Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver test C6Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:49 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by verbs
Insane isn't it? It's actually going to have 680hp-700hp, weigh 2850-2900lbs, and have a supercharged 6.2L V8.
Yep, that's the one. No doubt it'll smoke the entire Porsche 911 range and probably give the $400k Carrera GT a run for its money. Ultimately, the Z06 vs. Carrera Turbo comparison is pretty useless. The Turbo is the pinnacle of refinement and makes an awesome daily driver. Tame as a pussycat, quiet as a mouse and smooth as the mid section of a 19 year old co-ed, until you put your foot down.

The Z06 equals or beats the Turbo in outright performance but, it's a brutal beast that has a hell-hot transmission tunnel, harsh ride, poor visibility and really, a much sharper focus. I'd really enjoy a Z06 for spirited drives and track days but, for my 80 mile a day commute, errands, ergonomics, and quality, the Porsche is my choice even at a much higher price.

MC
Old 07-20-2006, 02:03 AM
drj9000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM sells the vette at a loss just to get you in the dealership, they know you'll need a daily driver car or pickup and thats where they hope to make the money. Some $50k+ pickup truck that's where they make the money.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Insane isn't it? It's actually going to have 680hp-700hp, weigh 2850-2900lbs, and have a supercharged 6.2L V8.

It appears we have a wolf among the sheep! Verbs - what bow tie product do you own?

FWIW - I applaud Chevy for building the Vette. It's probably the best performance value out there.

Of course, for less money I could own a car that would whip the Z06, 911 Turbo and plenty of others. It's the Ariel Atom and it's a quantum leap less acceptable as a daily driver but has nearly unequaled performance. On the sliding scale of performance, value and daily drivability, I guess everyone could find a car that aligns with their needs.

MC
Old 07-20-2006, 02:10 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drj9000
GM sells the vette at a loss just to get you in the dealership, they know you'll need a daily driver car or pickup and thats where they hope to make the money. Some $50k+ pickup truck that's where they make the money.
Last I looked at GM's financials, it appeared they sell everything at a loss.

MC
Old 07-20-2006, 03:27 AM
verbs
AutoX

Originally Posted by H20NOO
It appears we have a wolf among the sheep! Verbs - what bow tie product do you own?
No bowtie, I drive a Cadillac CTS-V. It was a toss up between that and a Cayman S which I shopped, but since I needed back seats for my clients, the CTS-V won out.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:36 AM
verbs
AutoX

Yep, that's the one. No doubt it'll smoke the entire Porsche 911 range and probably give the $400k Carrera GT a run for its money. Ultimately, the Z06 vs. Carrera Turbo comparison is pretty useless. The Turbo is the pinnacle of refinement and makes an awesome daily driver. Tame as a pussycat, quiet as a mouse and smooth as the mid section of a 19 year old co-ed, until you put your foot down.

The Z06 equals or beats the Turbo in outright performance but, it's a brutal beast that has a hell-hot transmission tunnel, harsh ride, poor visibility and really, a much sharper focus. I'd really enjoy a Z06 for spirited drives and track days but, for my 80 mile a day commute, errands, ergonomics, and quality, the Porsche is my choice even at a much higher price.

MC
This supervette will definitely not be daily driver friendly It will however be fast as ****....and to your coed reference
Old 07-20-2006, 12:22 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
XXXXactly!

So when you are on the streets in your TT and at a light with a snooty driver in a Z06 you can just smile because you know:

a. the guy most likely has less money to throw around and
b. is probably suffering a PITA from the harsh, hot, monsterous ride.

In the end, most TT owners will not / should not care if a Z06 is slightly faster. All TT owners clearly have the money to buy either car and made their choice to buy the TT. Not all Z06/Vette owners have the option to buy the TT (some, but not all). So from the Porsche owner's perspective it's not an issue (bragging rights) since the cards were layed out on the table and they made their choice.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:39 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

For me there's more to it than outright performance. I'm not buying a Turbo but my 997S priced out at a point that would have covered a new Z06, a Silverado pickup and probably a nice motorcycle. There's a pride of ownership with the Porsche that I wouldn't get with a Z06. Quite frankly, I'm happy I have the choice but the decision is very clear.

I have many friends who are Vette owners and regularly make disparaging comments about Porsches. There is a different mentality among many Vette owners that I've known and it's fueled by a relentless need to challenge and/or berate Porsches. As you've read in my posts, I'm impressed with the Corvette and am not prone to bashing the cars of others. I just think the Porsche crowd is a better fit for me. If you assembled a large group of 911 owners and Corvette owners, you'd find a VERY different demographic and attitude.

MC
Old 07-20-2006, 12:49 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

At the risk of belaboring the issue, one more comment. How many 997S owners long for more performance? Not too many. How many Turbo owners long for more performance? Fewer still. How often are we driving around at full throttle, on a regular basis? Rarely. So, all the 0-60, quarter mile and lateral cornering performance statistics provide well earned bragging rights and not much in practical terms. Which car would you rather drive under "normal" circumstances for pride of ownership, quality, ease of use and occasional romps to redline?

MC
Old 07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's funny how so many wrongly think that what people drive or where they live is a good indictaor of their financial status. So many do not live within their financial means, but simply live within "how big of a monthly payment can I afford". Value of assets has absolutley nothing to do with wealth.

So to say that a guy who drives a $40,000 car for which he paid cash is poorer than someone driving a $100,000 car he is leasing or financing is simply incorrect. I know people who have millions in assets, yet have little net worth. I also know people who live in moderate homes and drive moderate cars but could buy and sell many on this forum, many times over.

So, to say that most Porsche owners could buy a Vet yet most Vet owners could not buy a Porsche is absolutely ridiculas.

That would be like saying that many Porsche owners could not afford their Porsche without mommy and daddy's money. Oops. I probably hit a nerve with some here.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:00 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

No bowtie, I drive a Cadillac CTS-V. It was a toss up between that and a Cayman S which I shopped, but since I needed back seats for my clients, the CTS-V won out.

CTS-V is an impressive car. Hats of to Cadillac for pulling themselves out of the grave with a performance image. You might appreciate these pics of GM testing the DyMag magnesium and carbon fiber wheels on the CTS. Obviously they haven't introduced them on a production car yet (only Koeniggsegg has them standard) but it's great to see Cadillac examining such advanced ideas. The wheels weigh only about 18lbs each.

MC
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2006, 01:13 PM
pl
Drifting

At the risk of belaboring the issue, one more comment. How many 997S owners long for more performance? Not too many. How many Turbo owners long for more performance? Fewer still. How often are we driving around at full throttle, on a regular basis? Rarely. So, all the 0-60, quarter mile and lateral cornering performance statistics provide well earned bragging rights and not much in practical terms. Which car would you rather drive under "normal" circumstances for pride of ownership, quality, ease of use and occasional romps to redline?

MC
lexus
Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM
RyanITV
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MMD
XXXXactly!

So when you are on the streets in your TT and at a light with a snooty driver in a Z06 you can just smile because you know:

a. the guy most likely has less money to throw around and
b. is probably suffering a PITA from the harsh, hot, monsterous ride.
Ouch. By that logic, I suppose when I'm heading to the beach for a day in my Jeep Wrangler, that means most people have more money to throw around than the $25k it cost? Ignoring the 2006 Z06, 2005 NSX and 2005 Range Rover parked back in the garage, of course.

The vehicle you're in usually has nothing to do with income. I knew a guy years ago that worked for a friend of mine who drove a new SL, yet lived in trailer park.

The TT is a great car - I'd love to get one (as it'll let me take out my wife and daughter) once a cabrio is released and the prices stabilize. Till then, the new 2006 C2S Cab will replace the NSX for my wife and I'll plug along in the Z06.

Ryan
Old 07-20-2006, 02:50 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to brake it to you but a caddy just as well should be a bow tie! IMO every old man when they get old and can no longer fit in their 'vette will buy a caddy. I can not believe how much GM is selling some of their cars for and what do you get? Ya the vette is a bargain but when you go to buy a family car like a Tahoe or suburban you will pay about 40-50K That is freaking crazy!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:12 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It's funny how so many wrongly think that what people drive or where they live is a good indictaor of their financial status. So many do not live within their financial means, but simply live within "how big of a monthly payment can I afford". Value of assets has absolutley nothing to do with wealth.
Well said [except for your last jab]. It's crazy when I see people with car payments the size of a mortgage. It seems so simple yet so many don't get it: you gain wealth by saving, not spending. I'm sure Robert Kiyosaki could say it better...but you get the gist.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver test C6Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....