Passing Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:25 PM
steve775
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing Harleys

Has anyone noticed Harley Davidson bikers getting upset if you pass them
quickly? They seem to get sensitive about it? Anyone?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

I've found that to be true of most people on bikes. I also have found that pack harley riders get mad if you stay behind them as they ride at 55 in the left lane.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:54 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley people even fight amongst one another. Apparently there's the "true" Harley rider and then the wealthy yuppie midlife crisis Harley rider. The former despises the latter, so I've heard.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 AM
micgreeny
Instructor

I ride a Harley and I ride mostly with "true" harley riders. The people I ride with like to ride as fast as we can get away with, about 85 but if someone wants to pass we get over and let them, I hate when someone blocks me in so (witch is rare, split lanes) but sometime its not safe. I have had many harley rides get mad because I pass them so know what your talking about (hog member types) or will not move over in the lane to let me pass, ****IN dum ***'s doing 55 in the fast. same with those dam SUV'S, just get in the fast lane and sit there talking on there cell phone.--------mike
Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I ride every weekend usually and own an Ultra Classic and Road King. I don't think you can generalize about anyone one group or riding style - in California, we see everything, RUBS, hardcore, HOG Chapters, Sport bikes, fast cars, you name it.

Heck, I was behind a group of Suzuki Beurgmon (sp?) scooter riders going over the canyon this morning!

As far as I am concerned, if it's got wheels and a motor, its all okay with me, as long as everyone's having a good time safely, who cares, enjoy!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in 2004 going from LA- Houston, I ran into a group of harley riders (maybe 30 of them) who were driving at 55mph in convoy on a 65mph limit one lane 2 way road. I proceeded to over take them casually in 5th and when they realized someone was over taking them, they sped up! I had my 964 Cab so dropping to third I stomped 3/4 of the convoy then opposing traffic came and I had to go into the middle of the convoy (which had a gap) and that was a big mistake. The guys were screaming at me and spitting at me (not too bright since at 55mph the spit goes back towards your fellow riders) Then they boxed me in and kicked my car And slowed to 40mph, and all the while there was a line of cars behind this convoy. The screaming and kicking went on for about 20 minutes and I called the highway patrol on the phone. It ended when they had to take a turnoff. Finally the highway patrol turned up and I showed them the boot marks on my car. He told me it's commonplace behavior for certain biker groups and that I wasn't "really" in danger. I told him if they had slowed to a stop while encircling me, I'd have forced my way out of the convoy. It was an unsettling experience. Next time I overtake a group of bikes it'll be in 3rd and WOT.
Watch out out on the roads, there are some weirdos out there! But I'm sure that 99% aren't, but it's the 1% you gotta watch out for.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 08-21-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:41 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the pact mentality!
hard to say how you would react to a situation like that.
you were nice!
but that isn't the typical motorcycle rider either.
when i ride i stay as far away from cars as possible!
and i sure don't hold any cars up in traffic!

jeff
Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Icon
I definitely don't think of all harley riders as hooligans. I myself had a heritage softtail and all the hog owners I know are congenial and respectful.
Anyhow, I'm glad I didn't have to be not nice to anyone. I mean if I had panicked I may have forced my way out of the convoy causing a few of them to get hurt. Then you have to think if they were armed etc. It was a crazy 20 mins I had. I also think if I had a SUV, they wouldn't have been as confident boxing me in vs a little convertible car with the top down.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:53 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Always pass bikes slowly as you never know what they're going to do. If they do something stupid, do you really want a body getting tangled under your car's suspension. I've ridden for twenty years and when riding in a pack, they are not as mobile if they were riding alone so can't really move over in unison. So, drive around them if you can at a low rate of speed then speed up once you get passed. Being courteous is the highest form of respect. If that doesn't work, run them all off the road.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

I rode for 15 years (sportbikes) and hated every single time I got behind any Harley because they were always going at least 10 under and get their panties in a bunch when you pass them.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Cactus
I rode for 15 years (sportbikes) and hated every single time I got behind any Harley because they were always going at least 10 under and get their panties in a bunch when you pass them.

As a fellow sport bike rider, they see me coming and slow down or block. Most guys will trail behind a harley, afraid of their reaction. I'll pull up beside them and proceed to pass them. Occasionally I'll get the HD idiot who thinks they can out run my RC51, which at that point I simply give them the finger whilst pulling away....

Sport Bikes get the least amount of respect anywhere. I ride during the day with my highbeam on to let people know I'm coming....and am always respectful not to pass when I'm not supposed to or ride dangerously with cars around. But it never fails, encountering some idiot either on a HD, car or truck who just doesn't like people on Sports Bikes.

The solution is to pull away from people who might endanger me or my bike. You might think it's careless to do a 'fly by' but I'm not waiting to see the alternative. Slow drivers or drivers who hesitate are equally as dangerous as fast ones. IMO.

As far as the 'wanna be hard-core HD riders or the real hard-core HD riders' I don't wait around to see what they think about me. They'll just hear my Yoshimura's and me in my Full Race Leather Glory passing them.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ride bikes quite a bit (about 15Kmiles/year). My experience with Harley guys is similar to the pack mentality comments. It seems that when I run into a group of 3 or more, they simply will not do the decent thing and let faster traffic pass.

Don't know what it is, but they simply will not work with you. Therefore, I tend to pass them a quickly as I can.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Well in 2004 going from LA- Houston, I ran into a group of harley riders (maybe 30 of them) who were driving at 55mph in convoy on a 65mph limit one lane 2 way road. I proceeded to over take them casually in 5th and when they realized someone was over taking them, they sped up! I had my 964 Cab so dropping to third I stomped 3/4 of the convoy then opposing traffic came and I had to go into the middle of the convoy (which had a gap) and that was a big mistake. The guys were screaming at me and spitting at me (not too bright since at 55mph the spit goes back towards your fellow riders) Then they boxed me in and kicked my car And slowed to 40mph, and all the while there was a line of cars behind this convoy. The screaming and kicking went on for about 20 minutes and I called the highway patrol on the phone. It ended when they had to take a turnoff. Finally the highway patrol turned up and I showed them the boot marks on my car. He told me it's commonplace behavior for certain biker groups and that I wasn't "really" in danger. I told him if they had slowed to a stop while encircling me, I'd have forced my way out of the convoy. It was an unsettling experience. Next time I overtake a group of bikes it'll be in 3rd and WOT.
Watch out out on the roads, there are some weirdos out there! But I'm sure that 99% aren't, but it's the 1% you gotta watch out for.
i ride...but...if anyone booted my car i would run them over by accident of course
Old 08-21-2006, 03:57 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
i ride...but...if anyone booted my car i would run them over by accident of course
knock 30 over at one time? i don't see anyone believing the "accident" story
Old 08-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 241 Posts

My beef with Harleys is the seemingly unacceptable dB that they put out and their owners' needs to freely rev the **** out of it late at night. I've noticed this here in Boston and my many years of Manhattan living. If your car was this loud, you'd get a ticket!

Quick Reply: Passing Harleys