Sponsored by:

Black or Basalt Black?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:11 AM
clk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black or Basalt Black?

Just seen this interesting Q on Roadfly -- but no replys -- can anybody here help ???

Black or Basalt Black?

"Can you please tell if you have owned both and which one you prefer? Thanks"
Old 08-17-2006, 05:22 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have not owned both but I do own a Black 997S. Based on my personal taste, I don't like Basalt - it is just sort of a "washed out" black. There is nothing like pure Black, clean and shined up real nice - stunning!

I do like Atlas a lot, and might consider owning an Atlas car in the future - very dark, almost black, but with a much more intriguing tone than basalt.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 AM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Black is to plainish, Basalt on the other hand has the metallic flakes much better color IMO. My car is Atlas Grey, awesome color....
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the Basalt Black has a metallic flake in it - for me, it doesn't really work.....gives a result that's sorta a very dark greyish color, or dirty black as others have suggested. All to individual taste though ....
Old 08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
CButler
Instructor

I went through the same analysis for nearly 2 years -- Black, Basalt, Atlas. I ultimately ended up with Black....and it's smokinfrigginhot!!! when it's clean. When it's dirty, it looks terrible. But, in reality, so does Basalt and Atlas. Having come from 6 year line of 3 metallic silver and metallic gray cars, I was looking for a change. If you're **** about scratches and swirls, then Black will drive you nuts. Basalt, due to the metallic flakes, tends to "scatter" the light and you won't notice these things as much. At dusk, Black is seldom distinguishable from Basalt, however in sunlight, Basalt looks a bit dull and sometimes purpleish; yet, at other times, brilliant and shiny. Under fluorescent lighting, however, Basalt looks all sparkly and rich. This is where the flaws in Black show up considerably.

Ask yourself: Do I plan to keep my car really clean, almost to the point of obsession? If so, get Black. If not, get Basalt. Or White.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=basalt

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=basalt
Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Dro
Instructor

I would go with Atlas Grey before I went with Basalt black.
Pure black is just so nice especially after a nice detail.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Basalt over flat black. The difference is that it metallic with a silver flake in it. In bright light, it has a brighter more lustrous look to it. For color preference, it depends on the car. I am really disappointed that Porsche has dropped Seal Gray, which is my favorite and one of the most popular colors. I will have to wait to see Meteor Gray when it comes out. For non-aero cars, Seal is my first choice with GT Silver following. For aero cars, I am now fond of front ends unless they are in dark colors. I would look at Basast Black, Atlas Gray or Midnight Blue with Aero. My $.02.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Racer48
Intermediate

I much prefer Basalt. Basalt looks great in the sunlight, especially with the sand biege interior.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:56 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

I've gone through this agonizing decision on more than one occasion: flat black or metallic black, metallic black or flat black. On both occasions, first with a BMW 645 and now with a C4S, I ultimately opted for the flat black. There is no doubt that black is, perhaps, the most difficut color to keep clean...but when it's clean, watch out! Basalt, or any metallic black, for that matter, may better hide some of the imperfections on a dirty black car, but I personally find it to look a bit too grayish and dull in bright sunlight, whereas a clean pure black car has that awesome sheen to it, albeit one that no doubt incurs a lot more maintenance overhead. My philosophy is: if you're committed to black, then go for the real deal. If you're interested in a dark metallic, Atlas Gray is a nice color, too. In the end, of course, it's all a personal decision and the 997 looks good in just about any color available.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaier
flat black or metallic black, metallic black or flat black.
It's actually gloss black, not flat black....better known as Solid Black, one of the four solid colors available for free.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:03 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

"black or not-really-black?"
Old 08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

I have basalt black on my p car and plain black on my x5. Both a pain to keep clean. Both look black under the shadows or at night. Both look great under direct sunlight, but the basalt has a spark-ley shine to it. Basalt is black with a little character fussiness about it.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:08 PM
rzundel
Instructor

I have basalt on my C4s cab. It is a pretty car but I would probably stick with pure black. Basalt doesn't show minor imperfections but if you keep your car cherry all the time like I do, you will have greater satisfaction in the pure black finish.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:09 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

My new 997 is black and my 2004 Cayenne is basalt black. I prefer black, but basalt black is easier to keep clean.