Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now, Euro delivery is costing me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Now, Euro delivery is costing me!!!

Now that I am back from my Euro delivery trip is when I find out the real skinny!!!

Euro delivery is costing me $$$$. Porsche does not only charge for Euro delivery, $2250 in my case, but require a $10k deposit for German VAT. You get that 10k back when the car returns to a US port.

Here is where you get screwed! When you register the car the Monroney label has the VAT deposit on it. The state taxes you on the deposit! Well this is the case in the state where I was going to register it. Dealership told me Porsche has been communicated this problem with their format, but they pretend not to know what is going on??!?!

The thing that bothers me is that Porsche knows of this, but doesn't care to simply change th format! All they have to do is leave it off the monroney label.

So the let it me known, that you pay taxes a refundable deposit!

I am not sure why Mercedes/BMW don't take a deposit for German VAT, maybe they just respect their customers more
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 145 Posts

You don't pay CA sales/use tax based on the Monroney sticker...the CA DMV taxes you based on the sales price on the dealers' purchase order. Hopefully they itemized the deposit separately...
Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You get interest on 10k when it is returned as well
Old 07-18-2006, 01:40 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried talking them into itemizing the deposit seperately on the purchase order. They will not do it!

The interest is not going to cover the $600 tax on the refundable deposit
Old 07-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the dealer registers your car, I am sure he will not include the VAT deposit as part of the purchase price. If you register it, just show your sales contract. Skip the DMV and go to the Auto Club-AAA. That's what you pay dues for.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:26 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:34 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tkids
I have tried talking them into itemizing the deposit seperately on the purchase order. They will not do it!
Then go to the DMV with whatever paperwork you have showing the return of the deposit. Explain to them that the purchase price is the difference. Obviously the DMV dimwits won't be bending over backwards to save you a few bucks on your $100k+ car; if they are no help you can file for a refund with the CA BOE.

Quick Reply: Now, Euro delivery is costing me!!!