Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be a Southern thing.........

Just Kidding
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the Ricer cars always up my tail! Usually the really bad Ricer as well; cheap body parts held on by Bondo or other fasteners. Then, they rev-up that silly engine that sounds like a weed wacker. I just try to let them pass or if at a light, let them get around me. I hate the ones that creep up even if you try to roll forward for a bit of room. Then they get my eye contact in the rear view to let them know I'm aware. In other words, "knock it off!"

If I'm on the RT 7 extension, it's always some tool who has to race-up to my tail... Like they can't tell it's a Porsche. One had to race up from way behind just to try to get behind me. Just let them pass if possible.

Normally, since I'll drive in the right lane with the wife (she hates the car BTW) no one really bothers me and they have the ability to pass if they are in such a hurry.

The worst was one person living in my condo complex. Has I always do, I pull up to the garage, have my emergency lights on and garage door open. I tried to backup into the garage when one owner just had to rush by me nearly clipping the car. Next time I saw this person, I informed that he should "leave earlier". And it would be "nice to yeild to those entering and exiting a garage". I do it for others.

Let's face it, there are TOOLS out on the road that do not have our thoughts and respect. Now you know why insurance rates are so damn high!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 08-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

By the way, here's an older thread dealing with the same issues...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=unpleasant
Old 08-21-2006, 01:58 AM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

I think it's universal to all sports cars. I know I don't get much attention in my Audi but as soon as I'm in my 928S4 every SUV on the road seems hellbent on drafting me.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I also get this all the time. I never noticed it with any other vehicle I have owned.

I am not interested in racing anyone, so I just pull over and let these people go by.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here, these signs could help...
Unless You're A Hemorrhoid, Stay Off My ***!
Die Tailgater Skum!
Don't Rush Me-I Get Paid By The Hour!
Don't Tailgate!
Don't Tailgate, Or I'll Flush!
Hit Me - I Need The Money!
Hit Me Easy, I'm Full Of Gas!
I May Be Slow But I'm Ahead Of You!
I Slow For Tailgaters!
If You Can Read This, I Can Slam On My Brakes And Sue You!
If You Can Read This, You're Too Damn Close ASS_HOLE!
If You Get Any Closer, Introduce Yourself!
Not So Close, I Hardly Know You!
Please Tailgate, I Need The Money!
Tailgaters Die Young!
What Is It About My Bumper That Attracts Tailgaters?
Your Tailgating Intimidation Is Wasted On My Cruise Control!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,056 Likes on 567 Posts

Even if You're A Hemorrhoid, Stay Off My ***!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

as the driver of a beater car, the one you wouldn't park next to in a parking lot - sometimes, some people just want to get a good look - although, tailgating is a dumb way to do it.
The fact is, there's dumbasses in every kind of car, and the bigger fact is that a porsche garners more attention and has a more competition oriented lineage and thus, a sort of street rep. Unlike a 745i which is a luxury liner, NOT a sports car.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the tailgating phenom is due to a little jealousy and or some testosterone. Just this last weekend a friend was seriously harrassed by one of these guys on his way up Highway 1 to Monterey. After a long cat and mouse thing the guy even had the nerve to wait for my friend when he filled up. Personally I would have driven the wheels off the car to lose the guy.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
IMO the tailgating phenom is due to a little jealousy and or some testosterone. Just this last weekend a friend was seriously harrassed by one of these guys on his way up Highway 1 to Monterey. After a long cat and mouse thing the guy even had the nerve to wait for my friend when he filled up. Personally I would have driven the wheels off the car to lose the guy.
DUEL
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
CButler
Instructor

Default While approaching Birmingham a couple of weeks ago,

on the freeway I had two pieces of "trailer trash" in a jacked up Ford truck with Mississippi plates, driving in the fastlane of a 6 lane highway, flick a cigarette butt at my car at 75 mph. Indeed I was following them, but I was about 125 feet behind and posed no threat. I wasn't tailgating or otherwise bothering them. The cigarette incident sort of pi**sed me off--visibly. A few seconds later I see this milky white wad of human sputum hurtling towards me -- the "loogie" kind. The little bas*tard must have sucked all the fluid from his nickel-sized brain to make this one. All over my freshly washed beautiful brand new black 997S!! I sceamed out in fury as my girlfriend wondered if I was going to have an aneurism. Honestly, I don' t know if I've every been that angry. You cannot imagine my fury at having been treated this way...as I had done nothing to provoke it. I geared down to 3rd and passed them in about 5 seconds...as they proceeded to flip us off. I worried about encountering them later down the highway, I was heading west and was clearly going to need gas within a 150 miles or so. I just don't know what would possess these pieces of sh*t to do somehing like that. At the time, I feel that I would have bashed their brains into the asphalt, if I'd had the opportunity. I know it's only a car, but being assaulted on the highway -- whether it be by bullets of lead or bullets of human mucous -- is worthy of a couple of dozen stiches. I'm getting mad all over again just thinking about it!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts
Default They wanted to **** you off. And you GOT pissed!

Originally Posted by CButler
...I just don't know what would possess these pieces of sh*t to do somehing like that...
To get precisely the reaction you so willingly gave them. You're lucky they weren't armed.

Out here in Tinsel Town (where everybody is assumed to be armed), if somebody wants to ride-my-tail, I will happily slow down and let 'em by. It's a "fool's game" but only if you play along.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grizzley Mace, Won't kill em and they might sue you. But it might save your life at a gas station or a rest stop. It has a range of about 30 feet and if it will stop a bear. Can be found at most Sporting Goods stores.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
bvineyards
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how i would like to deal with tailgaters

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Similar incident a few months ago on the PCH (yes that PCH). I was passed by an Escalade as I was traveling north on the PCH from Malibu to my house. I came to a road which runs across the Oxard plain to the 101 north and wanted to open it up a bit as it was dark and there were no other cars on the road. I went around the Escalade and he hit me with his brights, then got on my rear end. I opened it up to about 100+ and saw that he had fallen back quite a bit, though he was still visible. Fortunately I hit all of the lights I needed to, threaded my was thru some on ramp traffic and headed north. Don't know what happened to him, but the point is you just don't know what's going to hack some of these people off. My MO now is to take my rides during the day in the middle of the week and tale trips to the more insane locations in either my Landcruiser or new Hybrid Camry.

You've really got to have more "situational awareness" in the P-car.

Quick Reply: TAILGATERS!!!