911S feasibility study

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Public Transport?

Originally Posted by icon
dan, you left out how he's going to get to work?
If your commute is that short use public transport - faster, cheaper and less damaging to your car - or walk it. I think in your case unless I could use public transport or could walk to walk I would get something like a used Audi TT or Mazda Miata and use the E55 Wagon exclusively for baby hauling.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Obviously you don't own one. I have an '05 E55 and a 997S. I love them both. The E55 is blast on the highway. Not too many cars can keep up with it. You just point and shoot where you want to go. To compare these two is unfair since one is a luxo sport sedan, and the other a pure breed sports car.
no, i don't own one, not as lucky you.

i am sure E55 is a great GT on the highway with huge pull power. but i am trying to save the OP some cost to get a 997S.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New C4 owner

I am one of those links that asked the same question.

DC is fine to drive in. Just need to know where to park and parts of town to avoid. And you can park at a metro outside the city, and take the Metro downtown if you are that concerned.

I sold a 2003 M3 and a 2004 VW Touareg to buy the car. One week, and 1,100 miles later, I am still smiling.

If you really want the car, pull the trigger.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:20 PM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Public transpiration? Walking? That's absurd. It might be cheaper (I highly doubt quicker) but I like to drive and the added cost is well worth not having to deal with the many hassles associated with public transportation.

The 997S is a fine daily driver. I live 10 minutes from work and still take the Porsche. Those 10 minutes get extended on most days because I take the long route. Like I said, I like to drive.
I also take my 15 month old many places in the 997S (as I have done since I picked up my car in January).
Old 07-25-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The Porsche can 'handle' it but I think you'll find that it isn't enough time to thoroughly warm up the car. I have about a 10 minute drive to one of my offices and I would rather not drive the car for such a short distance. In that part of the country you have high humidity and it will wind up in the engine and since the engine isn't warmed up enough to get rid of that moisture it will ultimately not do it any good.

But as others have said, a Porsche isn't a rational automobile solution for anyone for the most part. It's impractical and is not 'transportation' in the conventional sense.

Most people who are contemplating a 911 purchase are certainly not going to be dissuaded by anyone on an anonymous web site. All that will happen is that several issues may come up that the prospective buyer didn't consider and he/she has a bit more to think about.

Many people, too, are worried all the time about where to park their $100k machine and Washington, D.C. isn't exactly downtown Tombstone, Arizona at 5 pm, if you catch my drift. If you already have secure, covered parking in DC then several issues go away.

I drove a 911 as my only transportation for about 6 years. But it wasn't a $100k machine in those days, either. I'm not saying that they're not reliable but you have to remember that there's a lot more going on with these things today. If you're simply leasing the car and not buying the car then do anything you want. You're not the 'owner' per se and thus have little to worry about when it comes to wear and tear (as long as it's within the account's definition).
Gotch ya. I think with synthetic oils etc and the close tolerences of modern day 911's it can handle everyday short trips just fine without any serious consequences at all. Beside my car gets up to full operating temp in about 5 mins (that's in FL though). Now the stop and go driving with a six speed could be a big pain, perhaps a tip would suit him better.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:05 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by 500
Gotch ya. I think with synthetic oils etc and the close tolerences of modern day 911's it can handle everyday short trips just fine without any serious consequences at all. Beside my car gets up to full operating temp in about 5 mins (that's in FL though). Now the stop and go driving with a six speed could be a big pain, perhaps a tip would suit him better.
997 has 9 qt oil to heat up. short trips won't be good.

tip? wait for the DSG.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:24 PM
mdonline
Instructor

Life is too short. Just get it and enjoy. Even if you don't drive it, it is a beauty to look at. Better than a scale model on a shelf. Get the full size version for the garage.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

I still have my 2000 3-series BMW coupe that I thought I'd use to drive to work. Turns out I'm driving my 997S because I get withdrawl symptoms if I am not in the car and driving at least once a day. Dont worry, I drive it everyday and just got back from a 400 mile roundtrip vacation to Yosemite, wife and kids took the family car and I drove my baby and it was great!

Look at it this way: no matter what you do it will eventually get scratched, dinged, dented, etc... all cars do but you can minimize this to an extent. My 2000 bimmer had only one ding since I bought it new and that was self inflicted. Hit the edge of the metal hot water heater stand in my garage .

I've had the car now for 48 days and have a little over 3000 miles hehe.... I know the novelty will wear off a bit, my baby needs a rest now and then.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
no, i don't own one, not as lucky you.

i am sure E55 is a great GT on the highway with huge pull power. but i am trying to save the OP some cost to get a 997S.
If it boils down to the fun factory than I would go with the 997. It is more fun to drive compared to the E55. They are both great cars just very different.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:37 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Kurt,

are you interested for to Skyline, 35, hwy 9, Alice restaurant etc on a weekend. I go with my buddy about twice a month. Let me know. It is about a 3 hour outing. PM me.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:18 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Add me to the camp that says hold of on the 911 for now. You'll enjoy it MUCH more when your kids are older. My youngest is 4 and my oldest is 7. The 4 year old gets frightend by the exhaust and doesn't like the top down if it is less than 80 degrees. The 7 year old freaks if I nail it.

As much as I love my car, I sometimes think it would have been better to wait for the kids to be a little older.

I also can't think of much worse than having a short commute in these cars. It is just too hard to drive them without being able to enjoy them. It would be like having a supermodel wife and not being able to have sex with her.

The RS4 is a sweet car, but the back seat is a little on the small side though. The E55/63 and M5 have more rear leg room (at least for my 6'1" frame sitting in the E55, M5, and RS4).

If you do decide to do it though, then feel free to PM me. I can help you with any questions you have on the car seat thing.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
...like having a supermodel wife and not being able to have sex with her.

Don't we all have that problem?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
It would be like having a supermodel wife and not being able to have sex with her.
Originally Posted by Edgy01
Don't we all have that problem?
Dan, I think Ron is talking about his ED problem. I really didn't think he was going to go public with it.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

I can't speak to the child seat issues, but the 997 is eminently suitable as a daily driver in all conditions. As too many short runs that don't get the oil hot may be undesirable, the long way home is the answer. The car needs about 10 miles to warm up. Just change the oil twice a year($150+/- at a shop) and take it for a good drive once or twice a week. Check oil every other tank of gas, a quart in 2000 miles is typical. The only maintenance issue with the car is that it eats rear tires. One set of rears every year & fronts every two. If you have a lot of snow, get a second set of wheels with winter tires. I have 12000 miles on a 997S cabrio in its first year. The only days I avoided using it were heavy snow, because it has summer tires. Any daily driver is going to suffer cosmetic damage and wear of some sort.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by pl
997 has 9 qt oil to heat up. short trips won't be good.
I wouldn't give it another thought and I still think the car can handle it just fine.

Quick Reply: 911S feasibility study