Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:33 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Nav-tv; The most recent unit installed by Eric at Custom Installations is not displaying the current song being played. Once I change a playlist or an album, the initial song displays in the main menu but when the next song comes on, the screen continues to show the first sdong played only. Additionally, when I click on INFO, then select CD INFO, the screen continues to show PLAY SELECTION as in picture 18 above. I remeber that on the earlier units I tried, this information showed the song and artist as well as the correct song displaying in the main menu. Any ideas? I will tell Eric today and he will probably call you on Tuesday. I am however loving the system, great job!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 AM
nav-tv
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(as was done in the MOST infotainment implementation in the Mercedes Maybach....one of my favorite projects)

LTC - Who are you???? you know way too much ! Please email me at moni (at) nav-tv.com , I want to talk

and BTW - many MOST A/V sources have a delay factor to synchronize audio and video if needed.

moni
Old 09-04-2006, 11:47 AM
nav-tv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Maybe you missed my post - could you comment on the availability of any kind of video input?
gravedigger,

I am never happy offering intrusive modifications. there is a certain risk in having the PCM2 radio taken apart and having modifications done to the internal electronics, even when done professionaly.
I am still debating whether I should release this mod as a service item where radios would have be shipped to us, or not releasing the service at all. We still perform intrusive modifications to Mercedes, Bentley and Chrysler NAV radios, but the risk of units damages in shipping and the time required for such mods makes me think twice about it sometimes.
I will make my final decision within a week or two, so please stay tuned for the Video input option.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for a few more volunteers to write the manuals (got two candidates so far)

Moni
Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
nav-tv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Nav-tv; The most recent unit installed by Eric at Custom Installations is not displaying the current song being played. Once I change a playlist or an album, the initial song displays in the main menu but when the next song comes on, the screen continues to show the first sdong played only. Additionally, when I click on INFO, then select CD INFO, the screen continues to show PLAY SELECTION as in picture 18 above. I remeber that on the earlier units I tried, this information showed the song and artist as well as the correct song displaying in the main menu. Any ideas? I will tell Eric today and he will probably call you on Tuesday. I am however loving the system, great job!
Thank you !

I will look into the anomalies you have noticed first thing tomorrow tuesday. I appreciate your feedback and support !

Moni
Old 09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nav-tv
gravedigger,

I am never happy offering intrusive modifications. there is a certain risk in having the PCM2 radio taken apart and having modifications done to the internal electronics, even when done professionaly.
I am still debating whether I should release this mod as a service item where radios would have be shipped to us, or not releasing the service at all. We still perform intrusive modifications to Mercedes, Bentley and Chrysler NAV radios, but the risk of units damages in shipping and the time required for such mods makes me think twice about it sometimes.
I will make my final decision within a week or two, so please stay tuned for the Video input option.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for a few more volunteers to write the manuals (got two candidates so far)

Moni
Moni - fair enough. As a product manager, I completely understand - the "can/will it sell?" question is only a small component of the overall go-to-market question. I'll wait to see where this goes.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

(as was done in the MOST infotainment implementation in the Mercedes Maybach....one of my favorite projects)
LTC - Who are you????
I'm nobody special. Just a Porsche owner and electrical engineer who's been able to design some bits and pieces for a lot of German cars (Mercedes, Audi, Porsche) and others I'm not so attached to (GM, Nissan/Infinity, Ferrari, etc).

you know way too much !
Thank you.

and BTW - many MOST A/V sources have a delay factor to synchronize audio and video if needed.
moni
Yup, but a fixed delay/constant will not always work, depending on differences in processing (stereo, simulated surround, 5.1, etc), latency due to error checking/processing, but it usually gets you close enough.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:57 PM
docsassy
AutoX

Originally Posted by ltc
Thanks.

Interesting...I also worked on the Maybach MOST system Had it wound out to 270kph on the autobahn one night. The car was still pulling hard but another vehicle pulled out into my fast lane in the distance somewhat and I had to start braking.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:45 PM
nav-tv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docsassy
Interesting...I also worked on the Maybach MOST system Had it wound out to 270kph on the autobahn one night. The car was still pulling hard but another vehicle pulled out into my fast lane in the distance somewhat and I had to start braking.
Wow !

It turnes out that there are more engineers on this forum than in PORSCHE of N.A. !!!

Moni
Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Thank you !

I will look into the anomalies you have noticed first thing tomorrow tuesday. I appreciate your feedback and support !

Moni
Was this issue ever resolved? I plan to get a unit, shortly, but would like to ensure that any early bugs have been addressed. My car is similarly configured to Ray's, including Sirius and phone, so I've been keeping a close eye on his reported experience. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

No, the two issues i have have not been resolved or responded to. I left a message for Moni at Nav-tv on Tuesday afternoon as has my installer. I will call again now.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

It turnes out that there are more engineers on this forum than in PORSCHE of N.A. !!!
Moni
As far as I can tell (with problems I've had with electronics in my Porsche...e.g., DME & imobilizer) there are no Porsche Engineers in NA.

I'm still deciding whether this is the product for me or wait for Dension????
Old 09-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

if you have a video iPod can you run video through it?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

This thread is killing me.

THESE are the reasons the Dension Group Buy is not ready for release yet! Until final testing is complete, and ALL features are 100%, the product will not be released. Who needs all these additional headaches?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-08-2006, 07:38 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Eric, some of us are patiently waiting for the dust to settle!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:19 AM
gmaier
Intermediate

On a positive note, at least we're getting some tactile feedback from a few early adapters of the Nav-TV unit and can, as a result, track the experience, progress and resolution of bugs. I have no particular preference between the Nav-TV and Dension units, but there's been virtually no information coming out of the Dension camp, of late. For me, it will be a combination of market availability, functional capabilities and price. Most early releases of a given technology product have some functional limits or a few bugs; Dension, when it finally releases, is likely to have its share of early problems, too. It seems to me, however, that Nav-TV may have a bit of a head start in identifying and resolving these first-release glitches. That said, I do believe that "beta" testers, like Ray, should be offered a discount for the headaches they incur and the valuable feedback they provide to the product manager and engineers.

Quick Reply: iPod Integration (Nav TV unit) Pics