Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption - Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Oil consumption - Is this possible?

Got the car a few weeks ago and have approx. 1,800 miles on it. I don't recall where the oil level was when I picked the car up (was too excited I guess, so didn't pay attention when the sales guy showed me how to check oil) but I'm pretty sure it was at the top (by top I mean at the top line in the section between the two arrows if that makes sense).

Man, why don't they just put a dipstick in this thing! I've been quite fanatical about checking it and it is different almost every time I check it! So, on Friday I got in and it was below the bottom arrow. The day before it was above. So, I added 1/2 quart and checked about an hour later. Didn't move much at all. Checked 24 hours later and still not much movement. Finished off the quart and checked again and drove it. Long story short is by Sunday I ended up putting in another 1/2 quart. So that's 1 1/2 quart. It is now reading at the top bar, again between the arrows.

This seems a bit excessive, no? I've done some searches here and it seems that most are adding a 1/2 tops. I am not babying the car, but driving fairly hard (no red line), with most shift points at 4,500 - 5,000. Except for a 300 mile round trip last Thursday, most of the driving have been shorter, quick drives around town. And like I said, usually pretty aggressive. Also, I see no sign of leaks anywhere.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the segment display is approximately 1.2 liters or 1.27 quarts. You could check out the Owner's Manual p. 201-203.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:53 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like you overfilled it. A simple search using "oil consumption" as your keywords would have turned up valuable information:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...il+consumption

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...il+consumption

Or this helpful post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=16

Or you could have read your manual which states that by all means, DO NOT OVERFILL.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Best and most reliable/repeatable time to check is before you embark when the engine is cold
Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
gpk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a similar experience with my 997S, bought new in December 2004. I've dumped 5-6 quarts of oil into it since then and just recently passed the 10K mile mark. Took it in to the dealer about halfway thru with my concern about excessive consumption. They couldn't find anything wrong and said that it was "within normal parameters". Had my first oil change at about 8K and they proceeded to overfill it, based on the display. (I again mentioned my concern with consumption and they stuck to their story.) It is now about a bar below "full". I have also noticed that the display will vary by as much as one bar segment depending on how long the car has been sitting. I know that driving style matters, but in my mind I'm not convinced with their explanation. My car also shows a lot more carbon soot on the left side tailpipes, even after the recall. They thought that was odd but couldn't find any explanation for it either! Go figure.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
MMD
Banned

The amount of oil represented by one bar is 0.4 liters. So you can stare at that thing until it goes down from three to zero bars and there will still be enough oil in the engine.

To me that makes up for not having bend over to use a sloppy dipstick.

IOW, it's the car's job to tell me when it needs oil. It will start giving you warnings after the bars go to zero.

Fine with me. Verrrrry convenient. One less thing to deal with.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:28 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check it twice at 2 different stops before adding oil. Add about 1/3 qt. at a time and recheck. Easy does it here.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:23 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

FWIW--with 1600 miles on the odo, I noticed that my oil reading showed 1 bar down from full after displaying full since new. As I don't drive mine everyday, I do the oil level check each time before I start the car. After first displaying 1 bar down, after a couple of days sitting in the garage, the level was once again at the full level. This went on for a couple of weeks--varying between full and one bar down. Then it showed 1 bar down all the time, so I added 4 ounces of oil, now it's back to the top level. As others have noted here, add oil in small increments.

The last link in Ben's post above spells it out--thanks, Ben--and as my example shows, the amount of oil needed to properly top the level off may be quite small. Ben's explanation of the variance in readings of the electronic guages we have further validates this.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

BTW, the Owner's Manual also states you should not exceed 4200 rpm during the first 2000 miles.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:55 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1 1/2 qts. seems like a lot of oil for 1800 breakin miles, in comparison to many on this board.. In 1450 miles I have added less than 1/4 quart, and my breakin has been very hard with almost all 150 mile trips. The guage thing is screwy. I get a different reading after shutting it down and waiting the timed amount, and then the next morning before turn over, always get a higher reading. I presume along with MJones most accurate is after not driving a while and engine cold..Oil has had ample opportunity to flow back into pan..which contradicts Manual that would have you check it at every fueling when engine still hot??
Old 04-03-2006, 05:02 PM
boolala
Race Car

The rationale behind checking it when hot is that at high temperatures any oil contaminants will likely be vaporized and thus not give a falsely high reading as when checked cold.

I had the same experience as gpk. I had the dealer change the oil at 10,000 miles and when I got it back it was one bar above the full mark. I assumed that they had overfilled it because it was not totally drained of oil when they started adding it.

I have yet to add any oil to this thing and it makes me wonder if the gauge is accurate.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:51 PM
drbf
Pro

I have 3500 miles and have not needed to add any oil. It sounds as if your oil consumption is high.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, check it when you stop for gas...right!

The darn gas tank is so small that I fill up and still hav eto wait 6 min 37 sec for an accurate reading. In a gas station? Sure I have nothing better to do.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

The best time to check you oil is early in the morning right before you drive the car. How level you garage will also effect the reading. Check it a few time and if the readings are consistance, then add 1/3 quart and wait for a few day and check again.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-Check the oil level once every week before morning start-up (cold engine...)

-Always check the oil level while the P-car is parked in your garage (same elevation and level).

This will provide an accurate reading.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption - Is this possible?