Headers, Exhaust and hp gain

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 06:26 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers, Exhaust and hp gain

Headers, Exhaust and hp gain

I know there's been a lot of discussion on this before and there's been parties in both camps about hp to be gained or not. The Caymanclub board seems to have found 21hp and 16ft-lbs of torque with a Milltek exhaust. Good gains for the 3.4L. I would have to say it would be interesting if someone performed similar before and after dyno runs for the 997. Possibly someone has and I haven't been on the board long enough but it didn't seem like anyone had. Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I sincerely doubt Porsche left any significant and easily attainable horsepower on the table with any of the current models. Competition is too stiff not to get every last HP out.

I've also read posts on Cayman boards regarding the intake debris guard thingy...some say its removal nets a bazillion horsepower, others say it doesn't add one. Bottom line...don't believe internet rumors or aftermarket parts makers claims. Do an exhaust because you like the sound, not because you will be gaining any significant horsepower.

And headers aren't legal in CA.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan, I agree. if there is any HP gain, just look at it as a bonus.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I sincerely doubt Porsche left any significant and easily attainable horsepower on the table with any of the current models. Competition is too stiff not to get every last HP out.

I've also read posts on Cayman boards regarding the intake debris guard thingy...some say its removal nets a bazillion horsepower, others say it doesn't add one. Bottom line...don't believe internet rumors or aftermarket parts makers claims. Do an exhaust because you like the sound, not because you will be gaining any significant horsepower.

And headers aren't legal in CA.
I know this has been discussed/debated ad nauseum but someone wrote in the recent issue of European Car that the Sport switch on the new GT3 provided additional HP and torque (I believe low teens) in a narrow RPM range because the silencer in the muffler was bypassed. I don't know where the author got his info and certainly don't know if the plumbing on the GT3 is that different than the 997.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Speed
Pro

Do a search for AWE on this forum. They did a before and after dyno tests on my 2005 997S cabriolet and documented modest increases in hp and torque with their headers, cats and mufflers.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:47 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

So I was talking to Mike over at AWE and asked him if it was possible to use AWE headers and cats with the PSE mufflers. He said that they currently don't offer that configuration but would be willing to do it if someone wanted to lend them a car to test fit. Any takers out there? I think it would be a cool idea to utilize the AWE headers and hi-flow cats but still have the flexibility to make the car quiet via the button for PSE. Thoughts? better yet anyone willing to let AWE borrow their car to try it out. I would but I'm on the west coast. Wonder if the combination has any level of drone in the car?

steve
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Anyone can add a little bit of HP to an engine if it is allowed to breathe a bit easier,--and with a reduction in back pressure. What Porsche has working against them is simple. They're a manufacturer who has to get these things certified. The aftermarket guys can do just about anything. As others have mentioned above, Porsche wasn't about to leave any low hanging fruit out there for some aftermarket shop to grab.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Anyone can add a little bit of HP to an engine if it is allowed to breathe a bit easier...
Yes, however aftermarket tuners usually fail to mention that the few peak HP they are able to squeeze out are at the expense of low-end power, smoothness in the power curve (driveability), etc.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
...and certainly don't know if the plumbing on the GT3 is that different than the 997.
Entirely different motor, exhaust, etc.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:05 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the full AWE system and have been satisfied with it. Power gains are real, not imaginary. No losses at low rpm. Total cost, including shipping and installation, was about $4300.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichaelL
I have the full AWE system and have been satisfied with it. Power gains are real, not imaginary. No losses at low rpm. Total cost, including shipping and installation, was about $4300.
What's that amount to in $/hp?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 AM
stom_m3
Instructor

Actually I found the link that shows quite a bit of information on this;

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=headers

So this was discussed at length before and Mike @ AWE put his product on the line and tested it. It came up 24hp and 24ft-lbs of torque. Not bad.

I guess this leaves the question of can this be adapted with the PSE. I wonder if there would be any drone with the PSE.

Current AWE owners, do you notice any drone in the cabin. If so, what rpm is it present at?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about 90-95 AWHP at a cost of less than $14K? Any takers?

We're not talking, "feels like it's better, and man I sound badass" we're talking, "no doubt, it grunts".
Old 07-27-2006, 03:13 AM
stom_m3
Instructor

Allegretto - FI is different beast. Sure bang for the buck theory and all but for NA, I think exhaust shows to provide decent gains.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:14 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichaelL
I too have the full AWE system on my 997S and ran before and after dynos....I received about a 25 HP gain with 91 octane.

Quick Reply: Headers, Exhaust and hp gain