Sponsored by:

Update-Channel 8 Wants to Interview Me Regarding My Porsche/Gunpoint Incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Update-Channel 8 Wants to Interview Me Regarding My Porsche/Gunpoint Incident

Channel 8 news (a CBS Affiliate) called me yesterday afternoon regarding the incident found in the below post.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/292787-i-was-taken-out-of-my-porsche-today-at-gunpoint.html

They told me they checked out the facts within the e-mail I sent them and "it was very accurate." The NV DMV and the P.D confirmed what happened as a result of the DMV issuing me stolen personalized plates.

The channel 8 news crew is coming to my home Monday at 10:00 to interview me. They want to place a reporter and a camera in my Porsche, and conduct the interview while I drive the route explaining along the way what happened.

They said the event was "surreal and egregious" and they wanted to "air the story."

I agreed to this, because this it is my hope this does not happen to others. Hopefully the responsible governmental agencies out here will re-visit their policies and procedures and make ajdustments accordingly.

Last edited by Dariof; 08-26-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

As much as I detest the treatment you got, personally I would let "sleeping dogs lie" - last thing you need is for some officious public servant to feel that you're trying to embarrass them through the media and then find some way to make your life miserable with other paperwork (or worse) "issues". Good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:10 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might be your best recourse to get the attention of the powers that be. You need to send a message to the local politicians that at the very least the police could do is say their sorry. After pointing guns at you. Somebody will get in trouble if a good story comes out on TV.

The police are human and make mistakes like everyone else. But they should be held to a higher standard.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would definitely do the interview, there's so many things wrong with what happened to you, I would need charts to explain it.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Vegas4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I somewhat agree with jhbrennan, if I were in your shoes, I would probably do the same thing. Looking forward to seeing you "on the air" in your Porsche and good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

The odds of a TV news reporter doing a credible job of explaining what happened to you are "slim and none."
I have been in the broadcasting business for many years. Whenever someone from a broadcast media asks you for an opinion/interview/statement, ALWAYS answer "No, thank you."
Sorry to be so negative, but when's the last time you saw a "feature story" on the local news and thought to yourself, "Wow, that guy really came off as intelligent and unselfish." I rest my case.
Remember - the way you and your story get depicted will be completely out of your control.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:16 PM

It's an election year...shake things up
Old 08-26-2006, 02:35 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it. Tell them your daughter now suffers from nightmares, stress and mental anguish

Seriously, congrats for having the guts for standing up to the wrath of Big Bro.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck with the interview. Let us know when/where/how we can see it.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
The odds of a TV news reporter doing a credible job of explaining what happened to you are "slim and none."
I have been in the broadcasting business for many years. Whenever someone from a broadcast media asks you for an opinion/interview/statement, ALWAYS answer "No, thank you."
Sorry to be so negative, but when's the last time you saw a "feature story" on the local news and thought to yourself, "Wow, that guy really came off as intelligent and unselfish." I rest my case.
Remember - the way you and your story get depicted will be completely out of your control.
Dario be careful.

What you would like to convey and what the news reports, is not always the same thing. Like most things news is a business and the goal is to get people to watch.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
Dario be careful.

What you would like to convey and what the news reports, is not always the same thing. Like most things news is a business and the goal is to get people to watch.
I completely agree, however the news drools over a story like this.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I completely agree, however the news drools over a story like this.
I hear you. I hope Dario gets to make his point. I've had some newsclips which were pretty fair but the ones I remember are the ones that a quote was taken out of context or 30 minutes of talking was compressed into a 10 second soundbite
Old 08-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

If Dario really wants to make this public so "it does not happen to others," then he should talk to his local newspaper - not the TV news people.
A newspaper reporter will talk to all parties involved, cover the full story and present the facts in a straighforward way. The TV news folks will "look for the angle" (rich guy driving Porsche nearly shot by cops in mistaken identity incident) and present the story in a way they feel is the most compelling. If that happens to present a fact or two, great. If not, that's OK, too, if the story is entertaining and somewhat sensational.
Eventually, if the newspaper does a story on what happened, pressure can be applied to whatever "officials" you'd like to make the changes you deem necessary.
With TV news, you'll be lucky if they even get the story correct, let alone present the facts.
For your sake, I hope I'm way wrong on this one.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 223 Posts

I would be very careful here. Sounds to me (given use of the word egregious) that this reporter wants to make you look good and the police look bad. The "Blue Shield" can be a real pain in the *** if you get them on your bad side.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 563 Posts

Bravo!

Quick Reply: Update-Channel 8 Wants to Interview Me Regarding My Porsche/Gunpoint Incident