Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question on Langka (chip repair)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 AM
cr2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on Langka (chip repair)

Anyone used it on their 997? Any risk to damaging the surronding paint around the chip(fine scratches, swirls, paint removal, etc.), or is it pretty safe.

I got my first chip today.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:18 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine just came in the mail yesterday. I don't have any chips on the Porsche but I'll let you know how it goes on the BMW.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 AM
gmoney99
Instructor

I used it a while ago. Not impressed. I ended up using a pin head to apply 1 or 2 coats to where it just bumps up above the rest of the paint then wet sanded it every so lightly ( sandpaper sized to eraser tip size) and slowly after 2hrs drying time. Why 2 hrs? Did not want the paint to cure so it could be sanded easily and 'spread' a tiny bit.

On silver the chips are impossible to see unless I point them out to ya.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 AM
gmoney99
Instructor

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/paint.html
Old 08-23-2006, 02:16 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cr2000
Anyone used it on their 997? Any risk to damaging the surronding paint around the chip(fine scratches, swirls, paint removal, etc.), or is it pretty safe.

I got my first chip today.
Never had a problem with it. I would say it's "pretty safe".

But you might want to be careful if you're repairing a chip on a freshly resprayed panel (I think Langka even says something to that effect on their website).
Old 08-23-2006, 06:08 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Just wanted to give an update.

I applied two drops of touch up paint this morning to the tiny chips. Waited 7 hours. Wrapped a credit card in a piece of cotton pillow case (just like they suggest for Langka use) and dabbed the pillow case with a couple drops of Rubbing Alcohol. Gently ran the card back and forth over the touchup bumps and it smoothed them down perfectly. I then wiped the area with a wet cloth, and then lightly buffed it with a microfiber cloth.

Looks great.

Chad
Old 08-23-2006, 11:06 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by cr2000
I applied two drops of touch up paint this morning to the tiny chips. Waited 7 hours. Wrapped a credit card in a piece of cotton pillow case (just like they suggest for Langka use) and dabbed the pillow case with a couple drops of Rubbing Alcohol.
So the rubbing alcohol dissolved the excess paint just like Langka?
I bought and used this product with mixed results. It DOES remove the excess paint, but I found it frequently pulled ALL the paint right out of the chip (and you're back to square one). Also, metallic touchup paints are generally a mediocre match. Touchups generally work out better on solid colors.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by WCE
So the rubbing alcohol dissolved the excess paint just like Langka?
I bought and used this product with mixed results. It DOES remove the excess paint, but I found it frequently pulled ALL the paint right out of the chip (and you're back to square one). Also, metallic touchup paints are generally a mediocre match. Touchups generally work out better on solid colors.
Yup the rubbing alcohol worked perfect. I figured it was worth a shot before spending the money on Langka. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a couple pictures.

I let the touchup paint dry for only 7-8 hours before I used the alcohol. Took maybe a minute of light rubbing, that's about it. I also felt more comfortable using a couple drops of alcohol on the paint.

Quick Reply: Quick question on Langka (chip repair)