New Car Has Arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

congrats, matt.
i can't make SROW this weekend, was there last.
get the car broken in and have fun on track, i assume TH?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NICE 997S!

Let me know if your PCCB's start to "whine" once in a while. It seems I'm getting some noise up front on my PCCB's, but dealer cannot locate problem. Pads are fine as is the rotor. A PCNA regional rep is now going to inspect the car. SOunds like a hung pad or piston in the caliper. Other than that, I love the PCCB stopping power! Just watch out when really wet as there IS no stopping until dry.

I love the PSE as well! WIth Sport on and PASM off in normal, ride is nice and I get the quick throddle responce and nice music from the PSE. I'm past break-in and HOLY CRAP! Wait till you wind out that engine!

I was thinking of the X51, but just couldn't justify the $17K for factory mods that only net 26hp. Nice engine though!

One day I may go put a set of H&R springs to lower it a bit as they look a bit high in the rear. Problem is that my Aero will be ground down to a nub, so I now have the GT3 lip as a replacement. They are matte black/dark grey and easy to replace.

Now the hard part of the break-in!

Deanski
Old 08-02-2006, 11:25 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
congrats, matt.
i can't make SROW this weekend, was there last.
get the car broken in and have fun on track, i assume TH?
Yes, TH, Thursday 10/19. Care to join?

MC
Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Yes, TH, Thursday 10/19. Care to join?

MC
got your email, i will try to make it.
10/20-21 NCRC will do TH too.
maybe i will do all three days.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

X-51 and PCCB's. Way to go!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:41 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

- PSE - All I can say is WOW! The gutteral growl at about 3000-3500 RPM is enough to make my hair stand up. Then it quiets from 3500-4500 which is about as high as it's gone so far. Can't wait to hear what happens from there to redline.
If you keep PSE plugged in like it is now, you want to know what happens after 4500 RPM's? Nothing! The good news is, if you unplug that puppy you discover that what you've heard so far is about 40% of what PSE can do and I'm telling you that you will be in LOVE!!!!

Congrats on the car - glad to see you enjoying it!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:43 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H20NOO,

Just curious if you're going to keep the side amber lights? I'm one of those who's not sure if the clears look good on the greys... i've seen them in person on seal greys and honestly could go either way... any opinions?

And I forgot to say: "Enjoy your hella saweet ride brah" missed your spec on PCCB's how do you like them so far? Can you tell the difference in regular driving/braking?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:47 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratuations! She's a beauty! And light, too.

Damn, between the two of us we've cornered the market on Atlas Grey X51's.

Is that Crystal Springs in the back ground? Lexington can't be THAT full... can it?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
H20NOO,

Just curious if you're going to keep the side amber lights? I'm one of those who's not sure if the clears look good on the greys... i've seen them in person on seal greys and honestly could go either way... any opinions?

And I forgot to say: "Enjoy your hella saweet ride brah" missed your spec on PCCB's how do you like them so far? Can you tell the difference in regular driving/braking?
Personally, I prefer the amber lights. I'm not a big fan of the clear lenses.

The PCCB's are probaby incredible. I say probably because the car only has 300 miles on it now and there is really nowhere on the street to clearly prove PCCB's are better than the steel brakes. I will say that after about 200 miles the initial bite went up by about 30% so they require very little pedal effort to slow things down. They also produce virtually no dust which is great. I bought them because a) I am a nutcase about weight reduction, especially unsprung rotating mass, b) I like the way they look... and wanted a unique and special car, c) there is something damn near erotic about 14" carbon brakes! Can't wait to get them on track! In summary, the advantages of PCCB on the street are reduced weight, unique look, greatly reduced brake dust and bragging rights but not much in terms of outright performance.

MC
Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks beautiful, MC.

Congratulations! .. Enjoy her in good health!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"- In sport mode, throttle tip-in is 50% faster BUT ONLY IF YOU FLOOR IT after switching it on. "

I don't understand this. Mine works fine without flooring the throttle.

As to PCM I agree it's too complicated for its own good, based on my experience of owning a 997 Coupe before my Cab. I haven't even switched mine on yet and I've had the car for 6 months! PSE provides all the music I need, and I hate navigation which takes twice as long to figure out than reading a map.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
"- In sport mode, throttle tip-in is 50% faster BUT ONLY IF YOU FLOOR IT after switching it on. "

I don't understand this. Mine works fine without flooring the throttle.

As to PCM I agree it's too complicated for its own good, based on my experience of owning a 997 Coupe before my Cab. I haven't even switched mine on yet and I've had the car for 6 months! PSE provides all the music I need, and I hate navigation which takes twice as long to figure out than reading a map.
I'll doublecheck but, I read in the manual that the throttle mapping (remember it's servo operated "drive by wire" i.e. no throttle cable) changes ONLY if you floor the accelerator. So, you can go into Sport mode and keep the normal throttle response or change it to the aggressive response by flooring the pedal. Once in aggressive mode, it stays there until Sport mode is turned off.

Personally, I find this to be a very nice piece of engineering by Porsche as it allows the PSE to open without the delicate driving requirements of the modifed throttle. There is a very noticible difference between the two throttle maps.

If anyone has their manual handy, you can confirm. Otherwise, I'll run out and pull my manual at lunch time and post the exact language.

MC
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

I'll doublecheck but, I read in the manual that the throttle mapping (remember it's servo operated "drive by wire" i.e. no throttle cable) changes ONLY if you floor the accelerator. So, you can go into Sport mode and keep the normal throttle response or change it to the aggressive response by flooring the pedal. Once in aggressive mode, it stays there until Sport mode is turned off.

Personally, I find this to be a very nice piece of engineering by Porsche as it allows the PSE to open without the delicate driving requirements of the modifed throttle. There is a very noticible difference between the two throttle maps.

If anyone has their manual handy, you can confirm. Otherwise, I'll run out and pull my manual at lunch time and post the exact language.

MC
Despite what you may be reading in the manual, that doesn't jive with reality. If you drive at a constant speed and toggle the sport button on and off you'll notice that the throttle mapping changes - you'll feel the difference. You'll also notice, once you are more used to the car, that sport mode is a little more herky jerky in stop and go traffic.

Now that I have my PSE unplugged from the sports button so that it is always on, I rarely use the sport button anymore because I prefer the default throttle response for its smoothness across the entire range of the pedal travel. On another thread elsewhere in the 997 forum I go into more depth about the effects of the sports button on throttle response, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronmart
Despite what you may be reading in the manual, that doesn't jive with reality. If you drive at a constant speed and toggle the sport button on and off you'll notice that the throttle mapping changes - you'll feel the difference. You'll also notice, once you are more used to the car, that sport mode is a little more herky jerky in stop and go traffic.

Now that I have my PSE unplugged from the sports button so that it is always on, I rarely use the sport button anymore because I prefer the default throttle response for its smoothness across the entire range of the pedal travel. On another thread elsewhere in the 997 forum I go into more depth about the effects of the sports button on throttle response, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
Yesterday I searched for the PSE disconnect and couldn't find it. It's located in a different place on X51 equipped cars.

MC
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yesterday I searched for the PSE disconnect and couldn't find it. It's located in a different place on X51 equipped cars.

MC
Funny. I had my head in there first thing, too. I couldn't find anything that looked like the old system's vacuum junction. Let me know if you find it... I'll do the same.

Quick Reply: New Car Has Arrived...