Thinking about buying this C4S Cab. Need some info

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 PM
mb500
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying this C4S Cab. Need some info

Hello all,

My first post here Seems to be a nice place for a porsche owner. So I'm thinking of becoming a part of porsche community too... but need some help. I'm looking into this C4S cab which obviously has some problems Its being sold through insurance auction in USA (I really dont care about the titles, the car would be going to Lithuania, the title is not so important here and the car would be brought back to its best condition). Its said to have suffered water damage but I would like to know more and I thought maybe the previous owner of the car is a member on this board... So anybody know more about this C4s?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for my English, its like 4am right now and i'm kinda tired

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm it doesn't ring a bell, don't recall seeing the owner on the board, but I could be wrong.
Just get it checked out, make sure it isn't too far gone. Judging by the photos of the interior alone, it seems like whatever flood damage it had wasn't too severe - At least the carpet has been cleaned quite well, as you can see. Make sure there's no bigger problems lurking (mildewing underpad, for example) - in other words, that it's been done properly, not just a band aid to present well.
Whatever you decide, inspect it inspect it inspect it! What you may think is a small reapir may be thousands more!

Anyways, good luck!
And your english seems to be spot on.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Do a title search using the VIN to determine former registrations. Once you establish state registration, you may be able to back into the owner through the web or DMV. Beware, water damaged cars are infamous for electrical problems that occur randomly. With the flooding in Louisiana and Houston, there are a lot of cars getting dumped in the market. I would be scared to death to touch this car. Find out who totaled the car (which ins. company) and contact them to find the agent and owner.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Run...don't walk...away from a car with water/flood damage. Even of title and warranty aren't an issue, corrosion and electrical problems could arise at any point in the future, and are usually difficult and expensive to diagnose and repair.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:54 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Anyways, good luck!
And your english seems to be spot on.
welcome back from your vacation vancoo!

jeff
Old 08-19-2006, 12:00 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Put your nose to the carpet and smell for mildew. Also, check the connections under the hood for muck. I'd even send it to the dealer before ever even remotely considering this car. I wouldn't consider it, but if your married to the idea, do your work!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd walk away, fast.

Damn thing even has a flat tire.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
mb500
5th Gear

Thanks for replies. I Really appreciate your kind advices but it is impossible to check things myself (like smelling the midlew) because I'm from Lithuania.. Still hoping to find out more about this car so keep the replies coming
Old 08-19-2006, 01:16 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mb500
Thanks for replies. I Really appreciate your kind advices but it is impossible to check things myself (like smelling the midlew) because I'm from Lithuania.. Still hoping to find out more about this car so keep the replies coming

Send it to a local dealer for a pre-purchase inspection and they'll report directly to you what the problems are, aside from the water certificate. I would still advise you to avoid this car, but if you insist, it's worth the money for pre-purchase inspection.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you and the car are separated by many miles it would be even worse to attempt a purchase. Water damage is vague,--it could be slight, or it could be back from 'the dead,' (or the depths of Lake Michigan). I highly encourage, as others have before me, to not even think about a deal on a water damaged car. Like in real estate, water issues are never cheap to resolve and will be with you forever.

What sort of 'deal' are they offering? How does one put a price on water damaged goods? I would think they are 'best casing' it,--and pricing it higher than it should go. After all, you will be dealing with it for some time, and will also have to report the issue when you finally let it go.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

With all of the potential issues associated with 'water' and 'electronics' I would not even remotely consider such a vehicle.

My advice?...run - run as fast as you can in the opposite direction!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Hurricane Katrina car?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

I think most salvage titled cars go for 50 cents on the dollar. Consider the insurance company was willing to write off the car would mean significant damage has existed (I doubt they would write off the car if there was 'slight' water damage). If they are offering slightly more than 50 cents on the dollar for blue book value, and you were an adventurous type willing to spent 20-30K more in the next few years for potential repairs (plus what does Porsche do for salvaged titles, do they still honor the warrentee?) then consider it (however I would not). Plus either the rims are too big, or it really does have a flat tire, which is a poor sign when someone is trying to sell it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying this C4S Cab. Need some info