Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
...there is strong evidence that the 5w40 is simply re-badged Mobil Delvac 1 which is one of the stoutest oils Mobil makes. .....

Great oil.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mobil 1 5w40 surpasses 0w40 and has approvals beyond those awarded to mobil 0W40
Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that what is most important is what Porsche does to all new engines at the factory. Before the engine gets installed in the car, it gets dynoed and the oil is changed. Therefore, all the initial and most damaging wear (which supposedly occurs when the engine is brand spanking new) is done under controlled conditions and that oil is discarted.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

What I found most interesting from Hillary's discussions is how you can change oil TOO frequently, and wind up hurting your engine. Optimal was, what,--5-8k miles? More importantly was the filter cartridge change somewhere in the middle, and then top off the oil level.

Does anyone know if the 997 oil drain plug is magnetized? I figured that would be a good way to see what's happening inside, too.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:23 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by chago996
I think that what is most important is what Porsche does to all new engines at the factory. Before the engine gets installed in the car, it gets dynoed and the oil is changed. Therefore, all the initial and most damaging wear (which supposedly occurs when the engine is brand spanking new) is done under controlled conditions and that oil is discarted.
I thought this was done too, but many people have argued about this and the consequent need (or lack thereof) for a break-in period. Do you have this is print anywhere?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default So, Why Not Amsoil???

I asked this question some time aqgo.

Amsoil is not on the Porsche approved oil list. Yet, the link to the article that this thread is based on clearly lists Amsoil as their number one choice.

With the variety of grades, use this test as a guide but always follow the manufacturer's recommendation. But if we were to stick our neck out in anticipation of the law suits, from the information we gathered specific to the supplied oils in this test, we'd rate the oils in the following order:

1. AMSOIL
2. BP Visco 5000
3&4. Both Mobil 1 (difference between price)
5. Hi-Tec HTO
6. Shell Helix Ultra
7. Royal Purple
8. Castrol R
9. Castrol SLX
10. Torco
I use Amsoil in all my vehicles (Engine, Differentials, Tranny) and have never had a problem with any of these items in any car.

Does anyone have any idea why Amsoil is not approved? I use the Mobil 1 0w-40 as recommended, but I would sure like to use the Amsoil 2000 racing oil. I also get it at cost.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

grvdgr - I think the engine stand break in of every engine is somewhere on the PAG web site. I am sure I have seen it there. Each engine is tested to make sure it makes rated power and run for 20 minutues I think. I also think that the break in period of for the other mechanical parts which are not run on the test stand, transmission, differential, CVs bearings etc.

Dario - I believe that it costs the oil company to have Porsche approve their products. Amsoil may not have the resources to do this. I also suspect that Mobil pays Porsche for the privelege of being exclusive. Shell has a deal like that with Ferrari - use nothing but Shell Helix on your Ferrari or they will deny warranty coverage! Not being endorsed by Porsche does not mean that the product is in any way inferior.

Best,
Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
I asked this question some time aqgo.
Amsoil is not on the Porsche approved oil list. Yet, the link to the article that this thread is based on clearly lists Amsoil as their number one choice.
Does anyone have any idea why Amsoil is not approved? I use the Mobil 1 0w-40 as recommended, but I would sure like to use the Amsoil 2000 racing oil. I also get it at cost.
Here is the quote from Doug:

Some oils become more viscous (they thicken) in use and this may be why the likes of Amsoil is not on Porsche's Approved oil List. With modern engine technologies an oil that thickens one level out of original viscosity is much more damaging than one that thins one level
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
grvdgr - I think the engine stand break in of every engine is somewhere on the PAG web site. I am sure I have seen it there. Each engine is tested to make sure it makes rated power and run for 20 minutues I think. I also think that the break in period of for the other mechanical parts which are not run on the test stand, transmission, differential, CVs bearings etc.
Thanks Bob!

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Originally Posted by gravedgr
1999Porsche911 - just curious, but what is your background that gives you so much insight into automotive oils and how they perform?
Somehow this question got overlooked in all the ***-exploration comments.
Originally Posted by bgiere
gravedgr, i don't think you'll see an answer....
I didn't think so either, but I wanted to give him plenty of opportunity to reply. Which he did not.

Quick Reply: OIL--why 0-40wt? Study w/great facts...