Sponsored by:

i-pod interface NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ahs911cab
With all due respect to Eric, the Nav-tv unit is not in testing and is on the market. Unlike the Dension unit, this is real and not vaporware. I spoke with the installer and the unit has been installed and is working. The unit is installed behind the head unit and the controls are on the screen so you can view your playlists and the track which is playing.
Post some pics!!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
SilverSteel....I completely agree with you that it is an absurd price.....However, my understanding is that the MOST licensing fee is VERY expensive....

Don't forget the 'licensing fee' that must be paid to Apple (~10% of retail selling price for EVERY iPod accessory device using that little connector on the bottom), and the 'licensing fee' paid to the OEM (PAG) for access to the OEM specific extentions to the MOST protocol.

BTW, if and when PAG releases their OEM version, how much do you think they are going to charge for it?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 PM
TerryR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, what is up with this post?

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&Number=256735
Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerryR
Unbelievable!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 AM
jfraser
Instructor

That was the info that Jessie (who is always very pleasant and has a thankless task in representing Dension) gave me on Monday as well (I'm so embarrassed for Dension, that I don't even bother posting their excuses anymore!!!)

....So here we were thinking that finally this was going to end...and it looks like....JUST THE BEGINNING!!!! No doubt we'll now be waiting for software updates to fix issues....

FWIW I have ipod integration on a Pioneer receiver and it suffers from the same problem in that it takes several seconds to refresh the screen when you get to the bottom .....It makes using the ipod all but USELESS....

a PCM screen can probably show 25 artists names at a time ....if it takes a few seconds to refresh & you've got a few thousand songs...Hmmmm!!! better hope it's a roadtrip across America otherwise you'll reach your destination before you find the song
Old 08-09-2006, 12:06 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc

Don't forget the 'licensing fee' that must be paid to Apple (~10% of retail selling price for EVERY iPod accessory device using that little connector on the bottom), and the 'licensing fee' paid to the OEM (PAG) for access to the OEM specific extentions to the MOST protocol.

BTW, if and when PAG releases their OEM version, how much do you think they are going to charge for it?
Talk about money for old rope....or in this case old cable.....Regarding the Porsche version....I had it on pretty good advise that if & when Porsche release something ipod compatible it won't be backwards compatable
Old 08-09-2006, 09:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

.....Regarding the Porsche version....I had it on pretty good advise that if & when Porsche release something ipod compatible it won't be backwards compatable
Well, compatability for a MOST device is simply S/W....so if you design the PCM S/W to not recognize the 'new' MOST device, then you would force people to upgrade.....since you control the S/W updates.

Yes, PAG marketing is running the show now.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:39 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

If they are are deleting factory options (eg: sport shift ) and shifting them to Techquipment, in favor of dealer profit, it would seen prudent to release options highly desired by customers, especially those that are easily installed by dealers at a good profit!
To not provide retrofit, seems rediculous!! Then again this is PAG..
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 AM
MHK
Instructor

I think I am taking my name off the discount list and will check out the Nav-tv option
Old 08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

We need a more definitive review of the Nav-tv unit. All we have heard is that it works!
For $600-$700 dollars, I need more hands on info!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Ugh.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by larrytrk
If they are are deleting factory options (eg: sport shift ) and shifting them to Techquipment, in favor of dealer profit, it would seen prudent to release options highly desired by customers, especially those that are easily installed by dealers at a good profit!
To not provide retrofit, seems rediculous!! Then again this is PAG..
Perhaps, but then again, why have they still not 'released' the 9x7 Sat radio option....even though somebody (no names) knew it was the same as the Cayenne H/W (and would work...no names), which is why there are 9x7 owners driving around with OEM sat radio.

The simple answer is ROI.

PAG/PCNA marketing has determined that people will bitch and complain about lack of features/options.....but in the end, they'll still write the check.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
jfraser
Instructor

I spoke with NAV TV & Dension this morning.....The main piece of info I got (and found somewhat disturbing) is that these units are NOT flash upgradeable!!! So they had better be perfect out of the box otherwise we are SOL!! I find this doubly concerning because I also own a Dension adapter in a BMW X5, and it took 3 firmware updates before it functioned correctly.

NAV TV is a bona fide product in that I can give a credit card and get the product in a couple of days.....Dension as of this morning are still testing (the updated box they received didn't work because the manufacturer sent them one for a Mercedes by mistake.) I was told to call back on Friday to find out how the replacement box faired.

I gave Andre at NAV TV this website address and told him there were dozens of us here desperate for a solution.....

So who's going to be the first to try this out?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:25 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Who in their right mind would sign up for a group buy before a product is fully tested and proven?....looks like a hassle waiting to happen.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I spoke with NAV TV & Dension this morning.....The main piece of info I got (and found somewhat disturbing) is that these units are NOT flash upgradeable!!! So they had better be perfect out of the box otherwise we are SOL!!
This is a major advantage to being classified as an 'aftermarket' accessory.

EACH and EVERY OEM MOST NODE (amplifier, CDChanger, etc) MUST be in vehicle Flash upgradeable (usually done via CDROM update via the headunit or via other means, PIWIS).......trust me, I know.

Quick Reply: i-pod interface NOW!