will give you hands free communication. List price is $599.00. For nav,ipod and handsfree that is a price I can deal with. Maybe I am just cheap.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:38 PM
W211
Racer

Originally Posted by golfman
I agree with that but the cost issue is what I can't agree with. By the way if you guys want to intergrate the ipod and you dont have nav in your car get a tom tom 510. It intergrates with the ipod and the stock stereo and if you have a bluetooth cell phone it will give you hands free communication. List price is $599.00. For nav,ipod and handsfree that is a price I can deal with. Maybe I am just cheap.
I guess I'm comparing the factory CD changer cost with the NavTV iPod kit and the latter seems like a better deal.

Honestly, if I were more rational I would probably just stick with the factory single CD player which is already MP3 friendly.

If I didn't have nav, Tom Tom would be a consideration.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:00 AM
golfman
Instructor

I guess I'm comparing the factory CD changer cost with the NavTV iPod kit and the latter seems like a better deal.

Honestly, if I were more rational I would probably just stick with the factory single CD player which is already MP3 friendly.

If I didn't have nav, Tom Tom would be a consideration.
What did you mean by the single cd being mp3 friendly? Are you saying it will play mp3 burned on a cdrom. I am not fully checked out yet on all the benefits of the stock radio.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 AM
W211
Racer

Lightbulb 2006 PCM MP3 capability

Originally Posted by golfman
What did you mean by the single cd being mp3 friendly? Are you saying it will play mp3 burned on a cdrom. I am not fully checked out yet on all the benefits of the stock radio.
I believe from 2006 onwards, the PCM single in-dash CD player is MP3 compatible. It certainly is in my 2007 turbo as I have burnt and played many 700 megs MP3 CDs. The system supports multiple folders and can play MP3 tracks displaying titles and album information.

The system actually shows CD-Text as well, and allows one to name one's audio CDs.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:29 AM
golfman
Instructor

I believe from 2006 onwards, the PCM single in-dash CD player is MP3 compatible. It certainly is in my 2007 turbo as I have burnt and played many 700 megs MP3 CDs. The system supports multiple folders and can play MP3 tracks displaying titles and album information.

The system actually shows CD-Text as well, and allows one to name one's audio CDs.
Thanks for the info, I guess I need to read my manuel on the pcm a little more.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:34 AM
drex
Track Day

no issues with nav-tv unit for 72 hours.

it simply rocks.

and its auxillary input works as well.

i do not have porsche sirius radio; however now i have AUX-in sirius radio and can move receiver between my porsche and other car.

playlists/artist lists/etc load well, though the more you have, the slightly longer it takes.

ver intuitive interface. photos/pics/video shot; operating manual under development.

can't beat IPOD+nav-tv unit; far superior to stock CD changer..
Old 09-18-2006, 07:41 AM
drex
Track Day

ps stock CD changer and nav-tv unit (OPIP) are not compatible; if you have the stocker cd changer, it is rendered inoperable (requires a bypass).
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 AM
W211
Racer

Originally Posted by drex
and its auxillary input works as well.

i do not have porsche sirius radio; however now i have AUX-in sirius radio and can move receiver between my porsche and other car.

playlists/artist lists/etc load well, though the more you have, the slightly longer it takes.
Thanks for the comments drex, how do you plug in the AUX-in? I don't see a plug in my OPiP.

With 40 gigs of music, I find the unit a little slow and buggy. The song titesl do not always show for some funny reason, but then, I have only had it 24 hours.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:00 PM
drex
Track Day

the power cable has two rca inputs (L and R) (white and red) which can be connected to any low level output device.....

ask your installer....

where did they place the 'end' of your ipod adapter?

mine is in the area under the armrest.

people should note that the ipod controls become inactive when the OPIP is on; no need to display your IPOD (nor does the Ipod display what it is doing -- it displays the 'Nav-TV' logo!) and it is charged while hooked up.

working on the manual and video step by step install.. its an easy DIY for even someone with modest skills.......

Quick Reply: iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics