Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 PM
drr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was at PDE they mentioned that bumping up the RPM's on downshifting is better for the clutch and engine.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I have a question on downshifting. Sometimes when I'm about to turn into a corner, my revs will be about 3,500 and I'll heel-toe and downshift into the lower gear and rev to about 4,500 - 5,000.

Is this too hard on the car to do on a daily basis? Most of my driving is non-hwy and non-city, so I find myself doing this quite a lot.
If you match revs well, wear on the clutch is negligible (hence all these posts about how you don't even need to use the clutch if you match revs well, though this is not to be advised).

Thus, the only thing that could be considered "hard" on the car is having the rpm between 3,500 and 5,000, all of which are well within redline.

So what could possibly be considered being hard on the car about all that? Absolutely nothing.

2 tips: (a) don't downshift at a roadspeed speed where the resulting engine speed after the downshift will be forced to excede redline (VERY bad), and (b) keep the rpm < 3,500 until the engine oil is warmed up. Otherwise, drive like that to your heart's content (and use the clutch please).

-B
Old 08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Rev matching during downshifting is important to do whether you are braking or not, around town or around the track. Ideally you can heel toe ot toe toe (rolling). Practice both whenever you can and decide which onne you like best. I agree the Ultimate Pedals help me toe-toe. You can heel toe just about any car. But some are clumsier than others.

SHifting without the clutch causes a very characteristic type of synchro damage. They will catch you if it breaks and not cover it under warr.

On the track, most shifting should be done in a straight line, not in a turn. It will cause instability. It is a technique of the very inexperienced or the very advanced
Old 08-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by drr
When I was at PDE they mentioned that bumping up the RPM's on downshifting is better for the clutch and engine.

I must be doing this right,--and assumed that everyone does this. I have in excess of 100,000 clutch miles on two different Porsches because of this sort of driving. If you don't match the transaxle speed to the engine speed you're not being smooth. This is just normal manual transmission driving folks.

Quick Reply: Question on downshifting