Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i-pod interface NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006 | 02:38 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PCM3 will be here shortly, and will address some issues, perhaps in MY08 ??

Can't jump on the technology bandwagon too quickly.....
Old 08-09-2006 | 03:02 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

I just had mine installed today. I have an 06' C2S CAB. It works well so far but will post a more detailed description tonight. It is the VAV-TV unit and I did use the CD changer. I thought this might be the case so I never ordered or installed a CD changer.
Old 08-09-2006 | 03:03 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Sorry about that last post...fat fingers. The unit is from Nav-TV and I did lose the ability to install a CD changer.
Old 08-09-2006 | 03:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MJones
PCM3 will be here shortly, and will address some issues, perhaps in MY08 ??
Can't jump on the technology bandwagon too quickly.....
Not THAT quickly.
Working out DTCP issues has NOT gone smoothly, to say the least.
Old 08-09-2006 | 03:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
The unit is from Nav-TV and I did lose the ability to install a CD changer.
That would be expected, given the way they have to introduce the adpater into the ring AND have the headunit's user interface control it.
Old 08-09-2006 | 05:14 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

OK, a few issues have cropped up since the install this morning.

1. When the car is turned off with the iPod still plugged in, when you start the car, the iPod is not recognized. At this point, I have to unplg the iPod and then plug it back in. PITA
2. The Sirius radio would not come up when cyclying thru the am/fm/sat button. I could hear the last SAT channel I was on, but the display would stay on AM. If I then turned the radio off and then back on, the system corrected itself with full SAT display and functionality.

We called NAV-TV and they have suggested to change the way the system is plugged in. My tech is working on that now. I will let you know if this corrects the wake-up issue and the SAT display issue. Fingers crossed.

The menu system does display on the main screen but the small display under the digital speed indicator only shows CD and Track numbers (useless info). I have a 60 gig iPod non-video and the system seems to take a while to cycle thru on the menu options. If you are in a playlist playing music and then want to go back to the playlist menu, you must choose a different method like genre, artist, etc. and wait for that menu to initialize. Once that has initialized, then you can go back and select playlist again. This is a little disappointing. All in all however, the system works as well as the integrated iPod solution in my wife's 06 CLK 500 CAB. Major bonus having the information on the big nav screen in the Porsche versus only on the little display screen in the IP as it is in the Mercedes.
Old 08-09-2006 | 05:22 PM
SDSmith
Advanced

rshanholtz

Can you please post some pictures of the various screenshots when you get a chance if possible? Thanks. How is the sound quality? My installer in Greenwich called me up a week or so ago and indicated the NAV-TV product was available but I was of hoping someone tried it before me - - so thank you.
Old 08-09-2006 | 05:38 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

I will try to post pics tonight or tomorrow morning. I am in Greenwich now. I use www.custominstallations.com. He worked at the place everyone uses in Greenwich for years and went out on his own last year. He comes to the office or home and is awesome. He has done all of my k40's, Nav-Tv in the Range Rover, backup cameras et all things car related. Very clean work and reliable.
Old 08-09-2006 | 05:40 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Forgot, sound quality is amazing. Definitely CD quality. Of course, after using Monstor's FM transmitter for the past year, my expectations were already low.
Old 08-09-2006 | 06:32 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Forgot, sound quality is amazing. Definitely CD quality. Of course, after using Monstor's FM transmitter for the past year, my expectations were already low.
I wonder if a 4 gig nano would respond faster?
Old 08-09-2006 | 07:47 PM
jfraser
Instructor

rshanholtz, First off thanks for being the early adopter

One quick question...how long does it take to refresh when browsing....EG if you were searching using artists and you had a long list of artists beginning with the letter 'A' lets say the equivalent of 6 screens worth...does it seemlessly scroll thru all of them, or does it need to refresh when you get to the bottom of the screen.....load a few more names, and then continue

Thanks
Old 08-09-2006 | 09:26 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Holtz what did you pay?
Old 08-09-2006 | 10:23 PM
robert1
AutoX

Smile

i installed mine a couple days ago and like it so far. the only issue i have with it so far is that when you exit and re enter the car, sometimes it wont "find" the ipod. this may only be an issue because i installed the unit on top of my nav unit and cant disconnect the ipod at will. other than that it seems pretty good. also no video so far
Old 08-10-2006 | 12:23 AM
Deven
Pro

I am a big fan of gadgets, but for some reason, spending the price of 2 Ipods on an interface seems a little excessive to me (but then I did spend $1000 for option 666 so I guess I am a **** for technology). If the interface is smooth and without glitches, I'll probably do it.
Old 08-10-2006 | 11:47 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

jfrazer- every switch you make takes a few seconds. When you go from Playlist to Artist, it takes a few seconds to load. Once loaded however, scrolling thru artists, playlists or songs is instaneous. It's the intial load of each section that takes the time.

Silversteel- I paid $675 plus tax. A little pricey but come on, these are $100k plus cars. $675 is barely a rounding error!

There are definitely a few glitches. I must unplug and replug the iPod evertime the car is switched back on. Additionally, sometimes the SAT radio does not initialize so I must turn the radio off and then on again. When I do this, i do not have to unplug the iPod again. Sometimes, the radio information on SAT, am & fm does not appear. Turning the radio off and then on again clears that up. I also have NAV which works perfectly with no glitches. I also have the 666 tele option and that too works without a glitch. The two main issues are the iPod recognition on start up and the confusing SAT/screen display radio glitch.

Of all the glitches, there is only one major flaw in the actual system. If you are playing a song from a playlist and you want to change to a different playlist, you must select a different option such as Artist or Genre, wait for that to load, then re-select playlist wait for that to load, then select the playlist you want. This takes a little time and is annoying. Having the information on the NAV screen makes this process much easier to follow. Changing songs within a playlist is a snap and the scroll feature within a playing playlist scrolls quickly.

Sorry for not posting pics yet, I will do this tonight no question.

Quick Reply: i-pod interface NOW!