Sponsored by:

New 997 C4S Cab Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:13 AM
gmaier
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997 C4S Cab Questions

I'm looking into getting a new 2006 C4S Cab. Given what appears to be lower nationwide inventory on this particular model, dealers seem more reluctant to offer much of a discount on this car, generally no more than 5-6%, even though the '07s are just around the corner. Nevertheless, I've managed to negotiate a few hard-fought deals, ranging from 8.5-10% below MSRP; the least-equipped car having the greatest discount. Is this kind of discount on an '06 C4S a good deal?

Secondly, I am considering two primary color combinations: white/cocoa and arctic silver/cocoa. I do like the cocoa interior and, having seen both, I think I actually prefer the white exterior, which I wasn't even originally considering. I do wonder, however, whether white (not being your standard silver or black) would have any adverse consequence on resale value. Thoughts?

Finally, the practical side of me has two kids, ages 6 and 2. My 6 year old has gone for a test-drive with me and was perfectly content in the back seat; my 2 year old, I'm sure, will fit back there, just fine, even with a car seat. My question, silly though it may sound, is actually whether one can fit a lightweight folding toddler stroller in the front storage compartment, for those times when I want to stuff the whole family in for a weekend or day trip? Even the Porsche stroller, as listed on their accessories web-site, excludes the C4 as a fitted vehicle. Any ideas?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:10 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I strongly recommend that you take things like that to a dealership and do a fit check. (I did that for luggage awhile back). The C4S has the smallest trunk of the lot and in cabriolet form the backseats are pretty tiny, too. I think calling the C4S Cab a GT would be a bit of a stretch,--no room. How did your kids handle the backrests on the rear seats? In the cabs they are sort of leaning forward.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:47 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the discount sounds in line - the color combo wont hurt you (who care if it does - enjoy the car)
Old 07-15-2006, 02:23 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are only hauling yourself and 2 kids, it should fit fine provided you take a skimpy stroller only and you move the front seat forward a little for your 6 yo.

don't count on using the car for a family day trip if you are going to bring 2 stollers, 2 kids, and wife. you are better off getting a sports sedan or M3. it just won't be comfortable.

it's a practicale sports car but not a family sedan.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:13 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Kids handled the backseat fine, along with my wife in the front passenger seat, though it was not a particularly long test-drive, so long-ride comfort might be a bit more questionable. Don't plan to use this car for long family trips; we have the requisite SUV (Cayenne S) for those adventures. I could, however, envision a day trip where we just want to pack up a stroller (for the 2 year old, only) and, perhaps, a change of clothes.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 997 C4S Cab. Great car for you and your wife. I am quite sure that after a few bouts with the shoehorn and such you will come back down and use the Cayenne for the family.

But a C4S? The perfect GT Cab IMHO. After blowing many Kilobucks on all kinds of Cabs I'm back to this and just wonder why it took me so long. If some manufacturer makes something better, they're keeping it for themselves.

Color? White may cost you a bit at the dealer. if you are willing to market it yourself, maybe not.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:06 AM
gmaier
Intermediate

For those of you also with small kids, I think I may have finally found a stroller that might work with the C4S' limited storage dimensions: the Quinny Zapp. It is generally available in Europe, though seems to have few distributors in the US. Nonetheless, it can be shipped and is billed as the "smallest folded pushchair in the world," measuring a scant 60x27x28cm, when folded. They also specifically state, "Zapp's dimensions make it possible to fit it into absolutely every type of car, with plenty of space left for your weekly grocery shopping!" Not sure about the grocery shopping bit , but at least the stroller should make it into the space-challenged boot of the 997. Yes, the C4S cab is hardly a people mover, but this may be all I need to "justify" pulling the trigger!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:28 AM
gmaier
Intermediate

Pictures of two cars, top-up, under consideration: white/cocoa and arctic/cocoa.
Attached Images   
Old 07-16-2006, 01:49 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gmaier
I'm looking into getting a new 2006 C4S Cab. Given what appears to be lower nationwide inventory on this particular model, dealers seem more reluctant to offer much of a discount on this car, generally no more than 5-6%, even though the '07s are just around the corner. Nevertheless, I've managed to negotiate a few hard-fought deals, ranging from 8.5-10% below MSRP; the least-equipped car having the greatest discount. Is this kind of discount on an '06 C4S a good deal?

Secondly, I am considering two primary color combinations: white/cocoa and arctic silver/cocoa. I do like the cocoa interior and, having seen both, I think I actually prefer the white exterior, which I wasn't even originally considering. I do wonder, however, whether white (not being your standard silver or black) would have any adverse consequence on resale value. Thoughts?

Finally, the practical side of me has two kids, ages 6 and 2. My 6 year old has gone for a test-drive with me and was perfectly content in the back seat; my 2 year old, I'm sure, will fit back there, just fine, even with a car seat. My question, silly though it may sound, is actually whether one can fit a lightweight folding toddler stroller in the front storage compartment, for those times when I want to stuff the whole family in for a weekend or day trip? Even the Porsche stroller, as listed on their accessories web-site, excludes the C4 as a fitted vehicle. Any ideas?

Thanks for any feedback.
I just spent the last 10 hours detailing my Mercedes for a Concours tomorrow so I'm too tired to do a full reply, but here's the summary:

- I own a C4s Cab and have reviewed it (see my sig)

- I have a 7 and 4 year old and can tell you that if you get the Britax Roundabout and Britax Stariser or Stariser Comfy that you'll be in good shape with the kids in the back. The Stariser Comfy isn't being made anymore but you can find it at places like The Right Start and on the internet.

- I've seen GT Silver w/ Cocoa and White with Cocoa, and if I were you'd I'd go with the Arctic one.

- If you want to see how the car is at a drivers skills day, go to video.google.com and search for ronmart for my video.

- If you want to do a smarttop, click SmartTOP in my signature for install instructions

PM me for any more questions
Old 07-16-2006, 09:09 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a silver boxster - easy to keep clean cause dirt doesnt show - but the color never looks spectacular like black or other colors
Old 07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

White/Cocoa over Arctic/Cocoa, my opinion.

Arctic goes very well with Black/Gray. There is nothing in the Arctic formulation to 'pull' the color off well with Cocoa.

GT Silver, on the other hand, DOES work with Cocoa.

If it is between the two shown, I'd go White. Then get some Rejex (we have it), cover the car well with it, and enjoy.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-16-2006, 07:40 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robbonds
i had a silver boxster - easy to keep clean cause dirt doesnt show - but the color never looks spectacular like black or other colors
That's where the GT Silver really "shines". (pun intended )

Quick Reply: New 997 C4S Cab Questions