Sponsored by:

New Car Has Arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Car Has Arrived...

And after 200 miles I am beside myself. A few initial observations...

- The interior fit/finish is impeccable. Exterior is also very good.

- PASM is simply incredible. I didn't think the difference from normal to sport mode would be so dramatic but it is. In normal mode the car rides beautifully, firm but forgiving. In sport mode, it trundles along like a track-prepped sports racer. Too much for regular street use but probably just right for its first track day on 10/19. The change is instantaneous. Push the button and the car is transformed. Good stuff.

- In sport mode, throttle tip-in is 50% faster BUT ONLY IF YOU FLOOR IT after switching it on. This is a really great piece of engineering by Porsche because around town, 50% faster throttle makes stop light getaways a bit of a challenge. If you don't floor it, the throttle response will stay in regular mode but, the shocks will stiffen and more importantly, the PSE will open for that awesome sound. If you floor it, even for a second, the throttle response will quicken making downshift throttle blips are instantaneous and effective. In my 993 I have to really jab the throttle to raise the revs. So, if you want the PSE sound around town but don't want the supersensitive throttle, you can have it. Well done Porsche.

- PSE - All I can say is WOW! The gutteral growl at about 3000-3500 RPM is enough to make my hair stand up. Then it quiets from 3500-4500 which is about as high as it's gone so far. Can't wait to hear what happens from there to redline.

- PCCB - I was expecting a very firm pedal but no. The pedal is mushy like so many other multi-circuit, computer intervention, ABS brake systems. Several pumps firms it up nicely so I suspect I'll be writing a follow-up after I power bleed the system. The initial grab is predictable and the overall stopping power, to the extent I've pushed it in my first spirited drive, is impressive.

- Handling is on par with reference, the 993, which has PSS9 coil-overs, dropped 2", sport sway bars, fairly aggressive toe and camber. The 997 steering is a bit less connected just off center but overall, the car is a scalpel, especially in sport mode. And, it feels much more compliant and forgiving.

- The engine and drive train are impressive although it's too early to provide a real review. The idle is a bit rough, which I like but was unexpected. There is much less flywheel effect than I expected which I REALLY like and may explain some of the cammy idle charactaristics. Torque down low is good but this engine really comes to life at about 3500 rpm. It displays an eagerness that is very satisfying, always seeming to want to accelerate with the slightest provocation. Clutch action is nice an light with perfect feel. Shifting is a bit stiff but will hopefully loosen with break-in.

- Assorted items... Sport seats fit well but have reminded me that my love handles are turning into arm rests. The aggressive bolsters may bother some folks who are ample in the midsection. Standard stereo system is more than enough for me. I also like the fact it plays MP3's so each disc can contain hundreds of songs rather than a dozen or so on a CD. FINALLY a steering column that adjusts for height and reach, Yea!! The 993 does neither.

The basic controls for mirrors, lights, cruise control, etc. are both intuitive and of excellent feel and quality. That mess in the center console (aka "PCM") is neither intuitive or particularly impressive, especially since it houses a whole bunch of buttons that control features I didn't desire or order. As if to underscore the point, there is a seperate manual for the PCM that is FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETEEN pages long (ok, so half of it's in French - adding insult to injury), longer than the manual for the remainder of the ENTIRE vehicle!

The overall impression of this car and it's capabilities relative to the reference 993 is like comparing a Gulfstream G5 to a P-51 Mustang. Both are amazing in their own right and piloting either is a treat would bring a big smile to your face. But, ultimately, if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, and in total comfort, the G5 would be the choice. The 997S is like a private jet for the motorways.

I'll post a follow up and track impressions after 10/19.

MC

P.S. Atlas Grey - Very nice!
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the review and comments.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
timnitti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the car! Nice write up. I especially agree with you about who great the PASM system is. I was pretty sceptical about this feature. I assumed it would end up being a gimmick that worked poorly. It's not, it works great!

I had the same initial reaction to the PCM system. Too complex, too many buttons, etc. I was coming from an S2000 that had almost no contorls and certainly zero complexity. I was surprised how quickly I got used to the PCM system and how fast I became proficient with it. That said, Porsche ought to buy their system from Acura or Lexus and stop doing this on their own ... it's not even close to the systems those companies have come up with.

In terms of the engine and drivetrain ... just wait till you get past break in. I was religious about keeping revs down until I was past the recommended break in period. When I finally let it loose I couldn't believe what the car was capable of!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Congrats and thanks for the review!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Awesome review - I can't wait for mine to arrive! (on pins and needles)
Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats. congrtas and congrats again!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Queram
Instructor

Congratulations!! Great color and informative review, cannot wait to hear your track impressions.

You must feel relieved since you have been waiting for this car so long.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:23 PM
snarf
Instructor

Good review and nicely written. In 30 days time I'll be behind the wheel of mine, I went for the Carrera sport wheels but I think the std wheels look great on your coupe - hope I made the right decision.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Dro
Instructor

Great review MC...i feel the same way about mine!
PASM is awesome. So cool how it changes that drastically with the tap of a button. I agree that for regular street use sport PASM mode is a little much.
I agree that the shifting should losen up a bit upon breakin as well.

All in all i am very happy just as I am sure you are. Everytime I get in the cockpit I have the biggest ****-eating grin on my face!
I will try and get some pics up in the coming days.
I guess our 997s could be considered sisters since they were on the same vessel

-Sandro
Old 08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Great review... can't wait for the rest of the follow-up! Beautiful machine!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:28 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Very nice MC congrats! Did you make it to last Saturday's Santana Row meet? I saw an Atlas Grey with no plates yet, assumed someone just got it was it you?

Have fun! See you at Santana Row sometime!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Very nice MC congrats! Did you make it to last Saturday's Santana Row meet? I saw an Atlas Grey with no plates yet, assumed someone just got it was it you?

Have fun! See you at Santana Row sometime!
Wasn't me last weekend. It might have been Colm. He has a new Atlas Grey coupe although his has color matched wheels.

I'll be there this Saturday.

MC
Old 08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very beautiful car. Nice write-up too!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:38 PM
texas911
Race Car

Nice to see a 993 owner that isn't blinded by the 993. Congrats.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Terrific review and happy motoring in your new car.

I agree about the PASM and PSE... it is amazing. I've only had time to do about 40 miles and they were on a steep and windy mountain road... 2 minutes from my home... all I can say is that the car is like no other! Simply astounding.

Enjoy your lovely car and congrats!

Quick Reply: New Car Has Arrived...