Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911S feasibility study

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah but I didn't see a section about spousal approval for the car. That can be very important. Those back seats are tolerable until the kids are older and then you may have a tougher time convincing the wife that you should get this car. (Ok, assuming this is an issue for you at all).

I say do it now.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Queram
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 AM
chrisbferg
2nd Gear

Thanks for the various thoughts - certainly some contrary opinions! They are all rspected and appreciated. I certainly plan on digging in to Soulteacher's list as well.

As for the question re: my thoughts on our E55 AMG wagon - skip it, it's a disappointment. It's a torque monster for sure, but it's weight and (I feel) relatively soft suspension negates much of the fun factor. Also, we have had some problems with it including a supposedly faulty fuel pump which has it into the shop right now. This will be our last MB, for sure. The sad irony is that we originally looked at the Cayenne Turbo, but my wife opted fro the wagon. The only good news is that we're a year in to the three year lease....I can see our Cayenne Turbo S on the horizon.
Thanks again, guys.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

I feel your pain. You will have plenty of time to buy this car later. Be smart--you know what you need to do here. Buy the baby hauler that provides more safety for your precious cargo. I'm not an Audi fan, but would push you that direction at this point in your life. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
OMG.......Wolfgang has become the next OCBen.....
Actually, he just outdid me.

Good job there, Wolfgang, in providing the references to help this newbie with his questions. I like how you organized it too! ... Now that's how you do it when you're trying to help those who come here looking for help!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get what you really want now (997S), you'll smile when you write the check every month. ; )
If you’re leasing the P-car... okay. However, if you plan to own the P-car these are my suggestions:
-Get her a covered parking spot from the elements
-Change her oil once a year
-Keeping her clean and waxed
-Do not lower her
-Get her the extended warranty
-Exercise her/spirited driving
-Get good snow tires and watch out for idiots
-Never park her between two cars
Old 07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
pl
Drifting

get rid of the E55. it's not roomier, not fun to drive either.
then buy a minivan/cayenne + 997S
problem solved.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD
unless you don't care that much about a few dings, dents; even parked off in a corner somewhere there's a PITA "vandalize me" sign on the car visible to all miscreant slime *****.
Buddy, wherever you live, you really have to move. I have never even remotely experienced such a constant threat to any of my possessions.

Originally Posted by MMD
The money spent on a Porsche is pi**ed away. It's not an investment.
I agree it's not a financial investment, but that does not mean there aren't tons of benefits associated with owning a Porsche. It's an investment into my quality of life and I have experienced the benefits at the cognitive, affective, and behavioral level. It has been absolutely awesome and I haven't had a single moment during which I thought I had wasted ("pi**ed away") my money or even part of it. In every single respect, buying the 997 was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deven
OMG.......Wolfgang has become the next OCBen.....
Yay! Does that mean I get to go out with Ben's wife?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Yay! Does that mean I get to go out with Ben's wife?
You'll have to let her speak for herself, though I sincerely doubt it after she got wind that you're looking for a daily driver.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been driving in and out of DC in my C2S for the past two months. 15 miles each way and loving every stint behind the wheel.

My prior ride was an 04 Audi S4...the fifth Audi I had owned in the last 14 years.

No problem with DC roads/commuting patterns. If you are like most P Car drivers you will want to take care where you park...I have a reserved garage spot so that is not an issue for me. Potholes can be addressed with tire/wheel insurance. Lack of a spare can be addressed by purchasing a 996 spare. Driving amongst the masses is not risk free and is addressed through careful and deliberate driving until you are out of harm's way (e.g., leaving DC)

I looked hard at the RS4...I did not connect with the vehicle emotionally and ultimately took a pass. It is a major gas guzzler and overkill for where you are right now. Based on your situation, the rational approach would be to get an A4 2.0TQ Avant...get a chip/flash done and your HP will increase from 200 to 250 and there will be no worries about car seats, strollers, baby puke, and where you park.

Having said all that, buying a new Porsche is not a rational decision...it is an emotional one with rational underpinnings. There is no doubt you can make the P Car choice work...it's a question of what you are willing to give up in order to do so. PM me if you want further insights.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
mikey175
Racer

Chris --

I am definitely in the minority here, but here goes. It's great that you want a 911S and have the means to buy it. It's heady stuff to be able to live your dream. Just ask anyone here. However...

...this is your first child and you have no idea how you will feel as a father responsible for another life. You WILL need to transport this child and you and your bride WILL need to feel your car is a safe choice. If you are 100% convinced that the 911 meets these standards, you should go for it. If you have ANY doubt, my advice...don't do it. Or, do it and get an older, safer beater (Saab, Volvo) for kiddie duties. It is no longer just about you, get used to it.

As to the RS4, I am sure it's a great car, but it's no 911. I am a firm believer in the jack of all trades, master of none philosophy. Better to get one practical car and one just for you; and there are plenty of great choices for both that can fit into an RS4 or 911S budget.

For what it's worth, my 911 waited until my kid was well out of a car seat and able to ride safely in the front seat.

Good luck with your decision.

-- M
Old 07-25-2006, 01:42 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
get rid of the E55. it's not roomier, not fun to drive either.
then buy a minivan/cayenne + 997S
problem solved.
Obviously you don't own one. I have an '05 E55 and a 997S. I love them both. The E55 is blast on the highway. Not too many cars can keep up with it. You just point and shoot where you want to go. To compare these two is unfair since one is a luxo sport sedan, and the other a pure breed sports car.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbferg

As for the question re: my thoughts on our E55 AMG wagon - skip it, it's a disappointment. It's a torque monster for sure, but it's weight and (I feel) relatively soft suspension negates much of the fun factor. Also, we have had some problems with it including a supposedly faulty fuel pump which has it into the shop right now. This will be our last MB, for sure. The sad irony is that we originally looked at the Cayenne Turbo, but my wife opted fro the wagon. The only good news is that we're a year in to the three year lease....I can see our Cayenne Turbo S on the horizon.
Thanks again, guys.
Sorry to hear about your BM problems. I purchased my E55 brand new in Jan. 2005 and have never had a single problem with it. What other problems have you had other than the fuel pump?

I do go into NYC a few times a month. I DONOT take either car since I have other cars for this( an '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a '99 Lincoln). I mostly take my Lincoln since I can park it anywhere and not care about it. I have been side swiped, rear ended, and nearly run onto the sidewalk by NYC taxi cabs. Thank God I was in my Lincoln and not in the E55 or the 997S , when I was rear ended at a red light in NYC by the taxi. I got out of my Hot Rod Lincoln and just laughed at the non english speaking taxi cab driver Having told you my experience I would not take any nice car into a highly congested city. You are just asking for trouble.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:05 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I agree it's not a financial investment, but that does not mean there aren't tons of benefits associated with owning a Porsche. It's an investment into my quality of life and I have experienced the benefits at the cognitive, affective, and behavioral level. It has been absolutely awesome and I haven't had a single moment during which I thought I had wasted ("pi**ed away") my money or even part of it. In every single respect, buying the 997 was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
Agree, 100%!

Quick Reply: 911S feasibility study