Sponsored by:

New Car Has Arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:29 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Yesterday I searched for the PSE disconnect and couldn't find it. It's located in a different place on X51 equipped cars.

MC
Yes, on X51's it is on the left hand side behind the left air intake - it is down a little low so it can be tricky to see. In addition, on X51's the connector is usually black and gray instead of the orange and gray more commonly found on non-X51's.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but I've pulled it off of some X51's before so I know where it is.

Do me a favor and post a picture when you find it! If you can't find it, then post a picture (using macro mode on your camera and a flash) of the area behind the left air intake.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
Yes, on X51's it is on the left hand side behind the left air intake - it is down a little low so it can be tricky to see. In addition, on X51's the connector is usually black and gray instead of the orange and gray more commonly found on non-X51's.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but I've pulled it off of some X51's before so I know where it is.

Do me a favor and post a picture when you find it! If you can't find it, then post a picture (using macro mode on your camera and a flash) of the area behind the left air intake.
Just where you said! I think this is it -

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Just where you said! I think this is it -
I can't see the connector type from that angle in the picture, so I can't say for sure. If the connector looks like the attachment below (but probably not orange) then YES that is it. If not , then keep looking.

NOTE: My pic shows it disconnected. Be sure to get a zip tie to hold it in place against something cool so it does fall and land on something hot and get scorched. Some people also put electrical tape on both ends (which I still need to do).
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah, and once you disconnect it go give your car an Italian tune up (its okay to tap 5500 a couple times before you hit 2000 miles ) and let me know what you think of PSE now.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronmart
Despite what you may be reading in the manual, that doesn't jive with reality. If you drive at a constant speed and toggle the sport button on and off you'll notice that the throttle mapping changes - you'll feel the difference. You'll also notice, once you are more used to the car, that sport mode is a little more herky jerky in stop and go traffic.

Now that I have my PSE unplugged from the sports button so that it is always on, I rarely use the sport button anymore because I prefer the default throttle response for its smoothness across the entire range of the pedal travel. On another thread elsewhere in the 997 forum I go into more depth about the effects of the sports button on throttle response, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
You may be right but I think it is a bit more complex than just on or off. Here is a quote from the manual:

"Sport Mode

The electronic accelerator pedal reacts sooner and the engine is more responsive to throttle inputs when Sport Mode is switched on. This function is only activated after the driver has floored the accelerator or released it briefly. This feature provides a 40 brake horsepower boost to X51 equipped vehicles for a duration of 10 seconds."

Ok - so I made up the last line... the rest is legit. Don't quite understand the logic but it's interesting to note that the throttle changes only when floored OR released.

MC
Old 08-04-2006, 01:24 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Ronmart and Johnny...

I found the PSE wire exactly where you described it and disconnected it. OhMyGod! What a transformation!!! I noticed in Sport Mode the PSE sounded great from 3000-4000 rpm but seemed to shut down after that. With the wire disconnected it sounds INCREDIBLE from 1000-5000 rpm's (I haven't gone any higher than that since the car just turned 400 miles).

Bottom line... The PSE sounds fantastic when it's "active" but sounds much better when it's disconnected and open all the time. It must be at least 25% more loud and incredible without the wire. Even my neighbor came over to the house minutes after I arrived home tonight. Simply beautiful!

MC
Old 08-04-2006, 01:48 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

One more thing... The wire has a retainer clip that must be pushed out before it will disconnect. On X51 cars, the wire is far more difficult to reach because it's mounted on the left side of the intake manifold, behind the airbox. Don't force it. Get a narrow, slim piece of material and push the clip outward from the center. I used my ignition key and it worked fine. Then the connector will come apart with a solid tug. Listen and love after that!

MC
Old 08-04-2006, 02:28 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

Would you have to reconnect this cable to pass the CA smog test? I'm assuming the electronic control is there to pass the noise regs as opposed to the emissions regs...
Old 08-04-2006, 02:33 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

No, the muffler is a "cat-back" system so unplugging the active component changes the sound but not the catalytic effectiveness of the system.

MC
Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by H20NOO
No, the muffler is a "cat-back" system so unplugging the active component changes the sound but not the catalytic effectiveness of the system.

MC
Correct, you just get extra noise.

However, as a side note when sports exhaust is off (i.e., the valve flap is closed) the inner pipes do not emit exhuast. If you left it plugged in and the sport button off, then you wouldn't have air flowing out of all 4 pipes. However, there's the same volume of air if you use 2 or 4 so the quantity and quallity of the exhaust would be the same either way.

Good point about noise ordinances. Might be worth hooking up for that alone.

Quick Reply: New Car Has Arrived...