Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver test C6Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:06 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It's funny how so many wrongly think that what people drive or where they live is a good indictaor of their financial status. So many do not live within their financial means, but simply live within "how big of a monthly payment can I afford". Value of assets has absolutley nothing to do with wealth.

So to say that a guy who drives a $40,000 car for which he paid cash is poorer than someone driving a $100,000 car he is leasing or financing is simply incorrect. I know people who have millions in assets, yet have little net worth. I also know people who live in moderate homes and drive moderate cars but could buy and sell many on this forum, many times over.

So, to say that most Porsche owners could buy a Vet yet most Vet owners could not buy a Porsche is absolutely ridiculas.

That would be like saying that many Porsche owners could not afford their Porsche without mommy and daddy's money. Oops. I probably hit a nerve with some here.
Hey, I agree with you. If you're referring to my post my point is that if you opt to buy a more expensive car (regardless of how you pay for it) then you've already made the decision it's the one for you, and are accepting of any performance gap you give up with that decision.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:35 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by verbs
I'm fairly surprised, looks like acceleration wise the ZO6 from any speed other than a dead stop, is quite a bit faster than the 997TT, and it outperforms the 997TT at the track. F430's lack of torque hurts. Discuss.

uuhhhhhhh...the ZO6 is almost 400 pounds lighter than the 997TT and has 25 more hP.....fail math at school did we??

Last edited by NOBLEGT3; 07-20-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:00 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H20NOO
I have many friends who are Vette owners and regularly make disparaging comments about Porsches. There is a different mentality among many Vette owners that I've known and it's fueled by a relentless need to challenge and/or berate Porsches. As you've read in my posts, I'm impressed with the Corvette and am not prone to bashing the cars of others. I just think the Porsche crowd is a better fit for me. If you assembled a large group of 911 owners and Corvette owners, you'd find a VERY different demographic and attitude.

MC
I've owned both, three vettes, including an 02 Z06 and now a 02 911 C4S. I'm not a vette guy or a porsche guy, I'm a car guy.

Both are great cars, I love both vettes and 911's. My C4S seems slow compared to my Z06, but the 911 is the complete driving experince, AND I can take my wife and 2yr old daughter for a drive at the same time.

Both are great cars. Why do we have to choose sides? We should be glad there are so many great cars to choose from. Competition makes cars better for everyone.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
I've owned both, three vettes, including an 02 Z06 and now a 02 911 C4S. I'm not a vette guy or a porsche guy, I'm a car guy.

Both are great cars, I love both vettes and 911's. My C4S seems slow compared to my Z06, but the 911 is the complete driving experince, AND I can take my wife and 2yr old daughter for a drive at the same time.

Both are great cars. Why do we have to choose sides? We should be glad there are so many great cars to choose from. Competition makes cars better for everyone.
I think part of the problem is that both cars have very loyal followers. Like me, I've been a Porsche nut since I was 9, posters on the wall, model cars, owning a 911 has been a dream come true for me.

There are some Vette owners who are the same way, so it's only natural you get placed on a side when discussing your cars.

Now Ferrari vs. Aston Martin I could be objective about because who really cares about either?

It's like someone being a Rangers fan AND an Islanders fan... not too many people can claim that. Oh yeah Islanders are retarded, Garth Snow.. hahaha... anyway.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
uuhhhhhhh...the ZZ6 is almost 400 pounds lighter than the 997TT and has 25 more hP.....fail math at school did we??

Now if they could just make them where the roof stays on. Seriously, I think the Z06 is great performance car but I sure as hell wouldn't want one as a DD. The interior heat from that thing must be unbearable on warm days and the interior was selected directly from the 2005 Tupperware catalog. To say that this car has average build quality is being generous.

I owned the 400 hp C6 before I purchased my Cayman S. I was washing the C6 one day when my wife walked behind me as I was washing the tail light area of the car. The rear bumper covering caved in about four inches from the pressure of my hand and she said "oh yeah, that looks real safe"

Different strokes for different folks. I did it once and now I know that I just prefer not to wrap my *** in fibergalss.

Last edited by amerlemans; 11-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:21 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Well stated! However, being a Porsche forum the passion is going to lean (heavily) in that direction!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
GM is ALMOST there with the Z06... so, so close to a great drive but not quite yet. They've got the power down, they've got the build quality down... they just need to make the handling and the interior more GT3 RS like. Less bling, more exhaust note, steering so sharp that it would filet fish... and a little more visibility from the drivers seat.
Do they really have the quality down? There are already recalls and bunch of TSBs related to the clutch, flywheel, transmission, differential and a recent recall on the roof. If anything, they have gotten worse. According to their quality ratings in JD Powers they have dropped and become worse. C5 Z06's never had a problem with their hardtop structure randomly flying off and becoming a targa. Definitely a bang for the buck in performance, not quality.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If Chevrolet really stood by their product then they'd increase their warranty. They have the worst warranty in the automotive industry.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:07 AM
robsc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Do they really have the quality down? There are already recalls and bunch of TSBs related to the clutch, flywheel, transmission, differential and a recent recall on the roof. If anything, they have gotten worse. According to their quality ratings in JD Powers they have dropped and become worse. C5 Z06's never had a problem with their hardtop structure randomly flying off and becoming a targa. Definitely a bang for the buck in performance, not quality.

The only recall the C6 Z06 has is the Roof (defective glue attaching the roof skin). Every thing else works great. ( i know this because i got one).

I think the build quality is great on this car. Remember this is the first year model, and the only problem so far is some glue that they use in only one spot.

Remember all the problems the 996 911 had when they first came out. But we arnt saying Porsche has bad build quality.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera

If you are going to judge quality by the number of TSB's issued, Porsche would be last in quality. There are more than 100 TSB's issued on some 996 years.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:02 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Just to add $.02, and this may be an un-popular position, but here goes;

1) All three cars in the test are much faster and capable of much more performance than one can exploit in virtually any street situation. And, certainly if you value youself and others you can drop the "virtually" part of that previous sentence.
2) All three cars are faster than 95+% of their owners in any given situation
3) A decent track driver in any of the three will absolutely stomp the average owner of any of the others on the track, by at least 5-10 sec depending on the venue.
4) I don't put much creadence in what I read in mags because;
a) most journalists cannot drive that well
b) they are too full of crap
c) if the cars were really tested under decent conditions, the results should be more comparible from article to article instead of the wild swings we see.
d) I'm sure the manufacturers just send them any old car off the assembly line (NOT!)
e) I don't drive magazines, I drive cars.

If you have the coin, just drive all the cars in your range and buy the one that seems to match your expectations. Not what some masturbating wannabe journalist thinks is cool.

I've bought things and sold things. I'm still struck by folks who want to make decisions like this from what they read instead of what they feel.

I like Porsches for many reasons and my decisions past, present and future will not be based on some BS "round up" "shootout" "monster comparo".

I'm not dissing you guys, I'm just burnt out on car mag BS.

YMMV
Old 07-22-2006, 12:16 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Of course, for less money I could own a car that would whip the Z06, 911 Turbo and plenty of others. It's the Ariel Atom and it's a quantum leap less acceptable as a daily driver but has nearly unequaled performance.

MC
Yeah baby! A2 all the way. That or a Radical is my next car. Street cars can be fun on the track for a while, but once you drive a purpose-built racer on the track...the game is over. Formula or bodied, it's no contest.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I think that's a pretty good outlook Allegretto. As for me, I'm sold on Porsche forever - always wanted one, got one, exceeded expectations, will get many more (wallet permitting).
Old 07-22-2006, 12:57 PM
verbs
AutoX

Originally Posted by IaAaron
hate to brake it to you but a caddy just as well should be a bow tie! IMO every old man when they get old and can no longer fit in their 'vette will buy a caddy. I can not believe how much GM is selling some of their cars for and what do you get? Ya the vette is a bargain but when you go to buy a family car like a Tahoe or suburban you will pay about 40-50K That is freaking crazy!
Yeah, old men drive 400hp six speeds

I was able to pick up a brand new one for $42K, and it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I ALMOST put a deposit down on a Vette, but took the more responsible route for once in my life
Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 PM
vtach88
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think that's a pretty good outlook Allegretto. As for me, I'm sold on Porsche forever - always wanted one, got one, exceeded expectations, will get many more (wallet permitting).
Amen. I bought my dream as well....

Alternatively, one could say that I like showing the world that I have so much cash, that I can afford to pay a premium to drive a slower car....

Quick Reply: Car and Driver test C6Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....