Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA Retaurants - Porsche Safe Valet/Park?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 05:07 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LA Retaurants - Porsche Safe Valet/Park?

When you take your car out for an evening to dinner in Los Angeles, what are your favorite restaurants that offer safe parking or quality valet service?

Always searching for a new dinner destination!

Thanks...
Old 08-05-2006, 05:16 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Morton's in Burbank.

Cheesecake Factory off Canoga--parked it myself in the parking structure.

Given the # of P-cars around here, they don't get that much attention. There was a thread a while back on "how to park" to minimize your risks. One common thing that most posted was to find a spot on the end and angle in to it. Don't go way off in the distance and take up two spots--that seems to be an invitation for trouble?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

There's no such thing as safe valet parking. Never valet park!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:31 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Valet, are you kidding me? I've had two cars wrecked, not just damaged by valets. I wouldn't trust them with my son's big wheel. You literally have to inspect your entire car before you drive off for any claim against the valet to stick. Once you drive off, your claim is completely at the valet companies discretion. Don't believe me. Don't ask how I found out. I was convincing enough to win, but after discussions with an attorney friend, you lose all recourse once you drive off. READ THE TICKET! How many of us will do a careful walk around when they pick up their car? Exactly. Don't do it.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

Speaking as a former valet parker, please take the often-given advice here, NEVER, EVER give your car to a valet to park.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:01 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the only places in L.A that my car gets valet parking is the Hilton at Universal City, and Miyagi's sushi off Sunset Blvd. I only trust them because they always park my car right at the front of the restaurant with me watching so it's never a big deal. Other than that, i'd be weary to park my car at other unknown spots.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:10 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

NEVER
Old 08-06-2006, 01:11 AM
TripleInboard
Advanced

I hate to valet park, but unfortunately I have been in situations where I have no option. (i.e. a downtown restaurant with no available parking) For the most part I just try to act "cool" with the valets, and not let them think I am a cocky guy who thinks he should be able to park his own car. If you are really worried, just tip the valet before you hand him the keys, and politely ask him to park it out front.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:24 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

We decided to try Campanile Restaurant on La Brea tonight. They were very friendly and let me self park it up front. The valet even guided me back into the spot. I tipped them well after I parked it and they were great. When I left the valet even guided me off the driveway at an angle to avoid the infamous s-c-r-a-p on the lower front lip.

There was a silver 996 TT next to mine when I left? Are you on Rennlist?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pacific Dining Car on 6th in downtown or in Santa Monica. Very high end restaurant...valets are employed for a full career at this place...I've been going there for more than 20 years and you usually see the same face(s). They take very good care of the cars.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:50 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legalkix
...valets are employed for a full career at this place...I've been going there for more than 20 years and you usually see the same face(s).
Oh great... bitter dead-enders parking expensive cars day after day!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:17 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

A lot of hotels in Las Vegas you almost have to valet park, otherwise you have to park way out in the middle of nowhere. I just hold my breath and hope they don't pull a Farris Bulow. Tipping up front helps.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:18 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
There's no such thing as safe valet parking. Never valet park!
+1
Old 08-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Matsuhisa's is also good. The lot is right next to the restaurant so you can watch them park it and it's a short drive. In general you'll find valets are very decent especially at the nicer restaurants where they don't want their customers to come back mad or not come back at all.
I'm not that **** about the car so I guess I'm not that bothered. I mean in LA, a 911 is like a VW, no big deal. A testarossa or 348 still gets more attention than my 911. Also at some of the restaurants, there are many much more expensive cars than mine and they have no problems leaving their keys with the valet. So why get so worried? Anyways, I'd rather risk a little damage to the car than my wife having to wait outside a restaurant for me to park the car 4 blocks away to feel better
Old 08-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Porky
Instructor

This sounds nasty, but when I was in LA (new Boxster at the time) I always offered the keys to the valet and said if you break it YOU will buy it - I know where you live.....THEY always let me park it and in a decent spot but I always gave them a more than generous tip once I parked. Only at a couple of hotels did the valet park it.

A couple of times, I did say, that this is not just my car but its my home - if you smash it, I will have nowhere to live - be easy or keep a room free - they always seemed to laugh and were nice.

I think valets just hate stuck up snobby guys - don't we all? If I were a valet I would probably be extra careful with every car I sat in!!

Quick Reply: LA Retaurants - Porsche Safe Valet/Park?