OIL--why 0-40wt? Study w/great facts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
The good news is you are asleep BEFORE the moment of lube

As me how I know? Just had it done last summer at the whopping age of 33! Yeah, that's something I want to subject myself to, but with colon cancer taking my Dad and grandmother in the span of 12 months I will gladly be scoped in the exit only region every 2 years
Do they go in far enough to check you tonsils? A buddy of mine (52 years old) found out a few months ago that he had colon cancer which had spead to his liver, so in his case, it doesn't look good. Doctors said that had he had a colonoscopy a few months earlier, he would be cance free...most likely. I guess it's an easy enough test that all should do once in awhile, especially for those like you who have cancer in the family.

I wonder if they use a different lube for those of us who may experience "limited slip" once in awhile?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Do they go in far enough to check you tonsils? A buddy of mine (52 years old) found out a few months ago that he had colon cancer which had spead to his liver, so in his case, it doesn't look good. Doctors said that had he had a colonoscopy a few months earlier, he would be cance free...most likely. I guess it's an easy enough test that all should do once in awhile, especially for those like you who have cancer in the family.

I wonder if they use a different lube for those of us who may experience "limited slip" once in awhile?
Disagree with the comment colonscopy few months previously he would be cancer free.

Harry
Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Disagree with your troll remark, but upon review of your pic, metal specs are visible. I was unable to duplicate that photo with my oil. I'm not trying to slam you. I'm just making an observation that has been exaggerated. I spent ten minutes examining my oil under a variety of lighting conditions with no specs. AGAIN, THIS IS NORMAL!! As I stated in my previous comments. I used to overhaul engines when I was younger trying to put myself through school. As a more mundane task, I changed oil at least five times a day. I did this for three years. If your oil contained anything larger than the head of a writing pen, you should take a closer look.

BTW, if you have 1/8 "chips" in your oil, you better have your car towed to the dealer and not driven!
Easy there, Steel. The troll comment was not directed at you, but at the troll who posted after you (reread the record). The term metal chips is usually used to describe what falls from a machining tool when cutting metal. So your choice of that word was unfortunate. Again, I was not able to see the microscopic specks in the filter trapped oil except for their glimmer in the sun. ... Did you empty out the trapped oil yourself and examine it like I did in the sun? Btw, I had emailed those pics to my service tech and he said it's normal for the first oil change. He also said that those metal specks are usually from the wear-in of the main bearings. I'll probably change the oil again in 5k miles and examine the condition then.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
That is really unethical for a doctor to tell a patient what he "could" have had had the colonoscopy been done a coupel months sooner. Not to mention, I don't think 2 months would have made any difference. If it had spread to his liver, then it had been moving for years, not months. It's a terrible thing to die from this cancer and after watching my Dad deteriorate and then lose him, this is something I am doing every other summer. My G.I. doc told me that was more than needed and that every 5 years would be just fine. I told him I would rather be overly careful and that is a call I get to make.

.....damn, how did this thread go from oil to rectal exams???

....and now back to our regularly scheduled programming
Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
1999Porsche911 - just curious, but what is your background that gives you so much insight into automotive oils and how they perform?
Somehow this question got overlooked in all the ***-exploration comments.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

gravedgr, i don't think you'll see an answer....
Old 07-31-2006, 01:35 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With zero consumption to start with, my prediction would be that following a switch to 5-40 your engines would actually begin to produce oil
That's funny.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Here's fantastic thread on the CGT forum, Doug Hillary does an amazing job explaining oil.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/249494-c-gt-oil-change.html
Thanks for the link, Rob. Excellent info!

-don
Old 07-31-2006, 02:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by texas911
That's funny.
Actually this post was the first to mention this funny and absurd concept:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=17
Old 07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Living in Texas and being subjected to significant more heat, I'm going with the 5-40wt next time. It's very hard finding the 0 stuff here anyway.
This was my thinking, for the summer at least, but now I am finding (as of this am) that 5-40 Mobil 0ne is labeled as "For diesels, trucks and suv's" and is no longer listed on their website under "supersyn technology" I have no idea what the change is, or if there is one, but it does not look good for this plan. Others still finding it in the old format?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Actually this post was the first to mention this funny and absurd concept:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=17
Not to worry. I'll prepare a royalty check and share authorship with you.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Not to worry. I'll prepare a royalty check and share authorship with you.
No worries.

But I'll take the royalty check.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
This was my thinking, for the summer at least, but now I am finding (as of this am) that 5-40 Mobil 0ne is labeled as "For diesels, trucks and suv's" and is no longer listed on their website under "supersyn technology" I have no idea what the change is, or if there is one, but it does not look good for this plan. Others still finding it in the old format?
My kid's Ford Escape has a V6, and runs 0W-30 synthetic from the factory... I think that our friends at Mobil are looking for a new marketing slant - like the extra 5 viscosity base points would make a great difference for truck motors... whatever.

I'm sure it's the same oil in the bottle. I'm also thinking about 5W-40 when I change the oil...

-don
Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

dstrimbu, the M1 5w40 is quite a different oil than the 0w40...but both will work and meet the specs required. The labeling is purely for marketing purposes...there is strong evidence that the 5w40 is simply re-badged Mobil Delvac 1 which is one of the stoutest oils Mobil makes. read the Doug Hillary link for more insight.....
Old 07-31-2006, 06:43 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry OCBen. Seriously.

I opened my filter, cut it into pieces, swished it around in the oil and examined it with a magnifying glass. I swear, it was so clean I could drink it. To be honest, I was stunned not to find anything at all. This is the exception and not the rule. Metal flakes, or specs (as I should have said previously) are normal. Not having anything is not usual. I drive this car pretty hard, too which is strange. When I changed oil years ago, I kept a magnetic pen in my pocket and would swish it around the oil after I emptied the car. I could usually guess how long a car had their last oil changed (combined with the texture and color of the oil). Oil becomes almost water like and blacker (if that's possible) as it breaks down. Sometimes I could pull up a dimes worth of metal from oil. Incredible.

Quick Reply: OIL--why 0-40wt? Study w/great facts...