Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:56 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people that ride sport bikes and H.D. riders and for the most part the sport riders are very much aware of who and whats around them and there better riders than the HD riders (harleys handle like **** thats why they ride slow) sometimes in heavy trafic I run in to someone on a sport bike and we'll work togetter to spit lanes , people here me coming and make room witch helps the other guy too. but I have to agree that most guy that ride harleys arn't the best riders , or ride very very safe, to safe or to slow for my taste (mod. my suspenstion handles very well) or are not considerate of others.---------------mike
Old 08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icon
knock 30 over at one time? i don't see anyone believing the "accident" story
Err guys this is a 964 cab we're talking about, even with the US ride height, I doubt running over anything bigger than a snake is possible. I actually visualized of pushing the 3 hogs blocking me from leaving the lane with the car, jam on the brakes and and spin the other way round and hightail it out of there at 140mph. I tried slowing down actually but they just spit more accurately and kicked harder. Cops weren't anywhere close by being an interstate so I thought staying mobile was a smarter thing to do. I mean I doubt they'd have shot me or something (too many witnesses) but a fist brawl wasn't out of the question and 30+ guys vs 1 isn't what I call good odds. To be fair to other riders, this was the only incident where hog riders were unruly to me.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:03 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Err guys this is a 964 cab we're talking about, even with the US ride height, I doubt running over anything bigger than a snake is possible. I actually visualized of pushing the 3 hogs blocking me from leaving the lane with the car, jam on the brakes and and spin the other way round and hightail it out of there at 140mph. I tried slowing down actually but they just spit more accurately and kicked harder. Cops weren't anywhere close by being an interstate so I thought staying mobile was a smarter thing to do. I mean I doubt they'd have shot me or something (too many witnesses) but a fist brawl wasn't out of the question and 30+ guys vs 1 isn't what I call good odds. To be fair to other riders, this was the only incident where hog riders were unruly to me.
you were so terrified you lost control and ran a few over...how many would kick after that.....hypothetically
Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

I agree, most riders are good people but some of the guys that ride in the clubs might not be(lot of attitude) I've run in to it too sometimes and I'm on a bike.-----------mike
Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

haha I could push armored cars out of the way with my car, I'd have no problem pushing out a few harleys
Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I agree. With sport bikes, all you have is speed and great brakes as your weapon and you must use it to ditch aholes and avoid accidents. Be safe out there. I have titanium plates and screws in my head due to a dwi ahole.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I get the same treatment, but since most don't wear helmets I know they won't be around too long or produce too many children, so at least the dumb ones will get wiped out...

I have a major client across from the Harley factory and posed the question about Harley riders' behavior, particularly since I drive a 4-wheel "hog". The tour guide told me the worst offenders are the nouveau riders who are successful (competitive) business people who don't like being beaten by anyone or anything.

His advice was honk, waive, and drive by them slowly. That way they don't take offense...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:36 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ride quite a bit on my Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations Ultra Classic with a 103" motor and 6 speed tranny (88" was the standard - for 2007 it is now 96")...

My group cruises around 80-90 mph... If you come up to us in a group of 3 or less we will pull over to let you pass - if it's a group of 4 or more you better go around because we are already going over the limit and I'm not gonna risk taking the group around for a "cage"...

Yea - I lead 98% of the time...

So - remember - that Bike rider might be a fellow Porsche owner
Old 08-22-2006, 01:52 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

The sad truth is most harley riders don't really know how to ride well at all. I just returned from my 2 week trip out to Sturgis bike week where I rode my Harley. I saw plenty of knuckle heads out there. I have only 7 years of riding, but I ride safe and smart. My buddy who I rode with has 25 years on a bike and is a chief instructor for the MSF ( motorcycle safty foundation ). I have taked 3 advanced MSF courses and it has made me a much better and safer rider.

Here's a pic from my trip of Main Street Sturgis, South Dakota with the rally in full swing. There were over 500,000 bikers. I didn't see too many cars on the highway, but I saw more bikes than I ever have in my whole life.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFScheck
I ride quite a bit on my Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations Ultra Classic with a 103" motor and 6 speed tranny (88" was the standard - for 2007 it is now 96")...

So - remember - that Bike rider might be a fellow Porsche owner

JFScheck for 2007 all CVO's will come standard with a 110 inch motor and a 6-speed. While at Sturgis I not only saw all the new 2007's at the civic center ,but tested a CVO road king with the new 110 motor. Totally awesome!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know - friend just got a "Black and Orange" one - with the pipes on the dyno she is putting out less torque and horsepower even though it is a little bit bigger engine than mine...

We think the bigger engines are restricted by some pipes (louder than the normal stock but better emissions we think).

Great bikes - will keep mine as it's a 06 was able to get away "legally" with more add-on's "EPA" wise thus more performance than those 110's will get.

Yea - the 96 and 110 is a whole new revesion of the Twin-Cam motor...

Have an 88? Jealous of the new 96? Don't be - with a 95 kit and new cams your 95 will POUNCE on one of the new 96 bikes - add SE 6-Speed tranny and good to go!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have seen, most HD riders realize that they have a slow, heavy & ill-handling bike and don't try to run you. They are out there to just cruise around. What amazes me is how all these guys get away with open pipes. A bike should be a little loud for safety these days, but how can anyone live with that racket for long?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's the idiots with open pipes (ruins the performance of their bikes but they don't care cause it sounds "cool") that are ruining it for us guys with "nice souding pipes" that increase horsies and torque.

Thus 2007 - don't get caught swapping or you can be in some trouble - finnaly...
Old 08-23-2006, 06:05 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFScheck
I know - friend just got a "Black and Orange" one - with the pipes on the dyno she is putting out less torque and horsepower even though it is a little bit bigger engine than mine...

We think the bigger engines are restricted by some pipes (louder than the normal stock but better emissions we think).

Great bikes - will keep mine as it's a 06 was able to get away "legally" with more add-on's "EPA" wise thus more performance than those 110's will get.

Yea - the 96 and 110 is a whole new revesion of the Twin-Cam motor...

Have an 88? Jealous of the new 96? Don't be - with a 95 kit and new cams your 95 will POUNCE on one of the new 96 bikes - add SE 6-Speed tranny and good to go!
Your friend just got one wow, not many dealer around here have 07's yet. They are still trying to get ride of their '06 stock. But from riding one I can tell you it is a little faster than the '06 in bone stock trims. Hey ride one and then tell me what you think. I rode one at Sturgis a week ago. Harley had every single 2007 there including all CVO's in the demo ride fleet.

Yes I have a 2003 Ultra Classic twin 88 which is stock except for the stage one kit and pipes. I did add a Baker direct drive 6 speed where 6th gear is a 1:1 ratio compared to the Harley 6 speed which is an overdrive. Bert Baker was the first guy in the world to put a 6 speed in a bike. I went with his product since it is simply the best after all he invented the 6-speed for V twins. His DD6 trans. is a work of art. Not only do I get better fuel economy, but I also gain performance since his DD6 does not robe HP like other 6 speeds. His DD6 in 6th gear is 99% efficient compared to Harley's 6 speed which is only 90% efficient. It was the best single upgrade I did to the bike.

What color is your '06 CVO Ultra?? BTW the CVO baggers are all very sweet.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
My beef with Harleys is the seemingly unacceptable dB that they put out and their owners' needs to freely rev the **** out of it late at night. I've noticed this here in Boston and my many years of Manhattan living. If your car was this loud, you'd get a ticket!
dave,
you wanna hear LOUD at night go to bike week in daytona!
alllll niggghhttt loonngggg!

jeff

Quick Reply: Passing Harleys