Sponsored by:

Carrera 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:49 AM
tom0511
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera 4S?

Is the extra $6th for the C4S worth it? I have decided on the CS but my production doesn't start till October so i can still make some changes. Unfortunately my dealer has no demo unit on the C4S so i can't test drive it. Anyone here have one? Do you loose performance over the CS on a dry surface?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Lose performance? Not in my opinion. I love my C4S. You will find that owners are very polarized on this issue - some swearing that AWD is useless in the dry / you give up steering feel / too much extra weight, et al... (the C4S might be a tenth or so slower than a C2S 0-60, but so what?) -

I'm of the other camp - I believe that the C4S is the best deal in the current 997 stable. But, I'm just a bit biased. I think that the extra "weight" in the steering is spectacular, and I love the stabliity that AWD gives me. The C4S is exactly the car I wanted, and it has not disappointed me yet.

You've got to drive them both to make a decision, Tom...

-don
Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 AM
rzundel
Instructor

C4s all the way! I have a 2006 C4s Cab and wouldn't want it any other way. I have to admit that one of the leading reasons for me getting the C4s was the extra 1.7 inches in the rear. I am rear obsessed!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
I believe that the C4S is the best deal in the current 997 stable. But, I'm just a bit biased. I think that the extra "weight" in the steering is spectacular, and I love the stabliity that AWD gives me. The C4S is exactly the car I wanted, and it has not disappointed me yet.
-don
I could'nt agree more.
One other point, the enhanced brakes are amazing.
For me, the C4S is also just so aesthetically pleasing... here's something to tempt you with...who says "width doesn't matter"?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 AM
rzundel
Instructor

C4s all the way! I have a 2006 C4s Cab and wouldn't want it any other way. I have to admit that one of the leading reasons for me getting the C4s was the extra 1.7 inches in the rear. I am rear obsessed!
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Yes, yes and yes.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:23 AM
gmoney99
Instructor

awd has its benefits in the dry and wet. grip is ridiculous!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:58 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

wow no one in the C2 camp chimed in...

well imho the 4s butt looks nice, but for me wasnt worth it because I wont (or shouldn't) be driving in bad rainy/snowy weather... thats why my wife has the volvo xcountry which i might add is insane in the snow. i sware that thing could double as a rescue vehicle up in the tahoe mountains in the dead of winter.

performance wise they are pretty neck and neck according to some top gear videos i watched so i wont argue who's quicker. and i know the 4's arent all about snow and rain i just like to stir a tizzy... what if the turbos were only 2wd ?....
Old 08-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Admittedly I've never driven one, but I don't see the point of the C4/C4S. I'm sure they're great cars, as all of the 997s are. But to me the added weight, cost, and complexity don't provide any benefit; these cars have no problem putting the power down to just the rear wheels. I find it hard to believe that the C4/C4S's wider rear tires and added weight in front don't increase understeer (I hate understeer...just sold my S4 because it was driving me crazy).

But I'm not a fan of AWD in general. I prefer light and tossable whenever possible. Yes, I know it's possible to provoke oversteer in the C4/C4S, but it's hard enough in the 2WD 997s...
Old 08-24-2006, 03:14 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Well...does a 2002 C4S count in this case?
I love my C4S, and dstrimbu is right on the money about the steering.
The feel is slightly heavy, exactly just what I like! (not something a lady driver would appreciate though)
And that *** with the wide rubbers give you the impression that it will not budge an inch off track.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:03 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rzundel
If I'm not mistaken, the rear quarter sections in the C4S is a total of about 2 and 9/16 inches (65mm) wider than the C2
Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 AM
devon7
Advanced

I think it depends on four factors:-

1: The look of the car - if you like the style of the 4S more than the others - go for it.

2: Your driving experience - if you've never had a P car before you may feel more confident with AWD.

3: Where you live - if you live in a location with poor weather it may add to the year round usability of the car if you have the AWD.

4: What do you intend to do with the car - a daily drive needs are a little different to weekly tracking requirements.

This is based on my own experience of ownership which is as follows:-

1st Porsche - 2001 C4S. Love at first sight! I could not believe how sexy that car looked. For a novice P driver I think it was a great choice. The grip is unbelievable, I never scared myself or ever came close to losing it on a bend. In truth I never came close to to the cars real abilities how ever fast I thought I was going. In poor weather the AWD is a great tool. On wet roads it is a great asset in maintaining safe speeds. In snow and ice it will not really work unless you buy a set of winter wheels/tyres.

After a couple of years I got fed up with the hard ride that was typical with that car.

2nd Porsche - Cayenne Turbo. I bought that car on the basis of the quality of the AWD in the 4S.

3rd Porsche - 2005 Carrera S. What a fantastic car, beautiful, fast and exciting. Now I love not having the AWD. I have to work a little harder, I have to stay a little safer. I don't really think I could lose it on a bend but I feel more on the edge. The wheel is much lighter in your hands and the car seems to be more responsive to all inputs. I doubt I can drive it as fast as I could the 4S but the pleasure is greater overall.

4th Porsche ? - I just spent a couple of days in a loaned Carrera and I loved the simplicity of the car. No frills or extras just a great ride and light responsive handling. Who knows, maybe less is more.

I use my cars as daily drives all year but don't track them - yet.

Overall I'd say follow your heart on making a choice and don't worry too much about getting it wrong - they're all fantastic!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 AM
cr2000
Advanced

I've driven both. Get the C4.

The only reason I have a C2S, is because it was the only 06 Red Cab S at all the dealers I checked in New England. Given the choice between a Red C2S or a Red C4S, I would have taken the C4S.

What's another $6k or so when you're spending $100k on a car?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:17 AM
tocho1
Instructor

Go 4S. Faster at the track too, wet or dry.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
If I'm not mistaken, the rear quarter sections in the C4S is a total of about 2 and 9/16 inches (65mm) wider than the C2
Cosmos - That is not correct. The width of a 2006 C2 is 71.18 inches and the C4 is 72.91 inches wide. The difference is 1.73 inches or 44 mm.

Quick Reply: Carrera 4S?