Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpcourt
It is only 44mm wider
That's what she said.
Old 08-25-2006 | 08:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Einmalig
The weight difference between them is not of any real consequence...

...That is not just my opinion but also the opinion of my friends who race. One of whom has won Le Mans in a Porsche.
I find it extremely hard to believe that anybody with a significant amount of track time would find 200lbs in a sports car "not of any real consequence".

These are the people over on the GT3 board pulling their hair out over a sunroof.

By the way, how many of those racers and friends that won Le Mans are competing in AWD Porsches?

Don't get me wrong...the C4/C4S are great cars, and as others pointed out, probably safer on the street for most people in most conditions...but the racing community as a whole will disagree that they are superior to 2WD cars.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 08-25-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2006 | 04:25 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

The comments made about the C4S were made in the context of a "street car" which is what a C4S was designed to be. No AWD car however competant will ever be as satisfying to drive as a rear drive car by its very design. There is no argument from anyone that rear drive and less weight is highly desirable in a track car. The comment about the extra weight being of little consequence is valid when you consider that the vast majority of C4S will never see a track. These are very fast, well balanced and competant GTs, not decontented track specials. Think Gallardo or 997 Turbo not Elise, Miata, etc.

Even the forthcoming GT3 has numerous extras including a sunroof, PASM, Traction control, limited slip, dozens of comfort options including NAV, Hi FI, etc. along with a fully dressed weight of close to 3300 lbs. Even with 60 extra bhp and a weight savings of 200 or so pounds, a well driven C4S would not be embarrassed by a GT3 on any public road. On a track, there is no question that the GT3 would be the quicker car and tons more fun to drive.
Old 08-27-2006 | 10:30 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

AWD makes it easier to drive faster. If that's what you want then go for it. I prefer the challenge that rwd offers.

In bad weather everyone drives slower, and that is probably a far bigger barrier to extracting maximum performance from your car than the differences between rwd and awd under those conditions. Remember that numerous tests have shown that winter tires have far greater value than awd in snowy conditions.

But test drive them both, and ideally on a rainy day where you would really get an idea of which gives you most confidence.
Old 08-27-2006 | 12:19 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

There's no doubt in my mind that the C4S is a great car - however, part of the defining "experience" for me when I consider my upgrade path lies with a rwd car. My next car will no doubt be a 997 C2S. The S is definately important for me, but even more importantly is I love and cherish the "nimble" and lightweight aspects of the rwd models. I drove a 996 C4 coupe before I bought my C2, and have had a chance to take a 997 C4 (not the S) for a short drive - I have not yet driven a C2S. There is no such thing as a bad 997, but for me the only one I could own would be a C2S.
Old 08-27-2006 | 04:12 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

I think we have this 2 vs 4, S vs non-S debate quarterly (?monthly).

The best way to resolve this issue is to drive both the 2 and the 4 and get what you like.

I have a C2S so guess what?....I'll tell you it's the way to go. I preferred it over the C4S that I test drove. I'm sure the C4S people will tell you they made the right choice.

There is no bad choice but a matter of personal preference. Only you know what you are looking for in your driving experience. There are enough cars out there now that arranging a test drive should not be as big a problem as it use to be.
Old 08-27-2006 | 04:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holli82
I think we have this 2 vs 4, S vs non-S debate quarterly (?monthly).
Monthly? I would say weekly! Or maybe even every few days!!!!
Of course, anyone who knows anything about p-cars realizes that a 4S in Speed Yellow is the best of the bunch.
Old 08-27-2006 | 05:48 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Of course, anyone who knows anything about p-cars realizes that a 4S in Speed Yellow is the best of the bunch.
Old 08-27-2006 | 05:58 PM
Incendiary
AutoX

Originally Posted by Coochas
Monthly? I would say weekly! Or maybe even every few days!!!!
What about a lease vs. buy or new vs. used discussion?

Quick Reply: Carrera 4S?